Neat drive carrier thing I found on Amazon

So I had this thing advertised to me and I was fascinated by it. 

It's a hot swappable NVMe drive carrier on a PCIe card

It gives you swappable drive bays like what you'd get in a dedicated NAS or server chassis. 

I don't know if this is weird or interesting to anyone else, but I've never seen anything like it. I could see it having some pretty unique utility. 

Just thought it was cool and figured I'd share it. 

Interesting.

This is pretty much what U.2 was designed for, so servers could have hotswappable PCIe storage.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Icy Dock makes really cool stuff like this, and REALLY GOOD stuff.

Downside:  your motherboard needs PCIE Bifurcation to run it, which is /not/ the most common feature in normal boards.

7 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Icy Dock makes really cool stuff like this, and REALLY GOOD stuff.

Downside:  your motherboard needs PCIE Bifurcation to run it, which is /not/ the most common feature in normal boards.

Yeah I saw where it said that bifurcation was needed, but starting a new build with that in mind, it shouldn't be too hard to find a motherboard that has it.

Sucks if you have an existing system that doesn't though. 

Good to know they make good stuff. I might have to check them out. 

27 minutes ago, Bfuqua said:

Yeah I saw where it said that bifurcation was needed, but starting a new build with that in mind, it shouldn't be too hard to find a motherboard that has it.

Problem is, its usually only on the top PCIe slot where you normally have a GPU.

I found a really nice adapter on Amazon that has 2xNVMe slots and then passes through an 8x so you can also use a half-height card on it at the same time.  Of course I then realised the motherboard in my server doesn't support bifurcation.

A lot of the boards that DO support bifurcation, have it hard-wired to another x16 slot on the board itself, rather than letting you split the top slot with an adapter.  They're also the expensive top-end boards.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7