Amazon's mmo New World is bricking 3090 gpus

spartaman64
1 minute ago, Yoinkerman said:

Ah the classic menu screen 9999 fps problem.  You'd think devs would know that, it's like the oldest trick in the book

StarCraft II: 2 - The Reckoning

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

"Sorry we broke your graphics card, maybe you could just buy another....from Amazon. Sign up for prime and we'll even ship it to you for free"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Is anyone not surprised at all, that their response to this is that there's basically no "issue" as far as they are concerned, yet they still implement a patch to "fix" it ... ?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

This has expanded now as people are now reporting similar issues happening on AMD 6900XTs in New World according to JayzTwoCents.

Here is also a statement from the New World Community Manager: Spoiler only because of how large the image is. 

Spoiler

E62_EyGUcAEdwbT?format=jpg&name=large

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

21 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

What??? I think this is the only reaction i can come up with to such an insane/silly/stupid/WTF story.

7YMlIG3.jpeg 

Milk a cow get banned.....And Nvidia milks/bricks your 3090 playing that MMORPG

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

10 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

I've seen speculation that it might be the memory chips which do tend to run very hot and with this extra load maybe they are frying themselves. But whatever the reason I'm going to avoid new world until this has been addressed since I don't want it to try my 3080 which is hard to replace at the moment. 

This is old news as far as "new game, kills poorly made video cards", I've seen people complain about video card failures for all sorts of games or games updates, and with the exception of "pc suddenly turns off/reboots" (which is generally the PSU), it always ends up being factory OC video cards and/or under-designed cooling.

What's interesting here is that it's high end 3090 cards, so I'd almost be willing to bet these are all air-cooled models with the the weaker configuration of POSCAP's.

https://forums.evga.com/Message-about-EVGA-GeForce-RTX-3080-POSCAPs-m3095238.aspx

Recently there has been some discussion about the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 series.

During our mass production QC testing we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the POSCAPs to 4 and add 20 MLCC caps prior to shipping production boards, this is why the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 series was delayed at launch. There were no 6 POSCAP production EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 boards shipped.

But, due to the time crunch, some of the reviewers were sent a pre-production version with 6 POSCAP’s, we are working with those reviewers directly to replace their boards with production versions.
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 series with 5 POSCAPs + 10 MLCC solution is matched with the XC3 spec without issues.

So who knows the exact reason here, but if it's isolated to just EVGA cards, then I'm pretty sure this plays into it.

12 minutes ago, Kisai said:

So who knows the exact reason here, but if it's isolated to just EVGA cards, then I'm pretty sure this plays into it.

It's not, people are now reporting similar end results on other brands 3090s and also AMD cards.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

59 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

This has expanded now as people are now reporting similar issues happening on AMD 6900XTs in New World according to JayzTwoCents.

And AMD's stuff isn't anywhere near s power hungry AFAIK?

This sounds increasingly like something software side is interacting with somthing else about the card in a completely unanticipated way. And whatever it is it must be pretty fundamental to basic graphics card design for it to cross brands. Are there any power delivery components that are shared? Or do what?

3 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Ah the classic menu screen 9999 fps problem.  You'd think devs would know that, it's like the oldest trick in the book

Trick to brick gpus or what?

why would the devs care they arent responsible for faulty videocards

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, CarlBar said:

This sounds increasingly like something software side is interacting with somthing else about the card in a completely unanticipated way. And whatever it is it must be pretty fundamental to basic graphics card design for it to cross brands. Are there any power delivery components that are shared? Or do what?

"Similar" is not "the same"

For all we know what is affecting EVGA's cards that "went pop" is not the same as the ones causing the black screen, and not the same as what is happening with the AMD cards.

People will be way too quick to go "oh that's happened to me too" when it's not the same thing. Chances are almost certainly it's only happening to people who have VSYNC off to begin with (which is a typical thing MMO game players do to lower input latency), since that will guarantee the GPU runs at 100% all the time.

Typical scenarios of "my computer stops working with this game, only this game, it's poorly optimized, etc", is basically isolated to OC cards, and manufacturers who cheap out on parts and cheat benchmarks like MSI.

7 hours ago, Kisai said:

For all we know what is affecting EVGA's cards that "went pop" is not the same as

well what happens to the FTW cards seems to be indeed the same as what happens to other nvidia cards…

The reddit  thread is kind of an eye opener in that regard… menus, unlocked framerates in certain games the card just goes boom within seconds, so most likely over voltage.

i dont know if the same thing is affecting amd cards, but would make sense if its something similar.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

well what happens to the FTW cards seems to be indeed the same as what happens to other nvidia cards…

The reddit  thread is kind of an eye opener in that regard… menus, unlocked framerates in certain games the card just goes boom within seconds, so most likely over voltage.

i dont know if the same thing is affecting amd cards, bu would make sense if its something similar.

Again, the "my card died" is not the same as "black screen"

https://forums.newworld.com/t/known-issue-nvidia-rtx-3090-series-100-gpu-usage/126068

Thank you all for sharing your reports about this problem, we believe this is related with driver settings and frame rate limiters.

1. Disable the overrides in the driver settings,
  2. Make sure to press “APPLY”
  3. Restart the game client.

Also you can cap your FPS.

This will help prevent issues with the GPU’s utilization.

Go to Settings > Visuals > Max fps > Set this to 60, this should help to bring the utilization back down.

This is literately telling the players to limit the frame rate to 60.

When you have a high end GPU, if vsync is on, and the GPU is capable of hitting the frame rate of a high framerate monitor (eg 144hz) then it will of couse put high load on the GPU, but it will be capped at the monitor rate. However if you turn vsync off, and don't limit it, then it will run the GPU at the maximum.

Which means if the GPU's are failing, that is a hardware problem, or at the very least it's a problem beyond the game. It's not the game. The game can never be blamed for "killing hardware" because the user has to have done something to deviate from the baseline (Which is always 60fps.) Having the menu run at 1000fps, is because the game isn't capped.

But to kill the hardware? It has to have been OC'd, or the manufacturer screwed up big time. I would be surprised if nvidia came out with yet another "fix" that lowers the clock speed when playing this game.

update, people are reporting other 3090s and 6800, 6900, 1080ti also bricking, the 3090 ftw3 is the most consistent, not just in the menus, recalls, transitional screens in general, the "menu patch" will only save some gpus.Starting to look like a new world issue, and of course evga too.

Edit: the older revisions of FTW3 were drawing 100w from the pcie slot, those +new world seems to be certain death, there are still evidence of crappy power delivery on the ftw3 even with the new revision, but a couple of very bold redditors with the newer revision ftw3 are reporting no problems in new world 😅

Edit 2: the 3rd 8-pin plug on the ftw3, regardless of revision, is also sus.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

7 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

This.  There's zero benefit to letting FPS run unlimited...if anything it's a detriment maxing out your CPU processing frames that don't matter, taking away resources for other tasks.  I set mine to 143 FPS so gsync is always active as well.

Also stops annoying whine

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

3 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Or it could be that a smaller proportion of AMD cards that also have bad electrical work frying themselves. 

Pascal laptops guide

9 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Or it could be that a smaller proportion of AMD cards that also have bad electrical work frying themselves. 

Again why is this only showing up now. Most of these cards have been out for a long time. If some specific "normal" occurrence was going to fry them, it would have done so allready. It's not like letting the GPU run wild for mega framerates is unique to this game in the slightest. If that was enough to blow the cards in question to kingdom come they'd have gone a long time ago.

17 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Again why is this only showing up now. Most of these cards have been out for a long time. If some specific "normal" occurrence was going to fry them, it would have done so allready. It's not like letting the GPU run wild for mega framerates is unique to this game in the slightest. If that was enough to blow the cards in question to kingdom come they'd have gone a long time ago.

according to jay those other scenarios don't actually draw over the power limit, new world launcher/menu does, and it seems like the ftw3 has very uneven power delivery between the pci-e slot and the 3rd 8-pin power connector too, it's suspected that the pop is from the choke/vrm associated with the 3rd plug, of course this doesn't mean other brands/models are immune.

Can't wait til Jay and Steve put out a video on these.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 hour ago, CarlBar said:

My guess would be there is always a non zero number of cards that would do that under severe stress, just that the combination of this game putting massive stress and EVGA 3090s made people’s reports that more common and perceptible. 

Pascal laptops guide

Unless this game is doing something extremely weird I blame this on the card manufacturers. It shouldn't be possible for a card to spontaneously combust, no matter how much you tax it via DX calls.

13 hours ago, Middcore said:

And why would it only be 3090's and not lesser cards? And why were there no dead cards during the alpha a few months ago?

Possibly because 3090s are extremely high TDP chips and manufacturers may have cut corners with the cooling (or have overclocked the cards too far out of the box). Might also be that the users are not being entirely forthcoming about overclocking their cards.

As for it not happening during alpha, the wider outreach of the proper launch could explain the difference.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This brings back memories of how my GTX 770 I was still using died out of the bloom after driver update.

I've been running a frame rate limiter ever since I launched The Sims 2 years ago and the game ran at 4,000+ fps on the splash screens and menus.

My graphics card emitted such a horrendous screeching I thought it was going to blow. That was the day I learned what coil whine was.

uhm.. would this hurt my 1070 ti? it's much lower level than 3090.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

1 minute ago, Video Beagle said:

uhm.. would this hurt my 1070 ti? it's much lower level than 3090.

Probably an extremely low non-zero chance. Imo it's worth waiting a bit until this is investigated further.