Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Right so you know how Luke a while back tried the Pizza PC? Well what about cooking a steak with your PC?

Basically I was looking at trying to put together a 12v sous vide setup in a campervan so food could cook whilst we drive, and stumbled on to the idea of if I could use watercooling parts for circulating the water, then I remembered Intel's new 12v only standard and started wondering... could I use a cpu to heat a large enough body of water suitable for sous vide cooking? Sous vide doesn't actually need to boil water, you'll normally cook a steak for example with sous vide at around 60deg, and all you need to do is maintain that temp once you've hit it, in theory with a bit of patience, and some insulated pipes and water bath to prevent excessive temperature loss, it might be possible! The tricky bit potentially would be finding a bit of software that could read the cpu the temps and dynamically increase or decrease load on the cpu on the fly to maintain a steady temperature.

I know Linus was talking about building a PC that ran straight off the cars 12v supply, so in actual fact this would lead in beautifully as well as not only could you have the PC in the car, but it could cook your dinner too!

On 10/21/2020 at 11:04 PM, Schnoz said:

Sketchy coolers proposal: A standard AIO cooler or watercooling loop but filled with Galinstan (eutectic, nontoxic liquid metal, basically Conductonaut) instead of water. I believe that would be interesting.

Give its viscosity and surface tension, as reported on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galinstan), one would expect it to actually move very little, beyond a short distance from the pump...

1 hour ago, botond08 said:

Interesting.....
https://www.xda-developers.com/pro1-x/
XDA made a phone!

It's a rebranded device, big oof XDA...

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

I would like to see a test of using the starlink beta connection "Better than nothing"

I was taking apart an old 2009 macbook yesterday (mostly because I can't afford to build a new computer) and pulled out the magsafe module. I though that maybe someone could make a video out of adding magsafe to a new USBc computer. And who better than LMG. So if you want to consider doing a video just contact me over email or something.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

20 hours ago, Iso286 said:

Right so you know how Luke a while back tried the Pizza PC? Well what about cooking a steak with your PC?

Basically I was looking at trying to put together a 12v sous vide setup in a campervan so food could cook whilst we drive, and stumbled on to the idea of if I could use watercooling parts for circulating the water, then I remembered Intel's new 12v only standard and started wondering... could I use a cpu to heat a large enough body of water suitable for sous vide cooking? Sous vide doesn't actually need to boil water, you'll normally cook a steak for example with sous vide at around 60deg, and all you need to do is maintain that temp once you've hit it, in theory with a bit of patience, and some insulated pipes and water bath to prevent excessive temperature loss, it might be possible! The tricky bit potentially would be finding a bit of software that could read the cpu the temps and dynamically increase or decrease load on the cpu on the fly to maintain a steady temperature.

I know Linus was talking about building a PC that ran straight off the cars 12v supply, so in actual fact this would lead in beautifully as well as not only could you have the PC in the car, but it could cook your dinner too!

Actually reading back a lot of people have suggested doing with dry water... you could actually combine those ideas and this one.

Build a PC in a well insulated coolbox filled with dry water, put in some basic water circulation, find a way of software controlling the cpu and gpu temps to stay at a set temperature as suggested above, then throw a vacuum sealed bag of steak and job done... hopefully...

BTW since I didn't explain before, if you're not sure what sous vide is, this gives a pretty good description of what it is and how it works: https://anovaculinary.com/what-is-sous-vide/

There should be a video that goes over RGB Compatibility and the best ways to run the most RGB with the least software. Examples: How MSI Software can control some Corsair products like headsets, or how Razer integrates with Hue/MSI. You could make it a competition to see who can do a build that runs the most gear, but has lowest system impact on performance.

Being a composer I've always wanted to see Linus source, build and test a PC for VSTi sample library composition. It's a niche market but the number of composers who use virtual instruments have exploded in the last 6 years(with a lot of sample library companies making more instruments that demand a ton of hardware resources)and it would be interesting to see a rig built for something other than gaming or video editing. Just a thought.

Cheers! 

3d printed ATX case on printers that are too small to print a full size case

i feel this would inspire people to be more creative and hands on with their PC customization, as 3d printing is becoming more accessible to consumers every day.

you guys have an i3 farm, id love to see a case that you can print and piece together and then compare it to a commercial case. 

idea inspired by the pyramid case. 

I was talking with my wife, and are debating over gaming, internet use etc. I couldn't find anything conclusive thus far. It would be cool if Linus could make a video about this:

- How many gamers are out there (per type device: PC, Smartphone, Consoles)

- How many people own a Computer, Laptop or Mac at home

- How many people own a Smartphone

- How many people use the internet on a daily basis on those aforementioned devices

How come Linus (or anybody really, for that matter) never covers Falcon Northwest prebuilts? Maybe they're not quite at the prowess they once were, but they still make some pretty cool small form factor PCs, and they're they longest running independent gaming PC manufacturer that I know of. They put a lot of pride in their craftsmanship and do some pretty cool stuff with case graphics. 

Not biased, or anything, but I still own and [retro] game on my family's first x86 PC, a Falcon Northwest Mach V from '99. 

2 hours ago, thermalgoop said:

How come Linus (or anybody really, for that matter) never covers Falcon Northwest prebuilts? Maybe they're not quite at the prowess they once were, but they still make some pretty cool small form factor PCs, and they're they longest running independent gaming PC manufacturer that I know of. They put a lot of pride in their craftsmanship and do some pretty cool stuff with case graphics. 

Not biased, or anything, but I still own and [retro] game on my family's first x86 PC, a Falcon Northwest Mach V from '99. 

I'm a bit older than Linus... and I have never heard of that PC you speak of lol. Could be because he's too young (like myself back then).

I don't think I've seen LTT make a video on a current prebuilt unless it was sent by the manufacturer.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Since you are one of the few that care about blender performance on new GPU
Can you please please mention if the new AMD's GPU will be good for it? not just as a raw performance, but in software basis
For example if i will be able to use denoiser while on circles, or after i finish rendering to clear my image

I know a bunch of people (myself included) who love the appeal of water cooling but don't like putting water in their machines.

I currently have a water cooled PC and I'm always paranoid. lol

So what about testing something like this? Servers already do a simular process by having custom funnels to direct the air flow. With water cooling components, most of this setup should be simple, just need something that mounts to the fans and funnels them into a splitter and instead of making a loop, route the air to an exhaust.

image.thumb.png.ff6d40af830b234edfb457613d30c5a1.png

That's basically what a case does already, except there's no funneling because it's not needed...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 hours ago, Midevil Chaos said:

I'm a bit older than Linus... and I have never heard of that PC you speak of lol. Could be because he's too young (like myself back then).

I'm considerably younger than Linus. It's probably more that they're a decently small prebuilt shop based in Oregon with absolutely no intention of increasing in size or capacity.  I'm sure at the time that Voodoo was bought by HP and Alienware by Dell, Falcon had some offers.  

And I don't just mean LTT should check out a box they made, I mean like a full Puget Systems-eque tour of their facility (obv not so possible right now given the current global situation). They staff air brushing artists! Maximum PC magazine in the early-mid 00s featured Falcons on the cover from time to time. Usually heavily airbrushed Mach Vs. Young me drooled very much. 

12 hours ago, thermalgoop said:

How come Linus (or anybody really, for that matter) never covers Falcon Northwest prebuilts?

Because Falcon won't pay them for a video.

Now that you guys have LDAT and PCAP, can you measure the difference in input lag between linux and windows in some games like csgo, shadow of tomb raider, etc ?

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hey, i have a good idea that should generate some views. So ltt as a company has a ton of parts laying around, i know some are loaners from manufacturers. Since the pandemic has sent many people out of work here in the US and in canada i thought it would be cool to use some of the parts you have laying around, like doubles and triples of parts and make pc's for people that are in a hard place since 2020 hit.

Nothing amazing just systems to get people back to work or for children that cannot use a pc at home. It doesnt have to be current gen, hiw much has really changed for mid tier systems in the last few gens.

Maybe get together with a local establishment that works with low income families???

10 hours ago, thermalgoop said:

I'm considerably younger than Linus. It's probably more that they're a decently small prebuilt shop based in Oregon with absolutely no intention of increasing in size or capacity.  I'm sure at the time that Voodoo was bought by HP and Alienware by Dell, Falcon had some offers.  

And I don't just mean LTT should check out a box they made, I mean like a full Puget Systems-eque tour of their facility (obv not so possible right now given the current global situation). They staff air brushing artists! Maximum PC magazine in the early-mid 00s featured Falcons on the cover from time to time. Usually heavily airbrushed Mach Vs. Young me drooled very much. 

I remember them. They were selling to us in the UK at one point even (don't know if they still are, not interested enough to look), but they definitely don't seem to have the profile these days they used to, I'd practically forgotten they existed until you mentioned them.

Generally LTT only tend to review pre-built hardware if it's sponsored (the recent VRLA one for example), or there is something distinctly interesting about it, and sadly even air brushing isn't that interesting, and Linus can't *make* them pay for a sponsored slot if they don't want to.

Personally I'm completely cool with pre-builts even boutique one's only being covered if they are sponsored, as whilst I do get they are a necessary evil, they are to be frank pretty damn dull (Linus tries bless him, but it's hard to make an interesting vid about off the shelf parts pre-thrown together).