AMD issues.

Wictorian

I think you got it the other way around OP. 

AMD got a bad reputation because their GPU drivers used to be horrible. They had a horrible mouse cursor corruption glitch if you used multiple monitors and it took them like 3 years to fix. 

They used to suffer very heavily from micro stutters and it wasn't until PCPer started evaluating frame times that AMD started taking the complaints seriously (which once again was several years after the issue was discovered and reported). 

They also used to have a disproportionate amount of driver issues when you looked at Windows statistics. I can't remember the exact numbers but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% market share and like 60% of the GPU driver crashes. 

All of those things were ~10 years ago though. Nowadays it seems like they are alright. They have their occasionally issue but nobody is perfect. 

Their CPUs have had their share of hiccups as well. Ryzen 1000 had notoriously bad memory compatibility for example, but it seems like most of those issues are solved as well. 

I wouldn't say one brand is more stable than another. At least not in any sense that matters to consumers.

You should always try to judge things based on individual products and their merits rather than making generalized statements about an entire brand. Generalizations like that are usually wildly inaccurate. 

12 hours ago, Wictorian said:

I know AMD is infamous for crashes. But I wonder if it is only for CPUs or can AMD GPUs also cause crashes. Or have they fixed this?

i havent heard that before, but that would be really bad for AMD if it is true. AMD is doing really good lately, but this could really mess them up.

Where did you hear this from?

2 hours ago, Coastqr said:

i havent heard that before, but that would be really bad for AMD if it is true. AMD is doing really good lately, but this could really mess them up.

Where did you hear this from?

Apparently this is not really the case anymore but gpus are problematic

I have a Ryzen 5600X paired with a 6800 XT (Gigabyte Gaming OC). And I have had no stability issues (3 weeks old though).

The only thing I have noticed switching from nVidia graphics to AMD is some of my games a few more micro stutters. Like once or twice in a 3 hour gaming session.

I have built 5-6 PC's all with Ryzen for friends and family, not one is having stability issues.

4-5 of them are Ryzen 3600 and 1 is a Ryzen 3300X.

21 hours ago, Wictorian said:

I know AMD is infamous for crashes. But I wonder if it is only for CPUs or can AMD GPUs also cause crashes. Or have they fixed this?

Never heard of a crashing issue for CPU's. The GPU's only the other hand are known for crappy drivers. This goes back to the days before AMD got in to GPU's and the GPU's where from ATI. Though things have gotten a little better on this front. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have Ryzen 5800X and I have zero crashes. Same for Ryzen 2500U in my laptop.

As for graphic card, my last Radeon card that I had was Radeon HD7950. Given how much people whine about it, I'd really like to get my hands on Radeon 6800 XT and see how it works these days (bought RTX 3080 because Radeon cards were entirely unobtainable since day 1 and when they were RX 6800 XT had price tag of 1600€ which is just insane). Relative has Radeon RX 580 and I don't remember him ever complaining about anything.

16 hours ago, Wictorian said:

and I think Norwegians do Sweden jokes.

Yes, indeed. This is true, been a while since I heard any though. Hmmm some good suggestions. Cheers, gonna see when I got more time lol.

1 hour ago, aDoomGuy said:

Yes, indeed. This is true, been a while since I heard any though. Hmmm some good suggestions. Cheers, gonna see when I got more time lol.

Also since your title is Syntax Error location might be line 32

It may be a mobo/BIOS version issue.

My Ryzen 3700x kept crashing constantly when it was in my X370 Pro mobo (which was BIOS-updated to be compatible with the 3xxx CPUs), to the point where my computer was pretty much unusable.

The moment I put the 3700x into a B450 mobo, all problems disappeared and it works perfectly now. The 1600x I use in the X370 Pro is also perfectly stable. No crashes whatsoever. 

The AMD 8150FX I had before I switched to Ryzen was also perfectly stable as far as I remember. It had overheating issues with the stock cooler of course, but once I got a noctua those problems went away.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

My last Radeon GPU was a HD6870 which served me well for about 4 years. Never had any issues with it or at least I don't remember any.

Before that I only used ATI / AMD GPUs and I don't remember having any problems with those back then. But I cannot say anything about the newer stuff.

We have an ASUS Laptop which I rarely use that has a Ryzen 3700U, which has BSOD issues (with an CPU/ RAM related error code) since an update back in fall 2020. Before that it worked fine.

At this point I did basically everything trying to fix it and I was able to decreased the frequency of BSODs to about once a month but I never got it fully fixed.

Apart from that machine I only have Intel systems (which have no issues whatsoever) so I could see how that perception of AMD crashes more comes from but if you know anything about how statistics work one machine that crashes doesn't say anything about all other machines out there. It could be that I just got unlucky or whatever.

Now I got curious about what platform is more stable over a huge number of systems with different configs. Would be pretty interesting to see a long term study on this I think.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

16 hours ago, Wictorian said:

Apparently this is not really the case anymore but gpus are problematic

ah well hey if AMD fixes the gpu issues and makes them a bit better, Nvidia could be having some problems

i have 5800x and 6800xt and well as long you dont do automatic driver update and  also install only the recomended and not the optional... no issues to report. 

also since adrenalin i preffer radeon over nvidia but that is a personal choice

Also to consider the place AMD is now compared to before, but both AMD and Nvidia can have their issues and with new tech.

Sometimes it might be more noticed with AMD and the GPU to BIOS issues to keep up with their generations. Some major, some minor problems.

I've not seen any 'driver' issues with AMD CPUs. Other issues with compatibility, sure.

AMD GPUs have had, in the past, significant driver issues. Enough that I'd still avoid them for a couple of years, and let the driver team mature a little.

On 8/26/2021 at 7:15 AM, Kid.Lazer said:

This entire thread after only 2 posts is full of misinformation. AMD's GPU drivers are as good as Nvidia's (with a much better interface, I might add). And their CPUs have been great for years now. FULL SYSTEM stability is a whole different matter, typically coming down to poor motherboard hardware/software implementations - a problem that affects both CPU vendors.

They're no where near as good as Nvidias, saying that is pretty misleading. See: 5700 driver issues.

When was the last time people were returning Nvdia cards en masse?

On 8/26/2021 at 8:36 AM, Chris Pratt said:

I've had a 3700X and a 5900X, as well as a 5600 XT GPU. Not one issue from any of them. I've also taken care to pair them with other good components, like RAM, mobos, and PSUs, though.

I think the largest majority of the issues people complain about are either form the first gen Ryzen days, when there was serious problems (new architecture is always that way, though) or from pairing it with cheap ass mobos and PSUs. Before this gen, Ryzen was the budget option, and far too many people built extremely low budget systems with AMD CPUs. That's not necessarily a problem in an of itself. If you can get what you need for cheap, great. But, when you connect an AMD chip to a $25 no name PSU and have issues, you can't blame that on AMD.

Eh I don't think that's entirely accurate. You could just as easily do the same thing with Intel systems; they don't disallow you from using cheap parts.

Early Ryzen was the worst in terms of memory compatibility; so bad, even after 2 generations and 2 attempts to use them, I gave up and stuck with Intel.

I still have high hopes for the future, but it won't be until the second gen on AM5 that I (possibly) give them another shot.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Am really happy with my AMD Ryzen 3950X and have been driving AMD GPUs for several years now. I've had a couple f the blackscreen issues when I got my 5700XT 1 1/2 years ago but after a couple of driver updates that's now working fine. Rarely have any issues that I could possibly connect to the GPU unless I work in Blender. Then it really sucks and has several issues. (Which is the one reason why after years I am now trying to get an nVidia card, but of course in the current market that's not an easy thing to accomplish)

If you just want to game AMD is a perfectly valid choice for a GPU (unless you want ray-tracing) and their CPUs are really great no matter what you want to do with your PC.

On 8/27/2021 at 3:02 PM, Wictorian said:

Also since your title is Syntax Error location might be line 32

Actually, brilliant lol. Cheers 😂

FX-6300... you can't crash if you're slow as old ballz and ain't going anywhere /s 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 8/26/2021 at 10:44 AM, GDRRiley said:

I've had better luck with AMDs APUs on mobile on linux and once I switched it was rock solid (for 3000 APUs they gave drivers to OEMs which means HP takes way to long and windows updates constantly broke it)

my RX580 has been great for the last 3-4 years on windows, its probably due for a full clean and new thermal pads

2700x in the same build thats 2 years old now runs great, 0 issues from that

2400G runs great in windows 10 with my parents desktop, that thing never gets turned off 0 issues

HD5750 and Fury have ran great a few years back when I last used them 0 issues there.

You can't generalize a brand like that.

A bit of a ditto here, but then again every single system I've built after my first one has been very stable except when I have made it unstable. It's about picking the right parts and then if you're going to run outside the normal parameters it's about testing thoroughly for stability. Every now and then my 2700X system would lock on wake or freeze up when transitioning between high and low power states, that was 100% on me setting a high boost scalar and running a low undervolt with low LLC. Sometimes my volts just went too low and it locked up. 100% on me and my tinkering.

On 8/26/2021 at 7:15 AM, Kid.Lazer said:

AMD's GPU drivers are as good as Nvidia's (with a much better interface, I might add).

cap

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

My main system has a Ryzen CPU and a Radeon GPU, and it runs 24/7/365 without issue. The only crashes I've ever experienced were caused by memory settings. The GPU and CPU have been rock solid. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I can't believe the amount of haha reacts this comment has when it's literally the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

while its not about the truth, but the experience people might have. like with any service, also something most reviewers said too, there was some growing pains for AMD.

From my personal experience of owning several AMD and Intels, I never notice any being crash prone compare to each other.  Same for the GPUs, the few time I get crashes out of those is me mucking around with overclocking the poor things. 

Only time anything would crash for me is when I am messing a bit with tweaks or get in one of my rare "I shall stress test 24/7 Prime Grid though dis piece of unfortunate hardware for a week or two".

If asking about the newer chips, so far the 5800X I have is fine.  A few odd issues on the build, but that came about from old displayport firmware on my GPU just requiring updating. 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 8/29/2021 at 12:34 PM, dizmo said:

They're no where near as good as Nvidias, saying that is pretty misleading. See: 5700 driver issues.

We're talking about drivers today, not 2 years ago. If we are allowed to go back as far as we want for generalizations, NVIDIA probably had some garbage drivers at some point too. And to be clear, we're talking about purely stability, not feature parity.

On 8/29/2021 at 12:34 PM, dizmo said:

When was the last time people were returning Nvdia cards en masse?

2080's with space invaders. Must've slipped your mind.

And for those that question my take, here is Hardware Unboxed.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

On 8/29/2021 at 11:34 AM, dizmo said:

Eh I don't think that's entirely accurate.

I think you missed my point. Sure, you can build budget systems with Intel, and I've seen people having issues with Intel systems that are likely due to the same thing. My point was that AMD up until recently was the primary go to here. If you were to make a scatter plot of AMD and Intel budget systems, particular those paired with cheap parts, there'd likely be an even distribution of failures for both, but an uneven distribution of the platform itself. As such, AMD would have the higher failure rate, but only due to the higher distribution.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. That's what I'm saying.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

31 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

I think you missed my point. Sure, you can build budget systems with Intel, and I've seen people having issues with Intel systems that are likely due to the same thing. My point was that AMD up until recently was the primary go to here. If you were to make a scatter plot of AMD and Intel budget systems, particular those paired with cheap parts, there'd likely be an even distribution of failures for both, but an uneven distribution of the platform itself. As such, AMD would have the higher failure rate, but only due to the higher distribution.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. That's what I'm saying.

But higher distrubution doesn't effect the rate.