GameStop selling hardware now?!

Frugivore8894

Summary

Well good news for Linus beaches game stop might be charging to a more profitable business! GameStop is going to start selling GPUs.

Quotes

As reported by PCMag, GameStop has undertaken a new business venture. The renowned video game retailer has started selling computer hardware on its online store, including Nvidia's elusive GeForce RTX 3000 (Ampere) offerings that are among the best graphics cards that money can buy -- or rather cannot buy.

My thoughts

I think this might be a rebirth of game stop. The GPU maker is a very profitable place right now and this might just be the right maker to get in to. I do think this is a good idea and I do think that they should expand on to this market more especially if it goes well. 

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/need-a-geforce-rtx-3000-gpu-gamestop-can-hook-you-up

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

Now seems like among the worst times they could have decided to try and go in this direction.

If they continue the trend of focusing on the used market though, it could give an outlet for a more "mainstream" used hardware market, though I'd expect their trade values to continue to be pretty piss poor.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

So I’m other words they aren’t selling anything new

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

I really don't see the point in gamestop selling graphics cards, especially now that prices are really jacked up, or theres nothing in stock. And according to the tomshardware article Gamestop is selling them for more than Newegg.

GameStop is renowned for selling new and used console games and hardware; but at least they test the hardware with defect return.

And there's the rub with purchasing a used GPU, there's no guarantee you're not buying something sketchy / defective in some way. GameStop could standardize buying used GPUs, benching them and running a validation stress on them. It wouldn't be all that complicated for the clerk. And buyers can buy used with some more meaningful assurance. So the way I see it, GameStop can leverage both the new and used GPU market.

31 minutes ago, Semper said:

Now seems like among the worst times they could have decided to try and go in this direction.

If they continue the trend of focusing on the used market though, it could give an outlet for a more "mainstream" used hardware market, though I'd expect their trade values to continue to be pretty piss poor.

They're probably banking on buying up used GPUs for cents and selling them at or above MSRP.

It could probably work.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Oh nice, I hope they also accept trade-ins for GPUs as well! Can't wait to trade a $1000 GPU for $5 in store rebate on used hardware.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Oh nice, I hope they also accept trade-ins for GPUs as well! Can't wait to trade a $1000 GPU for $5 in store rebate on used hardware.

I also figured they'd just pull all the cards out of the boxes, throw away the manuals, and slap a sticker on them that can never be cleanly removed. It is Game Stop afterall.

I got the email that they were going to have GPUs for sale.  Couldn't find them online at all.  Minutes later sold out email showed up.  Yay! lol

3 hours ago, Downkey said:

So I’m other words they aren’t selling anything new

It's pretty much a guarantee that that even if they sold new GPU's they wouldn't be trading in any used ones.

Computer hardware has a very low resell value, and anyone going into it with that mindset other than putting it on eBay is going to lose money. Unless they're going to put everything on consignment. 

With that said, they probably realized that it could be more profitable to try and sell high-end PC GPU parts along side PS5's and Xbox whatever's since not many physical games people care about to buy used when they can buy them digitally on sale for 80% off.

This seems to be the way of things - Best Buy and Walmart are selling components in a real way now

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

12 hours ago, TetraSky said:

What's funny is Gamestop's trade-in promotions can be gamed sometimes. Like when I wanted Persona 5 Royal they had a $5 extra on every game traded in towards a preorder deal so I went to the pawn shop and spent like $9 on XBox 360 and Wii games and sold them to Gamestop for all but like $2 needed to pay for the preorder. Another time I used a combination of two promotions they had going to sell them a copy of Nioh for PS4 for like $120 of PSN credit. I remember people using that same promotion to go buy games at Walmart and Best Buy for like $20, taking the wrapping off, and selling them to Gamestop for like $70 store credit so they'd get Switch + Pro Controller + Zelda bundles for like $180 out of pocket back when Switches were impossible to find a few months after launch.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What's funny is Gamestop's trade-in promotions can be gamed sometimes. Like when I wanted Persona 5 Royal they had a $5 extra on every game traded in towards a preorder deal so I went to the pawn shop and spent like $9 on XBox 360 and Wii games and sold them to Gamestop for all but like $2 needed to pay for the preorder. Another time I used a combination of two promotions they had going to sell them a copy of Nioh for PS4 for like $120 of PSN credit. I remember people using that same promotion to go buy games at Walmart and Best Buy for like $20, taking the wrapping off, and selling them to Gamestop for like $70 store credit so they'd get Switch + Pro Controller + Zelda bundles for like $180 out of pocket back when Switches were impossible to find a few months after launch.

That reminds me of the time I got the circular scratch on one of my Xbox 360 games and gamestop wouldn't replace it because its the result of moving your Xbox while it was moving. I bought a new copy of the same game from BestBuy and swapped the game out and brought it back. BestBuy swapped it out for a new one no question asked. I then flipped the other game to a friend for 40 bucks instead of the 60 bucks i paid for it. Yeah I was out 20 bucks but it was better than spending 60 dollars on the game again. 

I thought GameStop always sold hardware.  Just not gpus.  Lot of controllers and things.  Shouldn’t be much of a stretch to add a new product.  They probably don’t even need to modify their inventory software. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 hours ago, PopReference said:

So is having GPUs out of stock the new fade right now? Should I open my own store just to say I have no product to sell, because its cool?

My dad used to sing this song which makes me think this is a later cover of the song.  Most of his favorites were 50’s vintage or older.  Sometimes much.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Kind of surprised it took them this long to make this decision. CEX (basically gamestop equivalent in UK) has been doing this for years, buying and selling PC hardware. Though CEX doesn't buy or sell motherboards, psu's or cases, only memory, storage, gpu's, cpu's and fully working pc's, oh and network cards.

inb4 sold out

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

6 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

inb4 sold out

Too late I think.  Stock is probably periodically being resupplied though. 

20 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

More Theft...Great

Got a point. Theft by swindle is still theft.

10 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

Of course it is.

It brings me back to the days when you had to refund a customer because they used A/E. Missing items, etc. Very frustrating when there is nothing wrong with the item:

99 % User Error.

I understand in the retail industry they refer to shoplifting as “stock shrinkage” it doesn’t matter why there is less product, just that there is.  If a given console damaged disks easily that would contribute to “stock shrinkage”.

the whole difference between Sam’s club/Costco and other big box groceries was aggressive behaviors to control stock shrinkage.  That’s why all the products are gigantic there.  It’s not about “valu size” it’s about making the products physically larger so they’re harder to hide.  Also the “membership cards” the people at the door, everything.  It’s basically the only difference.

1 minute ago, SGT-AMD said:

To solve that problem, We had bought display cases that locked, and limited how many were out front.

One of the employees was making lots of money, stealing the product and then selling it on his own.

He quietly quit.

I used to have a Costco membership but did the math and it turned out it wasn’t actually materially cheaper given gas to get there and membership fees unless I shopped there literally ALL the time, which wasn’t feasible, so I dumped it.

It seems like they are jumping on the scalper train after all. It's funny to easily differ your former favorite shops by scalpers and honest MSRP priced selling shops from each other. Know which businesses to support and not.