When do you think PC building and PC in general will die?

LazyLand
7 minutes ago, wall03 said:

When mobile devices will be powerful enough as desktop computers, the things PCs will be needed to do will take more computing power. More then tablets.

When mobile devices catch up to a PC today at the same price, people will start doing more demanding things because it's easier to do because it's more accessible.

For example, if all 8K editing was a $750 computer, more people would use it, and people that spend more money on computers would start using more robust resolutions, because they can. Then mobile devices will not be fast enough to replace computers.

This paradox will go on for a long time, at least until @Den-Fi realizes 16K is about as good as 18K.

I am talking about the point in which no avarage gamer or video editor would need a dekstop computer. If power will be low enough no avarage person will need a dekstop heatsink and so consumer pcs will die.. Even if there will be higher end stuff for 10000$ and it will need a dekstop I'm trying to ask about the point in which any avarage person would not buy any dekstop anymore. 

36 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

We've got new computing technology on the horizon, look at quantum. Do you think quantum can manage to develop and shrink into mobile-only relevance in 25 years? What about if we discover yet another method of computation that required a new technology?

quantum computing doesn't make sense for ANY consumer workload as it creates many different variable outputs, It will almost 100% never be use in consumer workspaces, as it can't be used for what we want it to.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, Letgomyleghoe said:

quantum computing doesn't make sense for ANY consumer workload as it creats many different veriable outputs, It will almost 100% never be use in consumer workspaces, as it can't be used for what we want it to.

but my quantum gaming!!!!

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

For clarity lets define a PC as a stand alone device capable of running productivity or gaming programs and has at least one monitor, one keyboard, and a mouse or digital pen style input (wacom).

Even if technological gains continue to shrink computer technology, the only thing that will kill off the PC (as defined above) is wide spread networking technology that eliminates the need for stand alone functionality. Even then desktops will still be a thing. CAD, programing, video production, etc. all benefit from multi-monitor setups with multiple input devices. Tablets and laptops just can't provide that. If you plug a tablet or laptop into a docking station to have a multi-monitor setups with multiple input devices, you've turned the tablet or laptop into a desktop.

You are watching too many youtube bros.

Normal people have 20 hard drives in their computers.

Multiple PCIe expansion cards

Multiple monitors

And they lay down their towers horizontally because they don't need to show it for any camera.

16 minutes ago, LazyLand said:

I am getting 5 people attacking my ass

Not true! But on an adult conversation, if you are not ready to disagree, then don't start a conversation on the first place :) it's healthy.

Truth is that up until now, hardware is pushing games to do more and more. 

So as hardware develops then the needs of more power adds up.

Example: you don't edit 8K at 120 fps because cameras are not there and editing PC is not able to do it. So for that you will need years to catch up.

Games on Ray trasing are not even on the beginning! I found out on blender that game development is way less demanding that animations (eevee vs cycles)

So untill I see a movie grade game on 8k 240 fps, I m not convinced that we picked on hardware needs

8 minutes ago, LazyLand said:

ok fine, not attacking

by mobile ofcors I meant laptops or mac mini like, not phones. I just think that we will probably have low enough power consumption chips by 2045 and there will be no need or even an option for a dekstop

First of all, I don't know where you're getting the idea that power consumption will be the deciding factor. Electricity isn't getting exponentially more expensive. Power consumption or efficiency is more of a factor when you're dealing with a portable energy source - a battery. 

And low power consumption with comparable performance means higher efficiency. if the 2w chip of 2045 can do what the 280w threadrippers do today, what do you think the 280w chips of 2045 will be like? There's your answer. 

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

1 minute ago, zhnu said:

Maybe about the same time Legos die, look there will always be either special use cases, the need and will to customize things, I think you're thinking of a pc like you see it today, paradigms shift with time but that doesn't mean you're not going to be allowed to customize your compute device.

So I am asking about the avarage use no special casesssssssssssssssss CMON 

HERE, IN ONE SENTENCE

WHAT YEAR WILL A DEKSTOP COMPUTER NOT MAKE SENSE ANYMORE FOR THE AVARAGE EDITOR OR GAMER?

Just now, LazyLand said:

So I am asking about the avarage use no special casesssssssssssssssss CMON 

HERE, IN ONE SENTENCE

WHAT YEAR WILL A DEKSTOP COMPUTER NOT MAKE SENSE ANYMORE FOR THE AVARAGE EDITOR OR GAMER?

The year 100,000,000,002,020. 

A trillion years from now, when the approximate heat death of the universe takes place

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

Just now, LazyLand said:

I am talking about the point in which no avarage gamer or video editor would need a dekstop computer.

The games will keep on getting more and more demanding as our PCs get more and more capable. The average gamer will be attracted to those graphics, then want a more powerful computer, therefor needing something better then the consumer market.

2 minutes ago, LazyLand said:

If power will be low enough no avarage person will need a dekstop heatsink and so consumer pcs will die..

Tru but if you look at home computers from the 1980s and notice that the only cooling is some heat sinks and a tiny fan. We're pulling more power from the wall, not less. Yes, efficiency and what not, but the rate in which devices are more efficient is too slow

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

12 hours ago, LazyLand said:

That's the whole point, once we move to low enough chips with small enough transistors not even a high end gaming machine will be big.. At some point it will happen, dening it is false. 

Actually, eventually the size of the chips will start increasing again. There is a minimum size that transistors can be produced at period, let alone economically. Let's be clear: We are very nearly at that sizeMoore's law is over. The only remaining way to increase transistor count is to increase die size, making processors even larger than they already are.

Also, your statement falls flat on face value: Graphics cards would also have to reduce in size, which is the opposite of what we are seeing: they are increasing in size across the board, so long as you include factory coolers in the analysis.

Beyond that, the PC building scene is largely based around aesthetics right now, which requires empty space. Liquid cooling also requires vast amounts of space, among other considerations.

Laptops also have a minimum useful size: The screens must be large enough to be interesting and the keyboards large enough to be useful.

The PC building community will experience ups and downs, as it always does, but to say that it will die completely because mobile devices become more powerful is to display a serious misunderstanding of the community and the issues at hand.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

The games will keep on getting more and more demanding as our PCs get more and more capable. The average gamer will be attracted to those graphics, then want a more powerful computer, therefor needing something better then the consumer market.

Tru but if you look at home computers from the 1980s and notice that the only cooling is some heat sinks and a tiny fan. We're pulling more power from the wall, not less. Yes, efficiency and what not, but the rate in which devices are more efficient is too slow

By consumer market I meant anything that a person who isn't rich can allow himself. 

Yes, but there is a lot of talk about arm and also another one id remember it's name. hmm idk 

My guess was that we will gradually move to lower and lower power stuff, so in a few decades no consumer device would be a dekstop

Cloud gaming is the future but it’s still going to be a long time before you can run an raytracing game at 4K/120Hz on a client device.

It won’t be decades but it’s not next year...

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

16 minutes ago, LazyLand said:

ok fine, not attacking

by mobile ofcors I meant laptops or mac mini like, not phones. I just think that we will probably have low enough power consumption chips by 2045 and there will be no need or even an option for a dekstop

That may be the case, assuming that softwares don't develop alongside

Which is kind of not how things are right now, software developers will develop softwares to utilize the latest and greatest tech, so far I don't see them slowing down yet

There may be low powered chip that's fit for mobile phones that are as strong as desktops today, I mean our phones is stronger than many desktop PC just 10 years ago today, yet desktops continue to progress and softwares for them continue to progress

If anything, cloud computing have a higher chance of making owning a PC redundant

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Cloud gaming is the future but it’s still going to be a long time before you can run an raytracing game at 4K/120Hz on a client device.

It won’t be decades but it’s not next year...

doubt it, we all se how much people hate subscription based services for computers, routers etc. why would we do it with our computers?

AMD blackout rig

6 minutes ago, LazyLand said:

By consumer market I meant anything that a person who isn't rich can allow himself. 

Yes, but there is a lot of talk about arm and also another one id remember it's name. hmm idk 

My guess was that we will gradually move to lower and lower power stuff, so in a few decades no consumer device would be a dekstop

doubt it, sure the macbook and other ARM based and RISC-V CPU's are extremely power efficient, but as far as I've seen they don't scale well, and as said above, there's a constant want for higher power computing, so even if ARM can do what is possible on x86 in a few years, there will still be beefy desktop chips.

AMD blackout rig

6 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

doubt it, sure the macbook and other ARM based and RISC-V CPU's are extremely power efficient, but as far as I've seen they don't scale well, and as said above, there's a constant want for higher power computing, so even if ARM can do what is possible on x86 in a few years, there will still be beefy desktop chips.

Well, we'll see I guess 

13 minutes ago, LazyLand said:

What? Building a PC is basically always cheaper than buying one, or even buying a laptop, and provides several times the performance.

14 minutes ago, LazyLand said:

Once again, I don't know where you're getting this idea... Again, Electricity isn't getting exponentially more expensive. Low power consumption is a heat and battery life concern for things like phones and laptops. It has no bearing on the market for high-end, high-power parts

An attempt to sum up this entire back-and-forth:
Once low power consumption computers are as powerful as top-of-the-line rigs today, we will have needs for more power, putting things in the same position as they are now.

elephants

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

An attempt to sum up this entire back-and-forth:
Once low power consumption computers are as powerful as top-of-the-line rigs today, we will have needs for more power, putting things in the same position as they are now.

The Office Thank You GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Objectively false as there will always be people that need extra power that just cannot be delivered in smaller devices

stops being "objectively" false as soon the fastest tech also has the smallest form factor and bigger devices would be deemed unnecessary / too power-hungry and inefficient, which is kinda "objectively" the point OP was trying to make, "objectively". 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Once again, I don't know where you're getting this idea... Again, Electricity isn't getting exponentially more expensive. Low power consumption is a heat and battery life concern for things like phones and laptops. It has no bearing on the market for high-end, high-power parts

you forgot to put "objectively" somewhere to make this highly subjective and environmental issues ignoring opinion somehow seem more valid than it it really is... ;)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity