Please tell me which model is better

Feconi

Good afternoon!

Task: storing Premiere projects and video, since this is my job, fault tolerance should be enterprise class.

At the moment, I'm choosing between these models (they are the same price in my country).

Please tell me which one is better:

1) Seagate Exos 7E10 ST4000NM000B

2) WD Ultrastar DC HC310 HUS726T4TALE6L4

(I also see the Seagate Ironwolf ST4000VN006 and WD Red Plus WD40EFPX available, but they are not cheaper)

Just now, Feconi said:

fault tolerance should be enterprise class.

then use more than one drive. if it's for a job and redundancy is important then never use one single drive.

3 minutes ago, Feconi said:

Good afternoon!

Task: storing Premiere projects and video, since this is my job, fault tolerance should be enterprise class.

At the moment, I'm choosing between these models (they are the same price in my country).

Please tell me which one is better:

1) Seagate Exos 7E10 ST4000NM000B

2) WD Ultrastar DC HC310 HUS726T4TALE6L4

(I also see the Seagate Ironwolf ST4000VN006 and WD Red Plus WD40EFPX available, but they are not cheaper)

They all seem fine, but either way you're buying two if the work is extremely important and its only storage location. That involves a RAID1.

If the cheaper options of 'NAS' or 'red' drives affords you to buy 2 to run RAID1, then its always better than buying one drive an excepting it to just never fail. 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

4 minutes ago, Agall said:

They all seem fine, but either way you're buying two if the work is extremely important and its only storage location. That involves a RAID1.

If the cheaper options of 'NAS' or 'red' drives affords you to buy 2 to run RAID1, then its always better than buying one drive an excepting it to just never fail. 

Then is there any difference between these models in working in RAID in this configuration?

Motherboard: MSI Z690 ACE

CPU: i9-12900k

I think I can try to activate RAID 5 in the motherboard bios if I decide to buy 3 disks.

15 minutes ago, Feconi said:

Then is there any difference between these models in working in RAID in this configuration?

Nope.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

29 minutes ago, Feconi said:

I think I can try to activate RAID 5 in the motherboard bios if I decide to buy 3 disks.

RAID is managed by another controller, the drives usually just have to use the same interface, in this case, all SATA. Ideally you also use the same capacity. Chipset based RAID being plenty for a simple RAID1.

RAID5 is good too, but unless you need the extra space, a RAID1 is a solid way to have completely redundant drives. RAID5 starts to get complicated and I'd only recommend it for larger and higher capacity arrays. At that point, you're also considering RAID6. There's really only a small window of total drives and capacity needed where RAID5 is the better option.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

34 minutes ago, Feconi said:

I'd generally avoid using raid on the motherboard, as its often not great. There is probably better options for raid in your OS.

But why do a raid of these small drives? I'd guess your much better off buying a single large HDD and backing it up so you don't lose data.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I'd generally avoid using raid on the motherboard, as its often not great. There is probably better options for raid in your OS.

But why do a raid of these small drives? I'd guess your much better off buying a single large HDD and backing it up so you don't lose data.

Why can a motherboard RAID be bad? It seems to me that various applications inside the operating system have a greater chance of failing due to various bugs, drivers, and so on

2 minutes ago, Feconi said:

Why can a motherboard RAID be bad? It seems to me that various applications inside the operating system have a greater chance of failing due to various bugs, drivers, and so on

Intel raid on the board generally isn't the greatest, and still uses the CPU for processing the data. You can also move the array to any system if its done within windows instead of being tied to boards with a similar chipset. 

But why do a 3 4TB drive RAID 5. Get a single 8TB drive its gonna be cheaper here.