Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
On 9/13/2020 at 7:56 PM, Commodus said:

You're definitely not the only one. Mayo is big in Quebec, and my South African partner puts mayo on fries, burgers, breaded fish... ketchup may be more of a regional preference than you think.

I'm Dutch. Over here mayo is the default option to the point where you could order "fries with" and have any snackbar employee in the country understand that you want fries with mayo.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:30 PM, Commodus said:

This makes me scratch my head a bit. Isn't switching entire devices considerably more inconvenient than switching apps? And you can listen to locally-stored non-Spotify tracks on your phone, right? You can also set a Do Not Disturb mode or otherwise shut off notifications if you want an uninterrupted experience.

It's quite alright to like an MP3 player, but it sounds like you like it for the focus of a separate physical device, not so much that you can't replicate its experience on a phone.

tbh, back in the before times when I could still go to the gym it was much easier to just have my ipod (I had a nano with watch band with me so that I didn't run the risk of my phone falling out of my pockets since pockets on men's sportswear often seems more like a suggestion than an actual pocket. I never had to switch devices since it was just always in my gym bag next to my access pass.

I guess that doesn't make it "necessary" per se, but with a lot of functions that my phone has, I can find some use case where a dedicated device would be preferable.

3 hours ago, EldritchMoose said:

tbh, back in the before times when I could still go to the gym it was much easier to just have my ipod (I had a nano with watch band with me so that I didn't run the risk of my phone falling out of my pockets since pockets on men's sportswear often seems more like a suggestion than an actual pocket. I never had to switch devices since it was just always in my gym bag next to my access pass.

I guess that doesn't make it "necessary" per se, but with a lot of functions that my phone has, I can find some use case where a dedicated device would be preferable.

In a situation like that, I'd rather roll with a smartwatch (which is nearly the case with that iPod nano/watch band combo). If you have Bluetooth earbuds handy, anyway... although frankly it's increasingly hard to imagine using wired buds during a workout. It's just too easy to get caught up in the cabling during some routines.

The best configuration for a web browser is to open with a blank page, unless it will be used for accessing only one page the vast majority of the time.

The time it will cost you in typing web addresses is negligible compared to the about of time saved in not reading random things on impulse because you spotted them on the homepage.

Worst for this are the likes of the Edge default homepage, which are full of news and advertising and sometimes autoplaying videos designed to make you click. (Incidentally because Microsoft is Microsoft, it's actually considered an "Advanced" feature to turn that OFF!! And even if you do turn it off, you're still stuck with the search bar and some of the links).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

• 2 weeks later...

heavy mouses are still great.

my daily mouse is a Corsair M65 Pro

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 3/20/2021 at 4:53 PM, EjectedCasings said:

Maybe, but I'm too lazy to learn a new OS. Windows is more widely used and supports more things in general as well.

winders 4 lyfe

it supports, blowing up my stress tests at 5.1ghz before my pc blue screens

On 3/12/2021 at 4:46 PM, captain_to_fire said:

macOS for many reasons, is just better than Windows

I agree. For me, it's mainly the aesthetics, the excellent built-in software (iMovie, Pages, GarageBand), and the integration with iOS devices (which I own). I use Windows for gaming and because I like building PCs, but macOS is definitely better. Excited to try an M1 device. 

2 minutes ago, Kylan275 said:

I agree. For me, it's mainly the aesthetics, the excellent built-in software (iMovie, Pages, GarageBand), and the integration with iOS devices (which I own). I use Windows for gaming and because I like building PCs, but macOS is definitely better. Excited to try an M1 device. 

I am getting conflicting information about M1 myself.  Some have claimed some but not all PC apps will just run on it, others have said this is not true and it applies only to Mac apps that were designed for x86 machines.  I’m not sure which is correct.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Don't drive motorbikes.

I mean, into an accident and the car wins.

Making you take shortcuts... that are based on chance.

Or just avoid any other cars on the road, so you don't have to deal with it.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I am getting conflicting information about M1 myself.  Some have claimed some but not all PC apps will just run on it, others have said this is not true and it applies only to Mac apps that were designed for x86 machines.  I’m not sure which is correct.

I wouldn't get an M1 Mac for Windows VMs... certainly not Boot Camp. But x86 Mac apps will almost always run, and if they don't it's usually because they're highly dependent on x86 architecture (say, a developer tool or a VM app that hasn't been updated).

Avocado is extremely overrated.  They don't have a lot of flavor, and I am tired of people thinking they are sophisticated for putting a slice of it on toast/sandwiches.  It is basically just hipster butter. 

2 hours ago, OrangeSunshine said:

Avocado is extremely overrated.  They don't have a lot of flavor, and I am tired of people thinking they are sophisticated for putting a slice of it on toast/sandwiches.  It is basically just hipster butter. 

only its a lot of fat, it has useful features. but often a lot of waste and is a bit like moldy green blood gold instead of bloody diamonds.

Bananas are still king, so long they are not killed by demand.

Netflix is really fair priced.

The people raging over the increases or the crackdown on shared accounts are bonkers.

Bonus bonkers if y'all ordering $3 coffees.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 hours ago, OrangeSunshine said:

I'll second that and go so far as to say they taste terrible. I get it's healthy, but that's all it has going for it

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Bing news pulls up a good range of news topics. They are poorly optimized with the results once you hit the news card, but the actual choice of stories has a good variety going from the obvious world and politics to celebrities to weird stuff that's fun to read

Bing page/Windows lock screen also has some great backgrounds

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

22 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

The people raging over the increases or the crackdown on shared accounts are bonkers.

Fair price can be fair, when and how they increase it might cause an annoyance. More so if platforms that wants to get subscriptions all did increases without you knowing. (not really an netflix issue)

But that is more of an issue with subscriptions in general, and how many more there are, in the ways it might be used or abused.

Not so sure about netflix, shared accounts... depends, there can be a lot of limits behind that and new ways to make streaming a pain for everyone. Like how do you know what device, which person is watching on what, what are the limits and so on. If you are traveling short or long term and didn't bring your device... so now the streaming service is useless and might have to pay more? Will be interesting to see how it goes, but would think there are some annoyances brough with them to streaming in general. Also how people might find this to get closer or can get worse than cable for your TV. If cable TV will return as another option again or if they start combining with streaming services?

31 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Bonus bonkers if y'all ordering $3 coffees.

I think $19 a month for 4 streams is a bit steep. Personally I think they need to separate out the UHD from the 4 stream option and make HD options with 4 streams for a bit cheaper. It would also be cool if they did the same thing HBO did an do semi and annual subs at a slightly cheaper price. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Some "high-end" cars can be good financial decisions.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

This is from anecdotal experience tbf, but here it goes, I'm also using these unpopular opinions to vent some. 

Most people who buy Playstation don't care about Sony published games.  Most of my friends might play Ghost of Tsushima or God of War cause I gush about them a lot, but most don't care to play a lot of Sony's titles or outright skip them. It's just the platform they grew up with and they stick with it.  As a result, while Sony's exclusives sell well, their outlook is skewed to think their audience only cares about western titles and third-person, over the shoulder games. 

Sony has (had), a diverse and unique set of IPs that could rival Nintendo.  Jim Ryan came in and decided to hyper focus on the the western market, and close down Japan Studio.  The only IP they have so far confirmed to have save is Astro Bot.  Sony now has a lot of third person, over the shoulder games.  And that's fine.  God of War is my second favorite Sony title ever.  I loved God of War on PS4.  That first boss fight (and you know which one I'm talking about it if you played it), is one of my favorite moments from the 8th gen.  I loved Ghost of Tsushima, even if you want to be as basic as possible and go, "it's just Sony making an Assassins Creed."  That's fine.  You don't always need to reinvent the wheel with your games, some games just need to be a lot of fun.  But Japan Studio, imo, was always that "experimental, try new things." side of Sony that rivaled Nintendo on that front. 

• Loco Roco on the PSP, fun little platformer that uses physics and the shoulder button for platforming, and it works surprisingly well and is a lot of fun.  I recommend trying it before the PSP store closes.  
  • Gravity Rush on the PS Vita.  It's rough compared to 2, but it's a proof of concept and does a lot for 3D platformers, it adds a new plane to play on.
  • Gravity Rush 2 also, on the PS4, it perfected what Gravity Rush on the Vita did.
  • The Hot Shot's Golf series.  It's golf sure, but it has that Nintendo, "it's just fun," charm to it, while not being Nintendo.  Hot Shot's Golf on vita even allows you to play as other Sony characters, including Kat from Gravity Rush.  

Maybe I'm biased cause Gravity Rush 2 is my favorite PS4 game, but I'll use Gravity Rush as an example. (And this goes into a 2nd unpopular opinion in this).  Yes Gravity Rush 1 and 2 are listed as action adventure games, and they are.  But they're also platformers, and until now, Sony couldn't make an actual good feeling platformer, or great one IMO (For the most part).  Sly Cooper was fun yes, but the rest from Sony always didn't feel... tight enough... to me.  Nothing got the tightness, controls, and polish that Nintendo has with platformers, hell even Microsoft nowadays has.  Then along came Gravity Rush, and Sony finally did it, they made a good platformer.

Now before people come in here and tell me how I dare I shit on Sony for this, or dislike Jim Ryan, or I have no idea what I'm talking about.  I grew up with both Playstation and Nintendo.

I had a PS2, a PSP, a PS3.  I later got a PS4 and PS Vita.

My PS3 collection is one of my largest collections.  
I have always liked Sony's games.  It just sucks cause moving forward we aren't going to get all the cool Sony games we used to get.  It feels that way even more now with Jim Ryan in charge, him hating anything older than 2017, hating Japan Studio, hating the PS3, PSP, and Vita (and even closing their stores all this year).  Hell he's so shitty that Sony didn't even give devs forewarning.  There's still people making games for the Vita, and some have gone on Twitter and announced they never got a warning from Sony about this.

Hell one dev even said they got a dev kit for the Vita from Sony just a month ago.

I just feel like Jim Ryan is taking Sony in a not good direction.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

Most people who buy Playstation don't care about Sony published games.

your not wrong.

I grew up with both Playstation and Nintendo.

me too

I have a Wii,DS,PS2, PS4 and PC

I just feel like Jim Ryan is taking Sony in a not good direction.

american versions of games are always nerfed by groups that don't understand.

Now before people come in here and tell me how I dare I shit on Sony for this

I hate HP and Acer

But I still have a acer laptop and acer monitor

also HP pc so....

hating Japan Studio

cause americans never liked foreign products.

But foreign product and companies keep up alot of thing in the us

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 minutes ago, sub68 said:

me too

I grew up with both Playstation and Nintendo.

God I'm old, I grew up when Sega was competing against Nintendo ... I was an adult when the PS1 came out ...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

God I'm old, I grew up when Sega was competing against Nintendo ... I was an adult when the PS1 came out ...

Oh my gosh........

You remind me of noriyario.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

8 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Oh my gosh........

8 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Oh my gosh........

Meh.  Just a baby.  My first console was pong.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I original had an N64 tbf, my first game was Super Mario 64. 

12 minutes ago, sub68 said:

I hate HP and Acer

But I still have a acer laptop and acer monitor

also HP pc so....

That wasn't my point, but sure.  

me too

I have..

Spoiler

NES, SNES, N64, 2 Wiis, Wii U, 2 switches, a GBP, Virtual Boy, 2 GBAs, GBA SP, 3 DSes, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 2DS, N3DS, N2DS XL, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP 2000, phat Vita, 2 slim Vitas, Sega Game Gear, Xbox 360 E, Xbox One S. 

american versions of games are always nerfed by groups that don't understand.

That's a generalization I wasn't trying to make, I like a lot of American games.  Halo matches Star Wars in lore imo... it's just Sony had more experimental games besides their big blockbuster AAA titles.

cause americans never liked foreign products.

But foreign product and companies keep up alot of thing in the us

I mean, the Switch and PS4 both sold/selling like hotcakes so like??

They keep it here cause things sell here. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.