Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Since a lot of people switched over to AMD-based laptops in the past year (me being one of them as of last week), there are a lot of interesting settings I had to google despite my decent knowledge of settings and technologies used on Intel and Nvdia based machines and I think people may find useful the following TechQuickies:

- Radeon Boost [with/without comparison - fps and visual difference (if any)]

- Surface format optimization 

- GPU scaling vs letting windows scale things (the good old "high-dpi screens and blurry apps issue")\

- Radeon Anti-Lag (measure the latency difference between ON and OFF state as well as fps and frametimes)

- iGPU VRAM pre-allocation (UMA Buffer Size and what to do if it's missing from the BIOS)

Ofcourse anyone could research them online, however, the point of TQ imo is to present them in an interesting manner that would either save people time or make them go online with a flaming interest and read further details - that's how I pretty much got into tech stuff...

So, please consider doing AMD optimization explanations with some tests to display them.

Thanks and take care! :)

P.S. Loving my new Lenovo Flex 5 (R5 4500u) :D

Had an i5 4210m notebook beforehand. This rips it apart.

New subscriber here - Video idea - Why Linus prefers Thunderbolt vs others (USB C, etc)

I am relatively new to LTT and have recently been bingeing your videos and have seen a lot about how Linus prefers Thunderbolt (at least at home).  I would love to see a video on why he prefers using the tech versus what is out there now.  Why not USB C or any other technology in regards to his home setup.  I tried doing a search on thunderbolt on LTTyoutube and couldn't find anything about it. Is thunderbolt still relevant and why does he like it so much?

A lot of hubs these days just use USB C, should i be looking for something else?  I'm assuming that USB C is good enough for most consumer applications but is that true or is there a value proposition to thunderbolt that i am missing?  Is there anything else out there that is competitive?   I think there is definitely enough material for an episode weighing in on the pros and cons of each tech.  I'm sure i could spend some time digging into it on other sites but it would be nice to watch an episode with Linus' weigh in on the topic...

43 minutes ago, KDad said:

how Linus prefers Thunderbolt (at least at home).

[...]

Why not USB C or any other technology in regards to his home setup

Keep in mind there are physical and electrical standards.

USB Type C is a physical standard, just like USB Type A or HDMI is for example. It's the connector. 

Then you have the electrical standards like USB 2.0, USB 3.2 Gen 1 (previously named USB 3.0), HDMI 1.4 ports, etc.

USB Type C is a physical connector, which can carry a host of different electrical standards and speeds (depending on the wires used inside).

For example, Type C can be used for USB 2.0 signals, if the manufacturer only includes 4 wires inside, but of course it can also be setup for USB 3.0.. etc.

Now USB Type C can also be used for Thunderbolt (3) signals, which is what many modern laptops nowadays use, including the Apple's MacBook devices.

The USB Type C hubs/docks you are looking at might just be Thunderbolt docks too.

The advantage to Thunderbolt are quite big.

The USB Type C connector can be equipped with different signals, the most common ones are:

- USB 2.0

- USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB 3.0)

- faster USB types (Gen 2, Gen 2x2)

- Displayport signals (so you can output to a monitor with it)

- Thunderbolt 3, which supports all the above.

This might be the main reason Linus prefers Thunderbolt, it supports a lot of features.

Of course that is the third version, I am not sure what he is running on his home machine. In the future we will get USB 4 too, which promises the features of Thunderbolt 3 too.

An episode on "Thunderbolt vs USB Type C docks" would be more of a history lesson on USB/Thunderbolt + a lot of "depending on your device", as it depends on what your laptop/desktop/phone/etc. supports.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Buying broken power supplies and tryng to fix them and seeing their most common issue. Might not be worth it for a 500w PSU, but for something like this 1200w PSU, it might be worth it just like the monitor repair video

s-l1600.jpg

You can buy something like this on eBay for cheap

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

Really cool server motherboard, found it randomly

https://www.acmemicro.com/Product/4984/Supermicro-X7QC3

It has 4 sockets, can run upto 24 cores. Support for upto 192gb of ECC DDR2 667 (ONLY 1.8ghz), and best of all, 2 pcie slots with 8 lanes. One is 16x phisically, the other is 8x phisically. 

Really cool click-bait title:

REMOVING the BOTTLENECK on DUAL RTX 3090's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 10/30/2020 at 5:27 PM, Jbar2016 said:

like doubles and triples of parts and make pc's for people that are in a hard place since 2020 hit.

As far as I can tell, they dont do charity. It would be cool for them to do that, would defeat the purpose unless their jobs entail working from home otherwise the "winners" would just play games all the time. LOL

Hey,

I wanted to ask to make a video comparing the gaming performance of an Ice Lake laptop with a Tiger Lake one to show what differences there are in having thunderbolt now integrated into the chip.

Best

Parallel wiring power supplies in order to get single more powerful one

16 hours ago, RTX 3090 said:

Buying broken power supplies and tryng to fix them and seeing their most common issue. Might not be worth it for a 500w PSU, but for something like this 1200w PSU, it might be worth it just like the monitor repair video

I think that's a little dangerous. It's a fire hazard waiting to happen. Though it'll definitely be interesting to see if it's possible.

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

I think that's a little dangerous. It's a fire hazard waiting to happen. Though it'll definitely be interesting to see if it's possible.

Maybe not to much as to fix them, but as to what part fails first and how to make them last longer and choose a good one. I'm thinking the capacitors are the main failure, but would like to see what results come

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

LTT vid. Comparing $200 laptops to like $10000 laptops and inbetween to show people what the different prices get you and what different people need

Super unbalanced PC investigation, start with a 780ti / 4770k PC then take the GPU out and put it in a modern PC, see what performance gains there are, then likewise, put a latest gen GPU back into that older system, and see how slow it performs

11 hours ago, TheAverageGamer said:

LTT vid. Comparing $200 laptops to like $10000 laptops and inbetween to show people what the different prices get you and what different people need

I'd say that'd be hard to do, the ROI wouldnt work imo.

How about a cheap laptop challenge. Buy the cheapest laptops and see what they can run.

I think it would be really fun if for a ChannelSuperFun video LMG live-streamed themselves playing Jackbox Party games and allowed viewers to join the audience.