Amazon's mmo New World is bricking 3090 gpus

spartaman64

GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX (AM4 AMD/B550/Mini-Itx/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 1/WiFi 6/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe4.0/Realtek ALC1220-Vb/DisplayPort 1.4/2xHDMI 2.0B/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) ,AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked 4.7 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

No they are not "exploding", it affects more than just Nvidia GPUs according to various reports and we got a tech news thread about this already

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

You're about a week late, with a random YouTube video no one is going to watch and none of your own thoughts. What was the point of this? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

On 7/21/2021 at 3:13 PM, Yoinkerman said:

Ah the classic menu screen 9999 fps problem.  You'd think devs would know that, it's like the oldest trick in the book

I've got 9999 fps problems

but a New World ain't one of em.

Pass on that game anyway

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

And yet again showing that RTX 3000 series have several serious flaws in their designs, power delivery of AiB's, VRAM temperatures, and also drivers that allow such things. If they know card can implode because of too high framerate, that should be soft limited to I don't know 750fps in drivers. No one needs such framerate for gameplay, but it would be limited to prevent implosion.

1 hour ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

Now they are not, because the Game has probably been patched.

So the EVGA 3090 FTW card is literately experiencing a different problem from the rest. Given he said it's an early model, which might mean an early VBIOS as well. Wouldn't that be funny if the card he had was "tweaked" to give better scores on benchmarks as a review card. hitting 110% power while the GPU clock is at 52%.

Also brings up MLCC vs POSCAP's. The model he has very clearly has the same configuration as a FE model (4 POSCAP's), not the 6- POSCAP models the reviewers had before.

Eventually he got it up to 530w and didn't blow up the card.

At any rate, my suspicion, again is that those who "killed their card" probably had VSYNC off and/or a high-refresh monitor that is actually able to max out the GPU and somehow tripped defects in those cards. The FTW card itself appears to be exceeding the power by a rather large margin if it's allowed to, so that might be specific to the FTW card that allowed those cards to fail. 

I also suspect that EVGA will probably just repair cards if all it did was blow a cap on the card and then use those as warranty exchange inventory.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

And yet again showing that RTX 3000 series have several serious flaws in their designs, power delivery of AiB's, VRAM temperatures, and also drivers that allow such things. If they know card can implode because of too high framerate, that should be soft limited to I don't know 750fps in drivers. No one needs such framerate for gameplay, but it would be limited to prevent implosion.

They probably don't framelimit in the driver because of VR HMD's, (which could drive 240fps per eye)

20 minutes ago, Kisai said:

They probably don't framelimit in the driver because of VR HMD's, (which could drive 240fps per eye)

Still, something like 750fps as hard limit in driver is very much reasonable. Nothing requires such high framerate yet it would prevent this assuming it's actually the source of problem. Unless you have 4 eyes and you need more fps in VR 😛

21 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Everything looks like a voltage issue that insta fries cards, not enough  time to heat up the vram that much.

so the issue is most likely some voltage regulator, maybe in combination with not ideal drivers…

more nerfs through drivers incoming if so… 

Strange that the Nvidia drivers and a few layers of software would allow such a thing to happen. If this happens with somewhat finished product being a game you would think this would be common in development of these assets and testing. Strange its happening now lol. 

20 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This one disturbs me a lot.  If GPUs are over heatable despite throttle systems then CPUs could be too.  The argument for old school style stress tests and low temperatures is bolstered.  I’m pretty sure my equipment is immune to this because by modern standards it is overcooled.  The stuff can’t run so fast it melts itself.  

ASUS' first gen X99 boards beg to differ. Would randomly feed 2v or more into the CPU, were never fixed either (thus why you should avoid them even second hand). Even some pretty beefy water setups that was a death sentence for many 5960Xs in X99 Rampage Vs. I actually had a 5960X for a while that came out of a Rampage V, perfect visual condition but an absolute brick. Nice paperweight I guess. 

Stands to reason if modern boards derped similarly, they'd kill a CPU no matter the cooling solution. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 7/22/2021 at 3:18 PM, Kisai said:

No, it's pretty clearly the lack of frame-rate limiting. You know how people test synthetic benchmarks and never seem to catastrophically cause the video cards to fail, even if OC'd? The question is why the cards own thermal/power throttling isn't kicking in before this failure happens.

Just like why people shouldn't pick up pre-owned GPU's. You don't know how it's been abused, and this is one of those reasons which puts a cloud over the ability to resell them, since someone might sell a "defective" card that self-destructs and not even have the warranty.

If it was a frame-rate limiting issue, guess what...other games would have fried cards as well.  My hypothesis was that they were running an API call in the menu that isn't common/ever used for things such as menus...thus getting high fps and an API call that might add that extra tax on top of it all.

To blame it on a lack of frame-rate limiting though is not correct, as clearly other games can do it without blowing up the GPU.  It's like blaming a car crashes on high-speeds, when in reality what started the issue was a blown tire (and the high-speeds were just what made things worse)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

23 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

If it was a frame-rate limiting issue, guess what...other games would have fried cards as well.  My hypothesis was that they were running an API call in the menu that isn't common/ever used for things such as menus...thus getting high fps and an API call that might add that extra tax on top of it all.

To blame it on a lack of frame-rate limiting though is not correct, as clearly other games can do it without blowing up the GPU.  It's like blaming a car crashes on high-speeds, when in reality what started the issue was a blown tire (and the high-speeds were just what made things worse)

I expect the actual cause will be looked into.  It’s the kind of thing that is discoverable and all this supposition can be put to rest. That it effects only one maker and one model implies a problem with the maker of that model. That’s only implication though.  I think it likely Someone is going to crawl through things with a fine tooth comb, pull out the wriggling thing, and present it for all to see, and then we will know.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

If it was a frame-rate limiting issue, guess what...other games would have fried cards as well.

I had 2 cards that will coil-whine when FPS reached over 1000. Maybe VRM is more stress when your FPS is over thousands?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Is there a relation of frame rate a card will produce to what the monitor it's attached to will display? (I don't even know if this is a question that makes sense).  My monitor is 75hz. Will my card (1070ti) produce higher fps than 75?  (I assume 75 fps is the highest I can see).

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

6 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Is there a relation of frame rate a card will produce to what the monitor it's attached to will display? (I don't even know if this is a question that makes sense).  My monitor is 75hz. Will my card (1070ti) produce higher fps than 75?  (I assume 75 fps is the highest I can see).

Yes, the framerate when playing games can be higher than your monitors refresh rate. However, if you enable Vsync then your framerate will be limited to your monitors refresh rate, in your case 75FPS. Vsync will lock the systems max framerate to the refresh rate of your monitor.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Vsync will lock the systems max framerate to the refresh rate of your monitor.

Is that a good thing to do?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

6 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

I think you misunderstood something here.

There are three ways to control the GPU processing power:

- VSYNC - Which limits the frame rate to in-step with the monitor refresh. GSYNC permits this to work at the monitor refresh rate and below. If you turn Vsync off, then you are expressly telling the game to min-max the GPU redraw rate.

- Frame Limiting, which sets a hard ceiling, not a floor. It's not the same as Vsync. If the game's internal physics or communications probably operates at 15fps since it's a MMORPG, but I don't have the game, and and not interested in it. If the game permits you to set a ceiling, that's to keep the GPU from operating at the monitor refresh rate, as many games simply do not work, especially those built on Unity, and those built on the Creation engine used by Fallout4/Skyrim/etc, as their physics and collision systems don't work correctly.

- Frame Skipping, which sets a floor. "This game must be responsive and must achieve minimally 30fps, adjust these knobs if not achieved"

There is no secret "set GPU on fire" API.

I'm sure other games have fried cards, but they just chalked it up to a bad card. In Alpha and Beta tests of games you have the ears of the developer, where in most retail games, especially single player ones, you do not.

image.png.fb63d993777209b8351bb315ec3b7b75.png

Like I said, this stuff happens, and it's just rarely reported on, and always hardware when it is.

Even on this forum

Guess which manufacturer's GPU's catch fire? EVGA and MSI.

Like it did not surprise me, at all, that the EVGA card's were actually dying. I'm pretty sure you will find that anyone who actually had a card fail, likely had the exact same EVGA card, and everyone else who just had "black screen" problems likely had a factory OC model of any manufacturer.

Because that's the trend. Every time a new game comes out that people start complaining about (the last one was Cyberpunk) how the game is unoptimized or some other reason to deflect the fact they they either OC'd their GPU or bought a factory OC'd model and it failed because the new game uses the GPU at a higher level than the games that were released the year they bought their GPU.

Many games you play today, are DX11 games. Not DX12, not Vulkan. "Amazon Lumberyard" is a fork of Cryengine. What's Cryengine known for doing? Breaking on AMD cards

At any rate, no I don't believe the game engine is doing anything special to kill GPU's, and if you want to test it yourself, you can download Lumberyard and build a demo game and try it yourself.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/releasenotes/lumberyard-v1.28-known-issues.html

The current version is from May of this year.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:22 AM, That Franc said:

There's a fresh update from Jay:

This was a lie, apart from that tweet you can't find any broken cards besides the evga ftw3. I guess it was just intended to divert attentions.

3 minutes ago, joaopt said:

This was a lie, apart from that tweet you can't find any broken cards besides the evga ftw3. I guess it was just intended to divert attentions.

This is completely false.

There are plenty of reports of OTHER cards breaking, even on New Worlds own forums ;

https://forums.newworld.com/t/issues-with-evga-rtx-3090-ftw3-ultra/112757/8

https://forums.newworld.com/t/known-issue-nvidia-rtx-3090-series-100-gpu-usage/126068

Please make sure you're aware of the issue before throwing blanket statements like this.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

This is completely false.

There are plenty of reports of OTHER cards breaking, even on New Worlds own forums ;

https://forums.newworld.com/t/issues-with-evga-rtx-3090-ftw3-ultra/112757/8

https://forums.newworld.com/t/known-issue-nvidia-rtx-3090-series-100-gpu-usage/126068

Please make sure you're aware of the issue before throwing blanket statements like this.

So the it only being evga is not true, they’re just fixing stuff anyway.  Is there a pattern to which cards then?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So the it only being evga is not true, they’re just fixing stuff anyway.  Is there a pattern to which cards then?

Seems to be higher tier cards from both sides, in the threads I linked (there are others) there's people that have the issue with their 2080ti & 2080 super (though the cards didn't die, only got the 100% fans & black screen bug that was fixed with a hard reset).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !