Peoples reluctance to pay for services they use 90% of the time and instead suffer through ads. I don’t get it

Srius1

I know quite a few people who ONLY watch YouTube as their entertainment on their  tvs. Just YouTube, that’s it. They had recently bought a $800k house and had spent a ton of $ on thier oled tv, speakers, etc. yet when they watched YouTube, they’d suffer through the ads before every video. I mentioned I have YouTube premium and for $4/month ($18/5 accounts), they would basically have no ads on thier tv, thier phones/tablets etc. I’ve tried multiple times to get them to sub as $ is really no issue for them. The response is, “eh I don’t really care and I can just skip the ad “.

same with their music. While at the house and having music on, every song, another ad from Pandora or YouTube. It’s extremely distracting and whenever I say anything , it’s “o you notice the ads, I don’t”.

I don’t get it lol.

people will spend insane amounts of $ on things then just deal with ads . Do you know poeple like this? Thoughts?

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

Devil's advocate: perhaps they have money for big purchases because they have built a disciplined lifestyle of minimizing lots of little recurring charges that build up into large sums going out every month.

I think this also to some extent may be a generational thing. People who grew up in an era where there was only TV and radio came to expect/accept commercials as a fact of life, and it doesn't bother them as much. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

i think it’s just ignorance to be honest. They just accept it and refuse to see a better way or differnt way (as you just said. 

As I said, $ is no object and a $20/month bill wouldn’t effect them in the least. Our night outs are usually $200 in just drinks! 

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

I didn't say it was a "better" way. Who are you to say it is, either? It might be a fee they can easily afford but if the ads simply don't bother them it's still money they'd be paying for no purpose. There is no right or wrong opinion on how much one should be bothered by ads. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

23 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I'd rather have the ads. I don't really get to see them because I'm using an adblocker but let's just say I'd rather have that instead of paying for the service.

Here's a wall of text about it:

Hide contents

Imagine I want to get youtube premium because I don't want the ads anymore, pretty simple huh? you just pay for it and that's it. well, nope. Unfortunately it doesn't works like that when your whole country is like the alien ghetto from District 9, just having a CC implies paying taxes, and this the part where it gets ridiculous: any and all digital goods (like YT premium, steam, whatever) are subject to an entire collection of taxes that end up adding 106.66% to the final price, if it costs $10,00 I pay about $25 (not 20,66 which is 10+106.66% on top of it because there's a particular way to stack up the taxes)

This only if you manage to pass through all of the state regulations and controls and get to "legally" own a card that can make payments in USD, Euro or chinese currency (owning bills is illegal). I'm not part of that elite of about 8000 individuals, but there's a black market for people like me though. Had to smuggle my PC parts and "gift" a border patrol officer a phone (device I had to buy for that particular purpose, they let me pass if I share something with them lol) because electronics are luxury items and the available stock isn't great, to give you an idea Socket T mobos and CPUs are still common.

This might be kinda hard to understand for anyone living in any normal country but that's how it is for me. Cheers, comrade...

Anyway. As you can imagine my internet connection isn't great so I rather download songs and play them on WMP than waiting forever for anything online to buffer, my computer is the only device connected to the net (I'm behind a proxy so no worries) so I don't get to deal with too much ads, TV is like 40 years old and only catches state TV and other 5 channels with news and sports so I don't even watch it. Phones and tablets aren't my thing.

Hope the blue vans don't visit me tonight.

where do you live lol

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Many people who end up being financially successful do so simply because they have learnt to discipline themselves into not spending money on things that aren't necessary.  That doesn't mean that all successful people forgo luxuries or unnecessary things, it just means that they have learnt to avoid what many call a penny trap (a mindset that it's only a small amount to pay for convenience and so won't make a difference).

It certainly isn't ignorance.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Srius1 said:

The response is, “eh I don’t really care and I can just skip the ad “.

and you're saying that's wrong?

I have 2 subscription that i pay for, one for a service that i cannot get anywhere else (no free option) and one for a specific creator i admire for support, and honestly, that's all i plan on subscribing to because i'd rather not encourage more companies to go the way of the subscription model and binning the free options.

people hate ads, but i would much rather have an ad supported service than once i have to pay for.

In regards to youtube, at this point it doesn't matter if you watch the ads, block the ads or pay for youtube premium, a huge amount of creators have baked-in ad reads therefore everyone has to watch ads regardless of your choice.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Subscription fatigue. All these small amounts each month add up, it's not a bad idea to subscribe with caution. Of course, some people are just tight.

I have been using YT for many years now (i don`t watch TV) and at this moment they are just forcing more and more ads, so i wont pay the subscription as a matter of a stance.

31 minutes ago, Kadzo said:

they are just forcing more and more ads, so i wont pay the subscription as a matter of a stance.

Was going to say the same thing. At one point they were pushing the ads for Premium way too hard, every time I opened the app I would get a pop up about it. Minimize YouTube app without pausing the video? Was met with a pop up about Premium when I reopened the video. Every single time. It’s gotten a lot better but for a month or two it was ridiculous and the damage was done, the more times I saw the ads and pop ups the more I decided not to pay Google a cent for anything. 

Just use adblockers. Most if not all major internet services are swimming in money anyway.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

17 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Was going to say the same thing. At one point they were pushing the ads for Premium way too hard, every time I opened the app I would get a pop up about it. Minimize YouTube app without pausing the video? Was met with a pop up about Premium when I reopened the video. Every single time. It’s gotten a lot better but for a month or two it was ridiculous and the damage was done, the more times I saw the ads and pop ups the more I decided not to pay Google a cent for anything. 

Well they are harvesting the data anyway, so i wont pay them a dine out of principle. 

4 hours ago, Srius1 said:

people will spend insane amounts of $ on things then just deal with ads . Do you know poeple like this? Thoughts?

Yes, myself. As @Middcore said I grew up in the time of cable radio and TV so first of all I'm completely used to ads. TV had like five minutes straight of ads and was perfect for grabbing a snack. For simple radio-style listening I don't mind and even somewhat like the ads as a break. I still use Spotify free for example.

4 hours ago, Srius1 said:

i think it’s just ignorance to be honest. They just accept it and refuse to see a better way or differnt way (as you just said. 

As I said, $ is no object and a $20/month bill wouldn’t effect them in the least. Our night outs are usually $200 in just drinks! 

But who are you to tell them how to spend their money? Maybe they can afford to spend $200 on drinks exactly because they don't spend that $200 a month on a dozen subscriptions just to get rid of ads they don't mind, cable TV (substituting YouTube) etc. If they are fine with ads, they are fine with ads. Not your concern or business to convince them to spend money on something they don't care for.

Think of this the other way around: how would you feel if I told you you could save dozens of dollars a month by just accepting some ads and being smart about saving, telling you that you are just ignorant in not seeing that easy way of having more money at your disposal.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I can save $$'s per month by just turning the damn thing off.

And saying to "Accept" isn't the way - If you don't like ads then don't watch, get an ad blocker that actually works or whatever else you gotta do.

When you look around we're bombarded with ads anyway. 

Years ago TV for example used to have 3 ad breaks in an hour long show which was fine but now it's every 6-7 minutes and the strings of ads is nearly as long in time.
Billboard signs, radio breaks for ads, on TV as mentioned, Youboob throwing them up in your face with no way to skip, FB constantly tossing them in your face and you have to tell it with each and everyone to not show it.....

And I"m sure that's not even close to all of it.

We're in a culture that, like it or not advertising is just a part of the life we live. 
Believe it or not it's a necessity for a business to survive since people are fickle and do forget, get distracted and all the rest related to that - Plus people have to know you (As a business) even exist in the first place and that's how you get the word out.

Advertising - It's what I'd call a necessary evil.
As a business you don't want to do it becuase it's actually an expense just to do but if you don't then you suffer.
And if you're not part of a business you suffer too from all the crap thrown in your face on a daily basis.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

2 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I can save $$'s per month by just turning the damn thing off.

And saying to "Accept" isn't the way - If you don't like ads then don't watch, get an ad blocker that actually works or whatever else you gotta do.

When you look around we're bombarded with ads anyway. 

Years ago TV for example used to have 3 ad breaks in an hour long show which was fine but now it's every 6-7 minutes and the strings of ads is nearly as long in time.
Billboard signs, radio breaks for ads, on TV as mentioned, Youboob throwing them up in your face with no way to skip, FB constantly tossing them in your face and you have to tell it with each and everyone to not show it.....

And I"m sure that's not even close to all of it.

We're in a culture that, like it or not advertising is just a part of the life we live. 
Believe it or not it's a necessity for a business to survive since people are fickle and do forget, get distracted and all the rest related to that - Plus people have to know you (As a business) even exist in the first place and that's how you get the word out.

Advertising - It's what I'd call a necessary evil.
As a business you don't want to do it becuase it's actually an expense just to do but if you don't then you suffer.
And if you're not part of a business you suffer too from all the crap thrown in your face on a daily basis.

In my daily life with minimal effort…I get exactly 0 ads with minimal cost. 

on YouTube,I have premium. On cable tv, I use a dvr. In my car ,I use Sirius radio $5/month. If I listen to music, I use YouTube premium / youtube music and no ads. On my google home speakers, again no ads. 

so when I get an ad it’s jarring. Ads hasn’t been a part of mine (or my families)life for years now with minimal cost and we prevented hundreds of hours of wasted time listening to ads while driving or watching tv. But hey, my time is worth more I guess then pp saving a whole $4/ month lol

12 minutes ago, Srius1 said:

so when I get an ad it’s jarring. Ads hasn’t been a part of mine (or my families)life for years now with minimal cost and we prevented hundreds of hours of wasted time listening to ads while driving or watching tv.

How on Earth does an ad waste time while driving. The trip won't be any quicker whether it's an ad or a song. This is purely about using those 5-10 minutes you now save for an extra song or two instead of listening to the ad (which is totally fine). I guess TV ads can be annoying, but as I mentioned they're totally normal to me. I don't watch much TV anyway.

8 minutes ago, Srius1 said:

But hey, my time is worth more I guess then pp saving a whole $4/ month lol

And there's your answer. You care to have non-stop music when driving and YouTube ad-free anywhere everywhere and you think the time you "save" with all those ads is worth $4 a month. Others don't care and rather spend it on nice coffee, a lottery ticket or whatever else they can do with that $4 they have extra.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

7 hours ago, Srius1 said:

Right now internet media is moving towards being the very thing it tries to destroy: Television.

The reason why i went away from live TV and are now consuming all my content on YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, etc. is because i hated ads and these services offered a lot of content for a small amount of money each month and ad free. But as everyone has to release their own streaming service and exclusive content we start to see more and more of these reoccuring payments. And while they're not that expensive on their own, they can sum up to a significant monthly charge very quickly.

Just as an example with German pricing:

YouTube Premium alone is just 12€.

Then add Netflix (13€), Prime (8€), Disney Plus (7€), Spotify (10€).

All of a sudden you're at 50€ per month. And i know a lot of people who use even more services like HBO max, Audible, etc...

As for myself:

I simply don't want to support YouTubes (or Google's) greedy endeavor in any financial way. They keep adding more and more ads to each video to try and force people into buying premium. They even create their own unskippable YouTube Premium ads just to increase the amount of ads. I will happily continue to use AdBlock to keep as much money away from companies like Google as possible. If i buy into YT Premium i'd just confirm their strategy and give them even more money in the process.

And just because people have nice things like a house or a nice TV that doesn't mean they should stop caring about money. If you're slightly concerned about your financials and try to save up a bit here and there you can also afford nice things without being some manager or high paying position.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 hours ago, Srius1 said:

you know poeple like this? Thoughts?

I won’t pay for YouTube because I don’t think it’s worth what they want for it. As other streaming services are cheaper. So I suffer with ads when I’m watching on my TV, but use an ad blocker on my PC/Mac. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Right now internet media is moving towards being the very thing it tries to destroy: Television.

The reason why i went away from live TV and are now consuming all my content on YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, etc. is because i hated ads and these services offered a lot of content for a small amount of money each month and ad free. But as everyone has to release their own streaming service and exclusive content we start to see more and more of these reoccuring payments. And while they're not that expensive on their own, they can sum up to a significant monthly charge very quickly.

Just as an example with German pricing:

YouTube Premium alone is just 12€.

Then add Netflix (13€), Prime (8€), Disney Plus (7€), Spotify (10€).

All of a sudden you're at 50€ per month. And i know a lot of people who use even more services like HBO max, Audible, etc...

As for myself:

I simply don't want to support YouTubes (or Google's) greedy endeavor in any financial way. They keep adding more and more ads to each video to try and force people into buying premium. They even create their own unskippable YouTube Premium ads just to increase the amount of ads. I will happily continue to use AdBlock to keep as much money away from companies like Google as possible. If i buy into YT Premium i'd just confirm their strategy and give them even more money in the process.

And just because people have nice things like a house or a nice TV that doesn't mean they should stop caring about money. If you're slightly concerned about your financials and try to save up a bit here and there you can also afford nice things without being some manager or high paying position.

Well firstly netflix is trash. Cancel that . Also YouTube premium for 1 single account I agree is too much. What’s family pricing ? I’m sure you have a few people who can use it and help with the costs. Also youtube does give you YouTube music which while not as good as Spotify, is decent enough and using voice to play songs is awesome. Prime and Disney are worth it.

also trust me I DESPISE GOOGLE as a company for all the anti consumer stuff and liberal bullshit they push and banning of opinions they don’t agree with. But there’s no better option than YouTube so I’m stuck paying it. 

9 hours ago, Srius1 said:

they’d suffer through the ads before every video.

i think it’s just ignorance to be honest.

It’s extremely distracting and whenever I say anything , it’s “o you notice the ads, I don’t”.

The response is, “eh I don’t really care and I can just skip the ad

Found the guy who really hates ads more than the people watching the ads, and then gets really weird and in their face about it, going so far as to post about it on the internet to complain about them and call them 'ignorant.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

22 minutes ago, Srius1 said:

Well firstly netflix is trash. Cancel that . Also YouTube premium for 1 single account I agree is too much. What’s family pricing ? I’m sure you have a few people who can use it and help with the costs. Also youtube does give you YouTube music which while not as good as Spotify, is decent enough and using voice to play songs is awesome. Prime and Disney are worth it.

also trust me I DESPISE GOOGLE as a company for all the anti consumer stuff and liberal bullshit they push and banning of opinions they don’t agree with. But there’s no better option than YouTube so I’m stuck paying it. 

There is a whole different aspect to the whole comparison between paying for netflix or for YT. WIth netflix you have to pay to even get access to the content. With YT you only pay to get rid of ads, which can also be achieved with installing AdBlock Plus, which only takes 10 seconds.

To be clear, i'm not against paying for enternainment. I'm a lifetime premium member of nexusmods.com. If i enjoy what the site offers and i like the people behind it i am happy to support. But with YT Premium the support is just going to the wrong people. That's the main problem imo. Yes, YouTubers say a premium viewer is worth much more than several people watching ads. But there is no transparency how much of the money is given to the channels you watch and actually want to support.

Basically with AdBlock i get the best of both worlds: Ads removed without paying Google a dime. I just have to stand them when on my TV. But it doesn't bother me much there because i sleep 90% of the time YouTube is running on my TV 😄

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 hours ago, Srius1 said:

I know quite a few people who ONLY watch YouTube as their entertainment on their  tvs. Just YouTube, that’s it. They had recently bought a $800k house and had spent a ton of $ on thier oled tv, speakers, etc. yet when they watched YouTube, they’d suffer through the ads before every video. I mentioned I have YouTube premium and for $4/month ($18/5 accounts), they would basically have no ads on thier tv, thier phones/tablets etc. I’ve tried multiple times to get them to sub as $ is really no issue for them. The response is, “eh I don’t really care and I can just skip the ad “.

same with their music. While at the house and having music on, every song, another ad from Pandora or YouTube. It’s extremely distracting and whenever I say anything , it’s “o you notice the ads, I don’t”.

I don’t get it lol.

Like others have said, it’s a question of value-is the money I’d pay in a subscription equivalent to the enjoyment I’d receive? For me and for many the answer is no

and like others have said, if the ads truly bothered me, I could get the effect of YouTube premium for no cost

if I jailbreak my iPhone for instance I could get YouTube premium for free, Adblocking software on my computer, using a pihole with my network

eliminating ads doesn’t necessarily cost money, it can cost effort instead and just because others value their time/money in different ways doesn’t make them or you wrong

Id rather spend $1500 on a 48” monitor from gigabyte than buy a TV from LG using the same panel for less money because I fervently hate smart TVs and consider them a blight meant to serve me ads

so I understand both camps quite well

12 minutes ago, 0591ryan said:

Id rather spend $1500 on a 48” monitor from gigabyte than buy a TV from LG using the same panel for less money because I fervently hate smart TVs and consider them a blight meant to serve me ads

I do have a LG C9 TV and i've never seen ads in the OS itself. You can use a TV just like a monitor if you want to in terms of UI. If you turn it on it will go to the last source first, not to the Smart OS. The ads are served in apps (altough the only app i use on my TV with ads is YT), but in my experience with my LG TV not in the Smart OS itself.

35 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I do have a LG C9 TV and i've never seen ads in the OS itself. You can use a TV just like a monitor if you want to in terms of UI. If you turn it on it will go to the last source first, not to the Smart OS. The ads are served in apps (altough the only app i use on my TV with ads is YT), but in my experience with my LG TV not in the Smart OS itself.

I’m still uninterested in having software running on my machine that I don’t want and I consider the entire OS to be in that category

Any device I hook up to the TV/monitor will have far more smarts than the TV and will do a better job than the TV

i need my TV do a few things-turn on, display inputs, adjust settings and not break

LG may not be the worst offender in placing ads in their Smart OS but they certainly retain the option with a firmware “update”