AMD quietly removes mountain bikes from store after health risks found in Gamers Nexus review

Vishera

Summary

After Steve Burke from Gamers Nexus criticized AMD's "AMD Custom Mountain Bike" for it's price,cheap quality and health hazards,AMD quietly removed the product page from it's store.

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEZCNACELwBSFXyq4

Spoiler

amd-black-mtb__67107.1597682676.jpg?c=1

My thoughts

I think that those bikes should be recalled since their quality is so cheap that in Steve's review the frame of the bike cracked under use - posing a major risk to the rider and the bike's integrity.

Quietly removing the bike from the store without informing customers of the dangerous product they bought and hiding it from the media is disgusting and shady.

Sources

Original product page: https://amdfanstore.com/amd-custom-mountain-bike/

Product page from Google cache:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3bKYtXfYwxIJ:https://amdfanstore.com/amd-custom-mountain-bike/

Gamers Nexus review:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Well according to AMD it sold out, so that's probably a big reason to why it isn't there anymore. Also I doubt a little bit that AMD would do this as a result of the GN video, these bikes are widely known for being really cheap and unsafe for mountain biking, a sticker on the suspension itself or even the manual will probably mention that this bike is unsuitable for actual mountain biking. I'd imagine the bike was chosen by someone with no basic knowledge of bikes to be honest and after feedback they stopped making/ordering any more of them.

Why is this news ?

It's literally weeks old.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Hah i mean it's really cheap. Looks really good, but yeah wouldn't tust it for some mountain biking and jumps. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It's a cheap rebrand. 

Haha, while health risks is technically not wrong, it's not really what you'd say. It'd be safety concerns. Health risks would generally be used for something that can affect you by ingestion or just being around it.

I think AMD should have taken this off the market as soon as they saw Steve's video. They probably don't have anyone that would test it internally (be that because they don't have anyone that rides, or the people there that do ride wouldn't have bothered), and a review like that is pretty damning. He wasn't even riding it that hard.

5 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Well according to AMD it sold out, so that's probably a big reason to why it isn't there anymore. Also I doubt a little bit that AMD would do this as a result of the GN video, these bikes are widely known for being really cheap and unsafe for mountain biking, a sticker on the suspension itself or even the manual will probably mention that this bike is unsuitable for actual mountain biking. I'd imagine the bike was chosen by someone with no basic knowledge of bikes to be honest and after feedback they stopped making/ordering any more of them.

You can't market something as a "mountain bike" and expect people not to use it as such. That's not how that works.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You can't market something as a "mountain bike" and expect people not to use it as such. That's not how that works.

You can, it's been done a long time before this, and is still being done to this day.

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

You can, it's been done a long time before this, and is still being done to this day.

You mean like how car manufacturers market SUVs as off road capable even though they'll ground out almost immediately on any basic trail? Yea... these scumb...

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You mean like how car manufacturers market SUVs as off road capable even though they'll ground out almost immediately on any basic trail? Yea... these scumb...

Well,SUVs can go off-road to some extent so it's not false but rather misleading.

But those bikes just break when used as mountain bikes so that's the main difference,

It's also possible that they break under average use as well considering how little force was required to break them.

I wonder if AMD has a warranty program for those... Probably not 🤭

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Well,SUVs can go off-road to some extent so it's not false but rather misleading.

Almost all cars can go "off-road to some extent", that doesn't make it a good idea

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Almost all cars can go "off-road to some extent", that doesn't make it a good idea

At least they are not marketed as jeeps or mountain bikes :D

That headline is really problematic. While yes, that headline is technically true, it implies that there is a connection to the two events, which there isn't evidence for.

Actually, the headline might actually be wrong, its entirely possible it wasn't "removed", they could have just sold out.

I saw the GN video, pretty damning, as well as the following news video shortly after where Steve mentioned it had been pulled from the AMD store. So no, it's not a coincidence AMD removed this bike from their store. In fact, it should never have been there in the first place, firstly for being inherently unsafe, but also given the damage the AMD brand now has endured by putting up this utter cr@p. Remember, Steve exposed the greed by "upmarketing" a basic, cheap $150 Walmart bike by adding some AMD branding and selling at premium prices ($350-400 IIRC). Unless AMD redeems themselves PDQ by offering a decent, real mountain-bike for not a lot more then normal MSRP of the same, but non-AMD-branded model, Intel will make sure the web won't forget AMD's bad lack of judgement. 🙄

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 minute ago, Dutch_Master said:

I saw the GN video, pretty damning, as well as the following news video shortly after where Steve mentioned it had been pulled from the AMD store. So no, it's not a coincidence AMD removed this bike from their store. In fact, it should never have been there in the first place, firstly for being inherently unsafe, but also given the damage the AMD brand now has endured by putting up this utter cr@p. Remember, Steve exposed the greed by "upmarketing" a basic, cheap $150 Walmart bike by adding some AMD branding and selling at premium prices ($350-400 IIRC). Unless AMD redeems themselves PDQ by offering a decent, real mountain-bike for not a lot more then normal MSRP of the same, but non-AMD-branded model, Intel will make sure the web won't forget AMD's bad lack of judgement. 🙄

Seems like AMD didn't know that bikes need quality assurance and proper components for the intended use - just like a noob that picks the most beautiful cheap PC only to find out it's painfully slow.

It is a rebrand from a common OEM of bikes for other companies and stores (such as Walmart and Target).  To say they can't be sold is ridiculous.  To say they aren't safe depends entirely on level of use.  If you're average Joe getting something to go back and forth to work on the side of the road or sidewalk with, this will be fine so long as you make sure the chain stays on…which is unfortunately par for the course on most bikes that aren't either a boutique/custom build or a major name like Specialized.

Been there, done that.  I road stuff like that hard for a long time when I was younger, because I couldn't afford better.  I bent or snapped multiple bikes (forks, frames, seat posts, handlebars, and even cracked a bottom bracket) from trail riding and hitting some fairly tame jumps.  Once I could buy a real bike (low end Specialized), I started doing things like cliff drops and more extreme riding…that held up perfectly until it was stolen 15ish years later.  Now I don't ride extreme anymore, though I have the bikes to properly handle doing so.

I recall GNSteve musing about the possibility that that the only reason the bike was even put up for sale in the first place was specifically to kill him.  If that failed there would be little reason to keep it on sale. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I’ve stopped listening to GN ever since that guy lectured people on “consumerism” when people were upset about bots+scalpers getting all of the Nvidia 3000 series cards. He lectured them on consumerism mentality AFTER an entire month of hyping the product. Just wow.

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, while health risks is technically not wrong, it's not really what you'd say. It'd be safety concerns. Health risks would generally be used for something that can affect you by ingestion or just being around it.

I think AMD should have taken this off the market as soon as they saw Steve's video. They probably don't have anyone that would test it internally (be that because they don't have anyone that rides, or the people there that do ride wouldn't have bothered), and a review like that is pretty damning. He wasn't even riding it that hard.

Hmmm, are bulldozer cpu's only for heavy equipment use? 😜

Tho in all honesty, Steve doesn't seem like average user. Him doing downhills, most usual mountain bikes would go bad eventually.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Tho in all honesty, Steve doesn't seem like average user. Him doing downhills, most usual mountain bikes would go bad eventually.

Reminder though that this was a 100 dollar bike being upsold as a 350 dollar bike. Few bad products only bad prices. 

At the 350 dollar range it's an absolute travesty. All for a (really low quality) sticker.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Reminder though that this was a 100 dollar bike being upsold as a 350 dollar bike. Few bad products only bad prices. 

At the 350 dollar range it's an absolute travesty. All for a (really low quality) sticker.

Is 350 bucks suppose to be a lot? Mine was 1200€ and while it's electric hybrid, it's nothing special as is. Electric components probably for around 400€ out of the total price My dad bought a regular one, a bit upmarket one, but ultimately nothing too fancy. Aluminium frame, hydraulic disc brakes front and back, Deore XT shifters and it was around 1000€ too. If you want anything half decent you're instantly in the 4 digits zone. Anything less is very much questionable. For regular use on roads and gravel, sure it'll be fine. For anything a bit more abusive, I wouldn't trust anything below this. Everyone upsells stuff like crazy...

22 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Is 350 bucks suppose to be a lot? Mine was 1200€ and while it's electric hybrid, it's nothing special as is. Electric components probably for around 400€ out of the total price My dad bought a regular one, a bit upmarket one, but ultimately nothing too fancy. Aluminium frame, hydraulic disc brakes front and back, Deore XT shifters and it was around 1000€ too. If you want anything half decent you're instantly in the 4 digits zone. Anything less is very much questionable. For regular use on roads and gravel, sure it'll be fine. For anything a bit more abusive, I wouldn't trust anything below this. Everyone upsells stuff like crazy...

*has a brazed chrome molly steel frame and clamp brakes.  Still gets to the store*

”decent” is pretty use dependent.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I have a canyon spectral similarly that was around 1700 dollars, but yes. When in the US you walk into Walmart and buy a bike for 100 dollars, and AMD wants to sell the same bike (with probably even less QC work) for 3.5x the price we should call them out on it. (In normal times) you can get ludicrously better and safer bikes for this price point new (ignoring used).

Yes upselling isn't uncommon, but I think that isn't an excuse to not call it out. If AMD can't do the work to make the bike even remotely safe (it wasn't safe for road riding even before they brought it into a shop), they shouldn't be selling the things.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS