Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Can you make a video about how awful trying to type accented/international characters on the US English keyboard in Windows is?

It's so easy on Android and iOS.  Linux has the compose key.  MacOS has the option key.  Even Microsoft Office has somewhat reasonable key combos to make it work.

But Microsoft Windows' answer is memorize 4-digit alt codes and get an external numpad (they don't work on laptop number rows), flip to a different keyboard (like unusable US International), or install nonstandard third party software.  Maybe if you make this video Microsoft will finally fix this and let the whole world have the Euro sign, degrees, and accent characters (acute, grave, umlaut, circumflex, and tilde).

Hi, 

As you remember, recently Linus made a video about RTX 3090 SLI. I think with 48GB gigantic GDDR6 memory, a video about running Crysis Remastered using GPU as Drive/Disk with GPU Ram Drive utility could be wonderful https://github.com/prsyahmi/GpuRamDrive. (Crysis Remastered uses 20GB space) And if you want to Linus's made a video about this like me, please like this post. I hope LTT team see this :)

As more and more people get into Linux gaming, I think a video explaining custom kernels and their pros and cons would be very interesting and helpful.

4 minutes ago, 7rst1 said:

As more and more people get into Linux gaming, I think a video explaining custom kernels and their pros and cons would be very interesting and helpful.

In my view, such a video would only confuse prospective Linux users... custom kernels are a very niche thing, far more niche than even Linux itself. and making people feel that they need them when they could just do fine without and having them mess something up or get themselves confused would be a bad idea. The video would have to be carefully designed to ensure that those new to Linux as a whole didn't get bogged down in it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I'd love to see a video that shows the gaming systems of each of the LMG employees. After showing off their systems have them explain why they choose the configuration, a few things they would change if they could build it again, and one of their favorite parts of their build.

~James

A video on cheap older servers.

I've just bought a Dell poweredge R410 and have 24 cores 48GB ram for £150 you can setup with say Freenas to run VM's for game servers, Nas boxes, home CCTV, Plex server, ect, would be interesting as i'm not sure many people know how cheap this is an an option

Maybe an updated video from "These Servers are TOO EXPENSIVE - Hybrid Storage Explored"

Someone in the comments explained that all the issues you had could be solved 

"

You need to run the Tier Optimization Windows Schedule task to have Storage Spaces use its heat map and move the data between the SSD and mechanical tiers. You totally forgot, or didn't know, to do this. You can also specify the file name extensions that will always go to the SSD tier by default and how many days they stay there for. This is all built in, but you didn't set it up!!
"

3 minutes ago, ididit99 said:

I've just bought a Dell poweredge R410 and have 24 cores 48GB ram for £150 you can setup with say Freenas to run VM's for game servers, Nas boxes, home CCTV, Plex server, ect, would be interesting as i'm not sure many people know how cheap this is an an option

Where did you buy that?

3 minutes ago, ididit99 said:

I have just spent the last 2 weeks setting mine up with exactly this, Plus the nas storage is auto backed up to my google drive 

Just now, the gamer that is bad said:

Where did you buy that?

Just off ebay, The server was £100, I then also bought 2 Xeon 5549's (6 core 12 threads) for £16 I actually got 3 for the price

and 48GB of ram for about £40 all from Ebay 

It would be nice to see a few 'day in the life' vlog style videos for each of the departments, not knowing what it's like to work there behind the scenes has held me back from applying for any of their job openings when they come up. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

1. Review of Cavity Card

- "where to store your coins?" - solution for minimal wallets

- especially in EU it's impossible to not carry coins

- idk possible sponsored Ridge video?

https://www.cavitycard.com/

On 3/20/2019 at 11:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Nvidia 3090

Well it's not a hardware review suggestion, but a thought. As a big leap in tech that this GPU is, I think the gamers are the last to get it. First are the bitcoin farmers, then people that render (like Pixar), the hackers and in the end gamers.

You always benchmark games that honestly, don't use the full potential of the current line up of GPU, at least not yet. Can you compare 2080 vs 3090 on business perspective? For example watts per frame (blender), time per frame (blender), bitcoins per watt, I honestly don't know what is the advantage on password generators I m not Anthony.

The story is "when will gamers get their hand on?". New GPUs processing power is a big selling point, so do Nvidia really aiming gamers? 

A watercooling build where the coolant is liquid ass: https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Ass-Mister/dp/B000OCEWGW

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Dear Linus Media Group,

I have a suggestion for a video, which you may like.
You made a video recently about gaming on Linux, and why it is sometimes a great option to do so.
So I was thinking, then it might also be possible to cluster a few Raspberry Pi's together (maybe with the PoE HAT), and try a few games on that.
With good cooling (fan powered), you can overclock the new Raspberry Pi 4 up to 2,1 GHz, and the GPU to 600 Mhz.
I know you like water-cooling, so maybe you can even squeeze more performance out of it😀😉.
When you use for example 4 Raspberries as node, and 1 as manager, you have a 16 core 2,1 GHz system, sounds good to me.
I'm not sure how many games can run on ARM64, but maybe it's worth a try?

Please tell me what you think about it,
Hugo

5 minutes ago, hugovantriet said:

When you use for example 4 Raspberries as node, and 1 as manager, you have a 16 core 2,1 GHz system, sounds good to me.
I'm not sure how many games can run on ARM64, but maybe it's worth a try?

The only sure thing is that none of them can be "spread" to run on a cluster, so it's not even possible.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

36 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The only sure thing is that none of them can be "spread" to run on a cluster, so it's not even possible.

What do you mean exactly? You can use raspberries to make a cluster setup right? What did I miss?

1 minute ago, hugovantriet said:

What do you mean exactly? You can use raspberries to make a cluster setup right? What did I miss?

Not a lot of games can easily have their workload split between multiple CPUs.

This is why single-core performance is so important when choosing a CPU for PC gaming.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

And even less between multiple computers.

A cluster is a bunch of computers talking over a network. You can't magically split an existing game to run some part of itself on one computer and the rest on another, clustered applications need to be designed for that from the get go. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

32 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Not a lot of games can easily have their workload split between multiple CPUs.

This is why single-core performance is so important when choosing a CPU for PC gaming.

29 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

And even less between multiple computers.

A cluster is a bunch of computers talking over a network. You can't magically split an existing game to run some part of itself on one computer and the rest on another, clustered applications need to be designed for that from the get go. 

That actually makes a lot of sense, I'm kind of disappointed in my own stupidity. Maybe there are some other cool applications for clustering to dive in for LMG? I still think it's a very cool technology to have much computing power for a reasonable price.

Suggestion to make an update video on using large sd storage as game drive.

The video 2018 video was using a microsdxc with U1, V10, C10 on a phone that on a phone that support only microsd which may not have been able utilize the card's to its fullest potential.

Here is a link to a micro with U3, A1, V30, C10 which should be fast enough to use as a game drive if the phone supports microsdxc.

Its on sale at the time this post  was posted and it is 512gb in size.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/626488/micro-center-512gb-microsdxc-class-10---u3---v30---a1-flash-memory-card-with-adapter

Here are the sites were I got my info from.

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/speed_class/index.html

https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05/09/buyers-guide-microsd-cards-classes-speeds-recommendations-spring-2017/

I have seen that laptop has better performance if you connect it to external monitor. I dont actually know if its true, because it seems little bit weird, but it would be pretty cool to see the test from LTT, its actually interesting thing. I was actually talking about it here: