When do you think PC building and PC in general will die?

LazyLand

No, this is not one of the annoying stupid websites claiming pcs are dead or something. But I think we will need to accept that in the near future, pcs will die due to the much lower power consumption chips we will use. There will be no need for pcs anymore, only laptops and mini pcs like the mac mini.
What do you guys think ? I bet we don't have more than 25 years left. 

EDIT: I MEANT GAMING/EDITING PCS, NOT INCLUDING SUPER COMPUTERS OR HUGE SERVERS!

Just now, LazyLand said:

PCs will die due to the much lower power consumption chips we will use.

I see one possible flaw with this:

AMD, Intel, and Nvidia will probably make chips for people to build with. Without PC building, they won't make as much.

elephants

Just now, jaslion said:

Objectively false as there will always be people that need extra power that just cannot be delivered in smaller devices

That's the whole point, once we move to low enough chips with small enough transistors not even a high end gaming machine will be big.. At some point it will happen, dening it is false. 

3 minutes ago, LazyLand said:

we will need to accept that in the near future, pcs will die

Whoa whoa, near future? And for another thing, your reasoning leaves much to be desired

due to the much lower power consumption chips we will use. There will be no need for pcs anymore, only laptops and mini pcs like the mac mini.

When 10th gen Pascal GPUs rolled around and Nvidia started dropping desktop class graphics performance into laptops left and right, were people writing the obituaries of the gaming desktop? I don't think so.

If something is going to kill desktop PC gaming, it definitely isn't power efficiency.

Just now, LazyLand said:

That's the whole point, once we move to low enough chips with small enough transistors not even a high end gaming machine will be big.. At some point it will happen, dening it is false. 

We don't even know if current computing technology is capable of passing that boundary.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I see one possible flaw with this:

AMD, Intel, and Nvidia will probably make chips for people to build with. Without PC building, they won't make as much.

True, so they will be more focused on chips for laptops and very small form factor PCs, like a laptop without all the "laptop" stuff. 

The PC market will not shrivel up and die with introduction of ARM, it will adapt to be inclusive of new technologies if there is sufficient demand.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Whoa whoa, near future? And for another thing, your reasoning leaves much to be desired

When 10th gen Pascal GPUs rolled around and Nvidia started dropping desktop class graphics performance into laptops left and right, were people writing the obituaries of the gaming desktop? I don't think so.

If something is going to kill desktop PC gaming, it definitely isn't power efficiency.

Look, I'm not saying 3 years, but sooner or later.. it's going to happen. My bet is 25 years max, so I asked u guys that's all 

Just now, LazyLand said:

Look, I'm not saying 3 years, but sooner or later.. it's going to happen. My bet is 25 years max, so I asked u guys that's all 

We've got new computing technology on the horizon, look at quantum. Do you think quantum can manage to develop and shrink into mobile-only relevance in 25 years? What about if we discover yet another method of computation that required a new technology?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

We've got new computing technology on the horizon, look at quantum. Do you think quantum can manage to develop and shrink into mobile-only relevance in 25 years? What about if we discover yet another method of computation that required a new technology?

Ok, chill for a moment dude. I didn't say all servers and supercomputers will be mobile. I said pcs, I meant mainly gaming pcs or editing pcs or anything not super computer or very high end servers. 

Truth is that 90% of people don't need PC performance anymore, they are fine on a tablet, maybe a SOC with a screen and keyboard, whether that is a Mac book or a mini PC. 

But in general we are many decades away from that. Servers still need HUGE amounts of space for storage and processing power.

When processing power will cover all or needs (as humanity) on a server that fits in a desk, then pc will die

2 minutes ago, LazyLand said:

Ok, chill for a moment dude. I didn't say all servers and supercomputers will be mobile. I said pcs, I meant mainly gaming pcs or editing pcs or anything not super computer or very high end servers. 

But then why wouldn't server level performance move down to the desktop? Why wouldn't gaming performance scale up to that level of hardware? And why wouldn't a new high level of computing power end up in that enterprise server space?

If a certain level of computer performance can be put on your desk and used by a standard user, games will be programmed to run like that. Efficiency would never be a reason for gaming desktops to die, it's all about the programming. Game developers would have to exclusively target games running well on those small, more efficient machines and leave out the potential that the more power hungry systems can use.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

Truth is that 90% of people don't need PC performance anymore, they are fine on a tablet, maybe a SOC with a screen and keyboard, whether that is a Mac book or a mini PC. 

But in general we are many decades away from that. Servers still need HUGE amounts of space for storage and processing power.

When processing power will cover all or needs (as humanity) on a server that fits in a desk, then pc will die

I meant any editing pc or gaming pc, not including any huge servers or super computers.. 

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

But then why wouldn't server level performance move down to the desktop? Why wouldn't gaming performance scale up to that level of hardware? And why wouldn't a new high level of computing power end up in that enterprise server space?

If a certain level of computer performance can be put on your desk and used by a standard user, games will be programmed to run like that. Efficiency would never be a reason for gaming desktops to die, it's all about the programming. Game developers would have to exclusively target games running well on those small, more efficient machines and leave out the potential that the more power hungry systems can use.

Honestly I'm too tired to give you a real reply

I'll locate you in 25 years and we will see how a high end gaming pc will look. Cya in 25 years  

Just now, LazyLand said:

Honestly I'm too tired to give you a real reply

I'll locate you in 25 years and we will see how a high end gaming pc will look. Cya in 25 years  

Too tired? 

image.png.4490d4e60b38d8854437905d451e1b45.png

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Too tired? 

image.png.4490d4e60b38d8854437905d451e1b45.png

I just asked when pcs will die and I am getting 5 people attacking my ass because they don't wanna believe it will happen. Again, I am talking about a consumer level gaming or editing machine. You are trying too much.. I agree that we will not have mobile servers yet by that time and we will still have big servers but you are trying to deny the fact that at some point we won't have consumer pcs anymore mate

6 minutes ago, LazyLand said:

I meant any editing pc or gaming pc, not including any huge servers or super computers.. 

Look. 

The servers are computers that do what users do in a bigger form factor, so when you have needs, like all rendering tasks, you will have PCs.

But I d be really surprised if in 10 years from now we still have big GPU and cases.

I think system on chip will be a thing for 99% of people. 

If you will have everything on bluetooth, you will probably see a screen on a power cable, a SoC inside it, a mouse and keyboard wireless (I know that is an iMac)

I think home PC won't die for quite a while

People will find ways to utilise what we have

Just four years ago, 8gb of RAM and quad core was a high end gaming pc, now it's laughable since AMD introduced more cores

Right now we have so many softwares that can hardly run well on current hardware, so I can't see it going away anytime soon

Casual compute may be able to be done on mobile phone, but gaming and heavy tasks, like video editing, I can't see it happening yet

2 minutes ago, LazyLand said:

I am getting 5 people attacking my ass

No we aren't attacking, we're presenting counterpoints

None of it seemed malicious to me, maybe you need to take a deep breathe and view at it from a neutral standpoint

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I just asked when pcs will die and I am getting 5 people attacking my ass because they don't wanna believe it will happen. Again, I am talking about a consumer level gaming or editing machine. You are trying too much.. I agree that we will not have mobile servers yet by that time and we will still have big servers but you are trying to deny the fact that at some point we won't have consumer pcs anymore mate

I don't think desktops are eternal, I just think that your reasoning for why they would die out isn't quite right. Also an endcap of only 25 years really seems too short, especially considering the recent growth of the PC space in general.

Primary PC:

21 minutes ago, LazyLand said:

EDIT: I MEANT GAMING/EDITING PCS, NOT INCLUDING SUPER COMPUTERS OR HUGE SERVERS!

When mobile devices will be powerful enough as desktop computers, the things PCs will be needed to do will take more computing power. More then tablets.

When mobile devices catch up to a PC today at the same price, people will start doing more demanding things because it's easier to do because it's more accessible.

For example, if all 8K editing was a $750 computer, more people would use it, and people that spend more money on computers would start using more robust resolutions, because they can. Then mobile devices will not be fast enough to replace computers.

This paradox will go on for a long time, at least until @Den-Fi realizes 16K is about as good as 18K.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I think home PC won't die for quite a while

People will find ways to utilise what we have

Just four years ago, 8gb of RAM and quad core was a high end gaming pc, now it's laughable since AMD introduced more cores

Right now we have so many softwares that can hardly run well on current hardware, so I can't see it going away anytime soon

Casual compute may be able to be done on mobile phone, but gaming and heavy tasks, like video editing, I can't see it happening yet

No we aren't attacking, we're presenting counterpoints

None of it seemed malicious to me, maybe you need to take a deep breathe and view at it from a neutral standpoint

ok fine, not attacking

by mobile ofcors I meant laptops or mac mini like, not phones. I just think that we will probably have low enough power consumption chips by 2045 and there will be no need or even an option for a dekstop

2 minutes ago, wall03 said:

This paradox will go on for a long time, at least until @Den-Fi realizes 16K is about as good as 18K.

I don't know what this means.

I hate hig res monitors lol.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

I don't know what this means.

I hate hig res monitors lol.

I was talking about editing videos/photos in a large pixel density such as 16K

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

4 minutes ago, wall03 said:

I was talking about editing videos/photos in a large pixel density such as 16K

Ah, yes.

As far as the thread goes, yeah. We'll see lots of people go from PCs to appliances that perform similar functions. The amount of people that have replaced PCs with phones and iPads is growing by the day. The PC market is shrinking and companies are moving to cloud and enterprise focuses. So what OP is saying is imminent. I just don't think it will entirely kill off PCs, and no time soon.