Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

1. Following your various reviews of bundles of mice and keyboards, I'd like to see the difference between computer cases at various price points. I've only ever bought cheapest of the cheap where the side glass is actually plastic, I'm sure there's a huge difference in quality and little quality of life improvements in the more expensive cases but I've never cared to experience it and could never justify the price difference. Like strategic holes for cable management, modularity (for drives), upgradability, etc.

2. Linus to shoot a video for "5 years into the future Linus" like he did "5y into the past Linus" few months back

3. Redo of the very first publicly available video - cover the same product in the somewhat same style but with all the upgrades of quality we have today.

On 11/17/2020 at 8:37 PM, xvision1991 said:

want see Linus test this workstation!

NVIDIA DGX Station A100

Linus tech tip's next gen editor workstations??🤣😅

4x NVIDIA A100 80 GB GPUs

320 GB GPU Memory🤭

No way he could get his hands on one.They are probably 200k+

With the new RTX 3000s + RX 6000s sucking up power like mad, you guys should do a video on how big of a PSU do the typical users actually need.

Plus a secret shopper on laptops would be nice but I suspect 'creating' a problem on the system will just void the warranty. 

Just watched the video on the Quest 2.

Could you guys test the WiFi connection again? You tested on the Quest but the Quest 2 is supposed to have WiFi 6 now. This might be a Techquickie suggestion instead, not sure.

Ideally it would be nice to know what the latency of a wired connection from PC to WiFi 6 router to Quest2 would be. Also, while there are not many examples, does a 2.5, 5 or 10 gigabit wired connection to WiFi 6 router make a significant difference?

Edit: Also, the quest supports WiFi AY but are there any routers or ways to connect via that yet? If so, how are the results on that?

Edited by ChillLikeBobRoss
Forgot about 802.11AY

In regards to your hiring video,

Have you say

"And the person we hired is... Anthony!

He really just met all our qualifications so he's just going to work 2 positions here now."

Yo guys, for the next scrapyard wars, what do you think of this challenge:

most unconventional modded PC build.... like anything BUT a computer case. the goal being to build in a "case" that looks the least like a standard computer. PCs being built inside like a window AC, or inside a trash can, or like a box in the shape of a shoe, or in an old CRT tv, maximum volume of like, .75 cu meters? Whoever has the best home made case gets a multiplier to their points. 

On 4/9/2019 at 5:38 PM, Techla said:

Do a video on if the GTX 960 or the GTX 1060 is still worth it in 2019 when we have the new rtx cards

obviously they are not worth it bcs they are to old

In todays Short Circuit, Linus drove the point that he wishes the Macbook had a touch screen. 
"We're soo close to a macbook with a touchscreen, that's one of the biggest things that's made it impossible for me to dailydrive these things, I've become very accustomed to having a touchscreen on my laptop"

Video suggestion: Have Linus check out one of the few touch-bars available for mac to convert the display to touch using IR sensors and see if he can daily drive a macbook for a week using, what he claims, is the only thing stopping him from running a Mac on the daily.

https://air.bar/mac

image.thumb.png.afd387b32f5b1f96d4c58c2035c71c41.png

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

9 hours ago, Chronified said:

In todays Short Circuit, Linus drove the point that he wishes the Macbook had a touch screen. 
"We're soo close to a macbook with a touchscreen, that's one of the biggest things that's made it impossible for me to dailydrive these things, I've become very accustomed to having a touchscreen on my laptop"

Video suggestion: Have Linus check out one of the few touch-bars available for mac to convert the display to touch using IR sensors and see if he can daily drive a macbook for a week using, what he claims, is the only thing stopping him from running a Mac on the daily.

https://air.bar/ma

Umm... he said it was "one of the only things", not "the only thing"... this suggests there are other things keeping him from switching, too.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Seeing the sleeper that was built recently.... Figured I'd throw out an idea that would be intriguing... As my username suggest, it'll be a lunchbox PC to build. Stealthy and extremely mobile. I'm more than willing to ship off my setup to see what could happen to it. (Though I think you can still find them on eBay). Mine is in the process of an upgrade, so ignore the panels missing and whatnot. Butt ton of screws just to put a panel back on. Full mechanical keyboard, screen...  Definitely not up to date at all.

IMG_20201119_200824.jpg

IMG_20201119_200901.jpg

On 3/20/2019 at 11:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

RTX 3080 | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB RAM |

So sometime back I got myself a fairly standard 43" 4K TV nothing special but very low input lag. Upgraded to a 2070S but that clearly isn't enough to play every game at 4K. So what has really surprised me is how good 1440p looks on this TV. Now as I said it's an entry level Samsung so there is no fancy upscaling goin on. Plus 1080p DOES look quite horrible contrary to what I had read about 1080p on 4K. For all intents and purposes 1440p is absolutely acceptable to me which is great as I don't necessarily have to keep up with 4K requirements. 

So that got me thinking about LTT doing a blind test of non native and native resolutions. Does a 4K screen running a game at 1440p look better than a native 1080p screen of the same size? How much better does native 1440p look compared to 1440p on a 4K screen of the same size? Are TV's better at this than monitors?

A 27" screen can be found in all 3 resolutions. For TVs we can't get native 1440p obviously but 4K and 1080p of the same size can be done. Would you guys like to see a video like this?

i7 6700K @ 4.6Ghz w/ CM Hyper 212+ - Zotac RTX 2070 Super Amp - 32 GB(16x2) DDR 4 @ 3200Mhz - CM HAF 922 - Samsung RU7100 43" - Sennheiser HD 598 powered by ASUS Xonar DG - Edifier S350DB - Logitech G603 - Razer Goliathus Speed Edition - Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Xbox One S Controller - Windows 10 Pro

On 3/21/2019 at 3:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

1.Can you collaborate with Edward Joseph Snowden.

2.Can you make a review video about librem 5 product.

3.Can you make a review video about all prism products.

4.Can you make a video about cheapest gaming PC under $300.

5.Can you suggest to AMD that they will make a cheapest new generation APU like athlon 3000g ?

Nice to see a PC builder not taking advantage and scalping! This PC could conceivably be built for $100 cheaper if the 3070 was even available, but considering it's not this PC is a STEAL! Considering other PC builders are selling PCs with 16060tis in them for $1500 I'm pretty impressed buy iBuyPower!

https://www.ibuypower.com/

IBuyPower.PNG

3 hours ago, tanvirhasan2904 said:

4.Can you make a video about cheapest gaming PC under $300.

If you are going with all new parts:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ would be a decent rig for e-sports or mid 2010's games; but at that price point, used hardware is the best you can do.

A 5xxx series Athlon APU is likely not coming for a while, they aren't exactly money makers for AMD. 

On 11/20/2020 at 1:00 AM, flo_306 said:

obviously they are not worth it bcs they are to old

a 960 I totally agree with, a 1060 6GB may still be a good option for e-sports low settings or casual A-AA games. I wouldn't SOTR on it and expect it to play well, but like Rocket league or CS:GO are still possible to play enjoyably on one with low-medium setting no problem. 

Secret shopper was just redone ;)

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Secret shopper was just redone ;)

I know that's why I thought it was funny. Their iBuyPowerPC in their latest secret shopper was $1500 and only had a 2070 in it. Now they're selling 3070s for the same price which aren't even available and are

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

Just how bad can a computers performance get with viruses and malware alone? With basic windows protection and or totally exposed... nude... naked...

Are shout outs given for these by the way? 

This is probably going to be an unpopular or controversial idea, but I'll suggest it anyways.

Linus and many other tech enthusiasts often decry userbenchmark.com as worthless garbage. They suggest looking through reviews as an alternative instead, this is fairly worthless advice to me personally. When I'm looking to buy a new desktop processor myself I'll spend the time to look at reviews and get a good idea of the performance, but this only represents a portion of the comparisons I do when it comes to processors.

When it comes to researching laptops for myself or others the exact performance of a cpu doesn't matter to me as much. I'm mostly just curious in a comparison of the general single-threaded and multi-threaded performance of two cpus and if they have integrated graphics, that too.

For example, recently I've been considering buying a new laptop. My current 'laptop' is a Surface Pro 3 with an i5-4300U. I don't have full control over the cpu my new laptop might have because it's only one of a number of components that get bundled together and isn't the single determining factor in a decision. So I use userbenchmark as an extremely easy place to go to compare the single-threaded, multi-threaded, and sometimes integrated graphics performance of an i5-4300U, i3-1005G1, Ryzen 7 4700U, i5-1135G7, and i7-10750H among other chips.

Obviously the 'effective speed' score userbenchmarks gives is mostly useless. But as I possess the ability to use a scroll wheel it's easy to get a rough comparison of the single-core and multi-core performance of the cpus. This is FAR quicker than trying to scrub through youtube videos looking for comparisons between cpus that might never be popular enough to get benchmarked by reliable channels. And for my purposes a ROUGH estimate/comparison is all I'm looking for.

I've seen people recommend using cinebench scores for these comparisons. I consider that a great idea, but I don't know where to go for a list of all cpus. I can find partial lists (https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-r20-scores-updated-results/), but if someone could point me to a site that stored a more comprehensive list that would be awesome. There may also be other sites like that out there, and if so, I'd like to learn about them.

Given all my justification above for using userbenchmark personally. I would like to see a video of Linus and maybe another person competing (Or maybe multiple people without a great knowledge of CPUs would be more ideal) to see who can come up with reasonable performance comparisons between multiple low/mid/high tier cpus the fastest. And not just comparisons of different tiers but cpus with 5 years or so apart in generations, that's a more realistic upgrade scenario than 1-2 years. Maybe force one team to only use youtube videos while the other team can't use videos. The biggest problem is I'm not sure how you would really measure/score the effectiveness of these techniques.

Alternatively, have a video where someone shows a better alternative to userbenchmark for these purposes. LTT makes videos, obviously you're biased towards thinking videos are a great way of communicating information fast. But when it comes to this type of thing I think sortable/filterable tables/charts are far more useful. Please take the time to research other sites and share that information. (Maybe this would be better as a TechQuickie video)

Don't just keep saying you never use userbenchmark because it's garbage. Actually prove it. And show better alternatives (I'm sure there's plenty out there).