Should Websites Be Required To Have A Dark Mode Option?

TheCoder2019

Vote for your preferred theme: Dark vs Light Theme  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should Websites Be Required To Have A Dark Mode Option?

• Yes and let there be "Freedom of Theme"
    • No and let the people suffer

Vote For Your Preferred Theme: Dark vs Light Theme

I personally vote Yes so my eyes don't burn out every time I visit GitHub or any other site that has this in their CSS:

html {
	background-color: #FFFFFF
    color: #000
}

It kills me, and this is also why Inspect Element exists...

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

7 hours ago, TheCoder2019 said:

every time I visit GitHub

images.jpg.0c69fde75b2ec57070bd72db0b955c9f.jpg

Github does have a dark theme!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

<rant>

It's not that easy. When I implemented it into my website, it took tons of tweaking and media elements modifying different things. It's not as simple as taking the text and turning it white and the background black.

For example, the menu bar:

image.png.1f75b072df4700b85f3e492f82512540.png

The page you're on (In this case, the home page) has a white background, not the other way around.

When you hover over a menu item, it looks more like this

image.png.f6142efa0218d04bc2c57ea989d79cc8.png

which has different colors then the background or the page you're on and isn't quite as easy as it sounds.

Another example: the background color. Seriously.

image.png.5795784c0f8d6df66aae090591c9578b.png

This is #0d0d0d. It took me 7 minutes to find this exact color. Really. I also tweaked it on my offline copy until I decided it was right.

There are TONS more examples, like the footnotes (which I like to be a slightly different color then the body background color.

</rant>

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Should Websites Be Required To Have A Dark Mode Option?

Absolutely not.

I'd rather have them focus on meaningful things, like options for people with limited vision or just general user experience.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It’s nice to have but nothing more

content and functionality should be more important than darkmode

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

i can't see a hugely compelling reason for a dark mode especially since many website already don't conform to established w3 standards and best practices (like screen reader accessibility for example)

No.

If you want sitewide dark mode, there are extensions that allow that(DarkReader, for example).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Making a dark mode that is actually usable is much harder than you likely think - if you look closely at the day and night themes here on the forum, you'll notice that there's a lot more to it than just inverting the colours. It would be nice if more websites did have a dark theme, but especially for a website as large as GitHub it is a lot of work to create and maintain.

HTTP/2 203

Uhh... like, by law? Seems a bit excessive... and there's a loooong list of things I'd require of a website before I get to the dark theme.

Also Dark Reader exists.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Github does have a dark theme!

Now it does!

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Uhh... like, by law? Seems a bit excessive... and there's a loooong list of things I'd require of a website before I get to the dark theme.

4r76u7.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Dark mode sucks and I don't why people rave about it. Any time I try to read Steam reviews it gives me a headache and strains my eyes for at least an hour. I can stare at white pages and read paragraphs of text all day long and be perfectly fine. It's proven to be far easier on the eyes to not have dark mode.

And then when I switch pages to something that doesn't have dark mode the brightness shift doesn't burn my eyes.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Dark mode sucks and I don't why people rave about it.

I don't get caught by my parents as easy with it enabled, and I think that's why some people use it. iOS has night shift so when I wake up in the middle of the night to check the time, I'm not "OH MY GOD ITS TOO BRIGHT"

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

There are actual accessibility issues that need to be solved first:

• Low contrast e.g. grey on white
  • Inconsiderate colour coding
  • Poor font choice
  • Pages which fuck up if you zoom in
  • Needless animation
  • CAPTCHAs with no audio option
  • Important text embedded in images

and so on.

Once those are eridicated, developers can turn their consideration to things like dark theme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Required? No.

Should they have one?

Absolutely, if the website is brighter than the sun.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I can stare at white pages and read paragraphs of text all day long and be perfectly fine. It's proven to be far easier on the eyes to not have dark mode.

Paper is not the same as a screen. A screen is backlit. Lowering the brightness helps but then you get flushed out colors. Dark themes on the other hand don't shine as much light in your eyes while keeping colors vivid.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I can see why the pages you visit do not have dark mode. You must insert a semicolon after properties. Fixed. You are welcome.

oop. We dont speak of that...

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

11 hours ago, TheCoder2019 said:

I don't get caught by my parents as easy with it enabled, and I think that's why some people use it. iOS has night shift so when I wake up in the middle of the night to check the time, I'm not "OH MY GOD ITS TOO BRIGHT"

I'm not 12. And if you are 12, stop doing stuff that you're afraid to get caught about.

Late night reading is a flawed argument. 1. White on black sucks to read and is bad for your eyes, 2. You shouldn't be reading or be holding a screen that close to your face if you're trying to sleep. If you're not trying to sleep, dark mode isn't really necessary.

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

Paper is not the same as a screen. A screen is backlit. Lowering the brightness helps but then you get flushed out colors. Dark themes on the other hand don't shine as much light in your eyes while keeping colors vivid.

I have other lights on. I don't sit in complete darkness, and neither do most other people. Dark mode is only useful for low-light applications, which realistically are pretty rare.

Otherwise yes, reading black font on white is far easier on the eyes whether it's paper or a screen.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I have other lights on. I don't sit in complete darkness, and neither do most other people. Dark mode is only useful for low-light applications, which realistically are pretty rare.

Says you. I find it better regardless of lighting conditions. The lower the light difference with the surroundings, the better.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I don't sit in complete darkness, and neither do most other people

tenor.gif?itemid=11362661

I almost never see the light

Dark mode is nice but not necessary

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately