Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
4 hours ago, lolimgood said:

review of the first Oled tv, the SONY XEL-1

Techmoan just did that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7GUSltewuA

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I hear there's a Winter One PC case video in the works, if not, would love to see one! Best SFF case design for a custom loop build I've ever seen!

Also, EK just launched their new 3080/3090 FE Special Edition water blocks which is CNCed from a 20mm solid aluminium piece: https://www.ekwb.com/news/special-edition-ek-quantum-water-blocks-for-nvidia-rtx-3080-fe-gpus-are-here/

EK also have a new ASUS/EK colab 3080/3090 card being released this month: https://www.ekwb.com/news/asus-partners-up-with-ek-to-deliver-water-cooler-geforce-rtx-30-series-gpus/

And finally, Aorus recently launched their Waterforce 3080: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080AORUSX-WB-10GD#kf

With so many cool new water-cooled cards coming out to help combat the heat and power output of the 30xx cards, a video comparing all of them compared to conventional air-coolers would be sick (both in performance and dB).

PS, love your channels ❤️

With the Rise of Ryzen in the market, one of the selling points (and one of the reasons I purchased a 1800x on launch day with a x370 motherboard) was the future planning for the AM4 socket.  Unlike chips of the past, I "shouldn't" need to upgrade my Motherboard to replace my CPU.

With 4 generations of Ryzen out there, and some x370 boards even working with 5000 series chips, I feel it's time to put this promise to the test.  Sure, we lose out on things like PCIe 4.0 and other features, but do these matter?  (really, it's a question).

Does a does the promised percentages work on older motherboards?  Will running a 5000 gen CPU on a launch day mobo even work, and if it does, does it still deliver on the performance or does it take a massive hit?

While a lot of manufactures might want us to upgrade every cycle, is it even necessary? 

2 minutes ago, Evanair said:

With the Rise of Ryzen in the market, one of the selling points (and one of the reasons I purchased a 1800x on launch day with a x370 motherboard) was the future planning for the AM4 socket.  Unlike chips of the past, I "shouldn't" need to upgrade my Motherboard to replace my CPU.

With 4 generations of Ryzen out there, and some x370 boards even working with 5000 series chips, I feel it's time to put this promise to the test.  Sure, we lose out on things like PCIe 4.0 and other features, but do these matter?  (really, it's a question).

Does a does the promised percentages work on older motherboards?  Will running a 5000 gen CPU on a launch day mobo even work, and if it does, does it still deliver on the performance or does it take a massive hit?

While a lot of manufactures might want us to upgrade every cycle, is it even necessary? 

If I remember correctly, AMD said x370 boards would not be officially supported, though some manufacturers might make it possible. PCIe 4.0 can make a difference in terms of allowing for even faster SSD's (though there are some really fast PCIe 3.0 SSD's out there too, just not quite as fast. The WD Black SN750 has 3.4 GIGABYTES/Second consecutive read speeds, and 2.7 GBytes/S conescutive writes, and it is PCIe 3.0. It's my Boot SSD and I love it). Another place that PCIe 4.0 can make a difference is less of a performance hit for GPU's when you are bifurcating slots to connect multiple GPU's to the slot (Assuming the GPU's have PCIe 4.0 support), as a PCIe 4.0 1x is equivalent in speed to a PCIe 3.0 2x slot. Of course the faster USB ports and other similar features all depend on your own setup and needs. Additionally, the newer MB's often have better power delivery. So I don't know what your MB is capable in those regards, but I would make sure your MB is capable of providing enough power to whatever 5000 series CPU you plan to get, as I know the Ryzen 3000 and 5000 CPU's may draw more power than the 1000 series CPU's.

Sorry for double post in general section but was advised to post here:

Hi guys,

Long-term viewer, first time poster (apologies didn’t see a ‘video suggestion section)

Saw this and thought of Linus - buy it as is, review, give it a ‘pimp my ride’ upgrade with modern hardware, review,  then see if you can do better with ‘gaming’ software, off the shelf controllers etc from 2020.

Once done - something really special for your employee lounge!

https://collectingcars.com/parts/ferrari-f1-driving-simulator

Keep up great work if you read this Linus, I’m about same age and ended up in corporate IT sales selling high end DC equipment and I know there’s a few folk in the industry my age that are discrete fans!

Cheers,

Rick

Do PC Secret Shopper but with Gaming Laptops called Laptop Secret Shopper

Some guy interested in tech

I'll issue a Challenge for your writers & sponsorship sales guys:

Video which would essentially be neverending sponsor product placement from different sponsors and somehow actually form coherent content with it.

Think like 15+ sponsors in one video and the content around them actually making sense. 

Nothing as easy as simple PC build. You could have some real fun with that video and make some meta-jokes about being sellouts and stuff. Just go absolutely crazy.

I don't know if it's already done but you guys should do some 'realistic' gaming environment testing with different CPUs.

Maybe with an IDE running in the background, a browser, photoshop, etc so that you can determine and test the performance of their setup while keeping their work 'alt-tabbed'. 

A video about the daily server maintenance and what you guys have to do to keep up with everything and how or if you guys do backups on everyone's computer, pretty much how you guys handle routine maintenance and how to keep up with everything.

With the Laptop market in somewhat of a recovery, can you give a overview of what to look for in the 300-900$ range? You've done videos like it in the past, and with the covid shake-up, I think it's a good topic to revisit, because the market has changed and you put out a video before to buy now. A lot of my college friends had to put off laptop purchases for the school year because there wasn't anything out there in their price range. The change in value for webcams is something to look into too.

I'm seeing Dell added a number of Ryzen 3450U systems to their store, and a few good systems in the 15 5000 range with 4700U that are limited to 8gb of ram, are these models capable of being upgraded? BTW, are dual core laptops going to age really badly in the next two to three years as more quad core machines enter the market? It seems like AMD is pushing intel to the quad core and beyond in laptops, will that age hardware more in the next 2-4 years more than usual? They're starting to reach the 400$ range in some places for a older 8th gen i5. Should I make a switch?

Is the tablet market going to be going through some upheaval with the arrival of mid range phone chips in devices like the Duet? I've always wondered about the R&D costs that Lenovo has sunk into something like that, and while I've heard nothing but glowing praises for it from people who own one, I would rather a Laptop variant. With Apple going phone-like Arm chips for their laptops, what sort of responses like the Duet are already out there?

Sorry if I rambled. I saw the thread and had to make a account and comment. First time on the forum.

(For any review of the Radeon 6800, 6800XT or/and 6900XT - Bit of community worry?)

One concerning issue that recently came up here on the AMD Reddit with one and a half thousand upvotes was people worried about OpenGL performance. Now sure, OpenGL is an aging library, but there are tons of games that still use it; even some new releases. One big name to say the least is Minecraft Java Edition, the go to version for modding, and the issues that lie in comparisons between NVIDIA and AMD.

It was horrible to see the type of performance that was shown with the 5700XT (let's not even talk about prior releases to it...this was a big improvement) where cases that had Minecraft at ~300 FPS in a modpack for a NVIDIA equivalent card had like ~50 FPS for Radeon. It's honestly made me really think hard about what I should do now.

This doesn't just fall under Minecraft, emulators are effected too. Pretty sure even tools like Blender use it. I'm not really giving it full justice for the use cases so check out the link prior. Overall it's just really saddening to see that their showcase didn't show any information about it because well...they probably didn't fix it. Drivers have been horrid like 12 years or something now. If something can be squeezed in just about AMD drivers (primarily on Windows) and their continual effort to ignore the community for years now, well...I'm sure a lot of people could feel better. But hey, I think we'd all be in for feeling better if they did manage to make changes.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

This weird Nvidia sound booster card?

https://dl.wish.com/HT3V3

RTX 3080 | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB RAM |

What I'd like to see is:

* a benchmark of 4TB CMR drives (comparing 'regular' CMR drive with NAS-marketed CMR drives and Surveillance-marketed CMR drives)

What are the performance diffrences, exactly? (Beyond the marketing for a particular purpose). If anyone has benchmarked currently-selling 4TB CMR drives, I still haven't found it.

I think 7200rpm drives can be excluded since they are in another price bracket, typically, but they can be thrown in for fun if desired. SSDs are too expensive too, so I think they should be excluded.

I think this is a good idea because 4TB should be nice common 'mainstream' size now & we need to see just what differences there are between the differently-marketed drives in a similar-ish price range.

Suggestion. Spot check Linus (and other employees) during scenes to make sure their draw-string isn't bumping against their zipper while using a lav-mic. 

Was super distracting during todays video, happened for 2 minutes of it (start at 13:45). I notice it once in a while but today it went a little too long so I had to mention something lol. 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

I really think we Need a Battle of the BEHEMOTHS Case Battle.

Where Linus tests and reviews all "OLD" supertower PC cases, that where released in the last 20 years.

Custom cases are not allowed {So no mountain mods cases}

The Cases must be As big as Possible, the Bigger the Case the better.

A few examples:

Thermaltake Mozart TX 

Thermaltake Tower 900

Thermaltake Core W100
Lian Li PC-X1000

Lian Li PC-D600B

Lian Li PC-D8000

Corsair Obsidian 1000D

coolermaster Haf stacker {ATX model+ extra case}

Test that can be done:

- Ease of use

- Looks

- Expansion ability 

- Motherboards {2????}

- size to hardware ratio

- Watercooling

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

The Asrock ROMED4ID-2T ITX AMD EPYC Motherbard

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I’ve been an avid technology user and follower for years.

And for a while there wasn’t anything that really had my attention. 

In the last ten years, there where only a few things that made me raise eyebrows: usable smartphones, VR / AR, wireless headphones that don’t suck, wireless charging, 4K and reasonably priced cleaning robots.

And this one thing. 

I have an amazing dog and he likes to walk his own paths. To be on the safe side I bought a GPS pet tracker - Findster. 

There hundreds of pet trackers but this one is special.

There are Bluetooth  trackers that are useless because of the range. Cellular/SIM trackers are great but they need cellular connection to work.

And there is this Findster, that has an interesting wireless protocol, probably based on medium to low frequency radio waves.

There are two modules. One on the dog and one in my pocket. 

Dog module gets a GPS location, sends it over this “findster bluetooth” to my pocket module and my pocket module sends it to my smartphone over bluetooth. They are the size of an Apple Watch.

And the range is roughly ~1k-3m. But it depends on the terrain, so there are some downsides.

Why is it so cool? Because it works in the wild where there is no cellular connection!

It is an amazing feeling, because it feels like you have a bluetooth like connection over 2km range. 
It feels like having a long range home wifi video LTT did some time ago.

I REPLACED my $1000 Wifi.... (LTT Video about good Ubiquity WI-FI)

I think this Findster company did something truly amazing and they deserve a shout out. 

PS. This is the dog 

IMG_8912.jpeg

another idea:

benchmark iPhone 12 mini vs the latest desktop CPUs: i9 10600K and Ryzen 5950X

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

all evga pc build

do a video with the ATX 12VO powered motherboard where you splice in a 12 volt battery and/or solar power pack. if you could get the entire desktop computer running off a battery that would be awsome

Edited by joe1234567890
misspelled the power standard

This stems from an off handed comment in the ep 1 of your secret shopper season 2.

Can you try and see how they would respond if you tell them you have a "high" budget (like $2k) but when asked what it will be used for, provide a list of low demand tasks (such as playing only LoL/CS:GO, web browsing, streaming etc)

See if any of them would actually tell you that you don't need a system of that price and can get away with something cheaper.