Copyrigh-ting AdoredTV

TheLibrarian

I was watching AdoredTVs video "You're being mislead" and he claims that the video (27 minutes) was manually claimed by LTT for one minute content of Linus comparing GPUs.

I don't want to spur "YT Drama" but it feels like something that would be called in bird culture as a dick move.

Who? /s

Edited by Mateyyy

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Who?

Is this Among us refence? If not I don't get it.

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Who?

A rather prominent Youtuber who keeps harping on how Team Red is better than team blue and team green.

Yes he is noisy, but he had a good run with rather accurate leaks and predictions and has become a good source imho, despite the very distracting accent.

3 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

You can't start drama on your own accord then complain when someone fights back. That's all I'll say.

So you are suggesting that ATV is trying to start some drama? 

"Fighting back" is using the copyright claim? WTH 

17 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Who?

AdoredTV is a tech youtuber who provides commentary on news, rumours and gossip.

Here's the video in question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s23GvbQfyLA

The video uses approximately 1 minute of LTT footage 12:50 - 13:55

Additional 11 seconds of LTT footage used at 23:09 - 23:20

There's a pinned comment made by AdoredTV about LTT claiming his video.

Just to note that Linus is receiving the money for this video, not me, after his group claimed copyright due to the ~1 minute of his video used.

Also note that this was decided after a manual check - so it's not YouTube's automated system doing it.

"After a manual review, a copyright owner has claimed some material in your video.

Your video is live and the visibility settings you selected remain applied to it. But it is now either being monetized by the copyright owner, or they have chosen to receive analytics about it.

This is not a copyright strike. This claim does not affect your account status.

Video title: You're Being Misled Copyrighted content:
Making Nvidia’s CEO mad - RTX 3090 Review
Claimed by: Fullscreen, Inc. "

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2fdf044485541968c5e621857e3f71c3.png

Edited by Spotty
Added more tiemstamps

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

AdoredTV is a tech youtuber who provides commentary on news, rumours and gossip.

Here's the video in question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s23GvbQfyLA

The video uses approximately 1 minute of LTT footage 12:50 - 13:55

There's a pinned comment made by AdoredTV about LTT claiming his video.

I was here to say exactly the same thing. 

As far as I can tell Fullscreen INC seems to be an entity owned by AT&T, not linus. (google search)

Just now, zbiggie said:

As far as I can tell Fullscreen INC seems to be an entity owned by AT&T, not linus. (google search)

Fullscreen is the MCN (Multi Channel Network) that represents LTT. They handle the copyright claims and such on behalf of LMG.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 minutes ago, Fedaykyn said:

A rather prominent Youtuber who keeps harping on how Team Red is better than team blue and team green.

Yes he is noisy, but he had a good run with rather accurate leaks and predictions and has become a good source imho, despite the very distracting accent.

Most of their leaks and predictions turn out wrong, they were wrong on a majority of the Zen 3 "leaks" and I couldn't trust a youtuber that has an obvious bias for one team over the other.

5 minutes ago, TheLibrarian said:

So you are suggesting that ATV is trying to start some drama? 

"Fighting back" is using the copyright claim? WTH 

There is always some drama that comes from their "leaks" and gossip content.

Eh, I don't see a lot to get upset about here. A YouTuber who survives off of controversy and drama tried to create controversy and drama while using someone else's content without permission, and they saw the consequences. How would you feel if someone used a minute of a film you made or music you wrote without permission? 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

My previous understanding based on a prior LTT video was that LTT has to claim videos by default for some legal reasons, but you can contest it and get the revenue back and the release of the copyright.

I would like to remind everyone that the ltt channel is apart of a CCN or whatever (fullscreen iirc). Something like this has happened before in regards to the heaven benchmark, and that was due to fullscreen. Interesting to note that the techquickie channel had some videos claimed because of that. 

I do not believe that Linus, or any other account managers (Colton, Nick) would due such a thing maliciously. There is nothing in their history which would suggest this. 

Anyways, @LinusTech @CPotter @nicklmg @JonoT comment?

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

31 minutes ago, TheLibrarian said:

claimed by LTT for one minute content of Linus comparing GPUs.

One minute is a lot of footage,the question is if Adored TV's use of that part is fair use or not..

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

26 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Most of their leaks and predictions turn out wrong, they were wrong on a majority of the Zen 3 "leaks" and I couldn't trust a youtuber that has an obvious bias for one team over the other.

There is always some drama that comes from their "leaks" and gossip content.

This while Linus is buddy buddy with Jensen makes for one gigantic oof. And yes, while this certainly is milking the drama I hardly think that a copyright strike is the correct or any way to hamper the creation of even more drama.

Most likely the MCN doing that without even asking LMG about it. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Having not watched any of the AdoreTV stuff, but in practice, generally only using a SMALL portion of another tubers videos is considered fair game/fair use. Its not like he used the entire video here, just a small 1 min segment on whatever it was that he was talking about that made it relevant. 

I can almost undoubtedly say that LMG itself did not do this, but Fullscreen did it because its what they're paid to do. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

just a small 1 min segment on whatever it was that he was talking about that made it relevant. 

One minute is not small, maybe 10 seconds is

Update: Just saw the said part of the video,There is a case here.

But it's on the fence,Adored TV brought that part to prove a point,but in the process included 1 minute of footage from LTT as is without any editing,commentary or as news.

Is what Adored TV did with the footage transformative? - That's debatable.

Since copyright law can get very complicated - Legal action is very expensive.

My recommmendation:

Next time Adored TV should quote Linus's words and reference to the source instead of bringing up 1 minute of unedited footage.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

This happens everytime, Linus's response is gonna be the same as every time, it's not Linus or his staff that does this, just appeal it, it'll probably get sorted by Linus and team.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Most likely the MCN doing that without even asking LMG about it. 

They probably have automatic bot scanners to compare LTT content to everyone uploading videos. Its a business.

12 minutes ago, Fedaykyn said:

This while Linus is buddy buddy with Jensen makes for one gigantic oof.

Idk what you mean by that

12 minutes ago, Fedaykyn said:

And yes, while this certainly is milking the drama I hardly think that a copyright strike is the correct or any way to hamper the creation of even more drama.

I would have to guess Fullscreen automatically flags content, and the content owner doesn't get notified of flagged content. The content owner not being notified makes no sense, although notifying content owners of every flagged video would probably add a lot of work.

Just had a look.

Fair use is about commenting the content you use. This is not what's done here, he's using LTT's footage as an illustration for his point instead of himself doing the research work.

When you want to do that you license the footage.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

28 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

I do not believe that Linus, or any other account managers (Colton, Nick) would due such a thing maliciously.

Protecting your intellectual property is not something you do "maliciously". It's just a normal part of business and especially so when your business is creative works (videos). I'm sure if AdoredTV's content was reuploaded to other channels (in full or in part) he would take reasonable steps to protect his copyrighted content.

Though, there are times where Youtube's copyright system is misused and abused, such as when The Verge issued a Copyright Strike to Bitwit over the build video.

A Copyright Strike is the result of a DMCA takedown notice which will pull the video down and cause a "strike" on the youtubers channel which will restrict their ability to use certain features (such as livestream) and can even result in their youtube channel being deleted!

What has happened in this situation with AdoredTV/LTT is a Copyright Claim, which is where LTT (or Fullscreen on their behalf) is claiming that the video is using LTTs copyrighted content (video) without their permission and LTT are claiming ad revenue on AdoredTV's video. By issuing the Copyright Claim LTT can enable ads on the video and claim the ad revenue from the video. Unlike a Copyright Strike there's no penalty to the channel other than the loss of youtube ad revenue on that particular video and no threat of their youtube channel being deleted. Copyright claims can be issued automatically when Youtube detects another video using your content. They can also be manually issued (typically after Youtube flags the video and it is reviewed).

AdoredTV has a few options in response to a Copyright Claim.

• He can ignore it and allow LTT to claim the ad revenue.
  • He can dispute the copyright claim.
  • He can edit the video within youtube to remove the portion of the video which infringes on LTTs copyrighted content.
  • He can remove the video from youtube

In future AdoredTV could also contact LinusMediaGroup beforehand to request permission to use a portion of their video, which could have avoided this mess in the first place. LTT's business email is in the About section on the LTT youtube channel, easy enough to find if he needed to contact them for permission. Even if LTT did not grant AdoredTV permission to use their content then AdoredTV would have known not to include it in the video.

Edited by Spotty