steam missing file privilages

Go to solution Solved by cerealsneaky,

OK so ive fixed it. Basically what you need to do is steam app properties-security-under group or users there is a button that says edit-click add-its highlighted in blue click select principal-advanced-find now- everyone (double click)- Click OK- make sure all the tick boxes are clicked (or just give full control)-Click OK- reboot steam. This is the way i did it and it worked!

So I am the admin of the pc I am on, and every time I try and save to the D: drive, it fails, but for whatever reason, the C: drive allows me to download (this would be a temp fix, but its actually my boot drive and has very little space on it). I have tried to update the security profiles already in Windows and set Steam to always in admin mode (which has worked for downloading things before but now has stopped working). I am running out ideas. I have tested to see if i can write data to that drive as well by just saving a few words docs and its fine and i am also able to read data, open word docs and play games. I am just not sure what i should do next. Can someone give me a direction?

image.png.94ee4eedf0bc0a69ea755a990ec64c84.png

If that drive was moved from another machine right click on the drive, go to security tab, advanced, make your account the owner of the drive and all children.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

21 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

If that drive was moved from another machine right click on the drive, go to security tab, advanced, make your account the owner of the drive and all children.

tried that and no chanages, even tried the check box at the bottom:

update I tried reinstalling steam by deleting all files apart from steam.exe and the steam apps folder and still no dice 😞

image.png.0cb2d765c9d2fa7458ee4562394a79fc.png

23 minutes ago, cerealsneaky said:

tried that and no chanages, even tried the check box at the bottom:

update I tried reinstalling steam by deleting all files apart from steam.exe and the steam apps folder and still no dice 😞

image.png.0cb2d765c9d2fa7458ee4562394a79fc.png

You fool absolute buffoon check category "applies to" it says on daniel account this folder only which is this folder only not inside the folder.

Try to apply to folder and under it.

Basically you'll need this folder, subfolders and files.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

1 hour ago, cerealsneaky said:

tried that and no chanages, even tried the check box at the bottom

Why did you do it on the steam install folder on C:\ when you said the problem was on the D:\ drive?

image.png.e5c7490bcc6b96df38885b565e9896df.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Why did you do it on the steam install folder on C:\ when you said the problem was on the D:\ drive?

image.png.e5c7490bcc6b96df38885b565e9896df.png

me thought that if it was an issue with steam itself a hard reset would maybe help would basically set everything to defaults and if there was something that had gone wrong a fresh install COULD of worked. Also I have a drive is where steam is installed and I am most likely dumb lmao

1 hour ago, BoomerDutch said:

You fool absolute buffoon check category "applies to" it says on daniel account this folder only which is this folder only not inside the folder.

Try to apply to folder and under it.

Basically you'll need this folder, subfolders and files.

im sorry i am confused

EDIT: i do now lol i am massive dumb and i am still getting the same message.image.thumb.png.91961cea8881ff3bfeba7e88911ba73b.png

30 minutes ago, cerealsneaky said:

im sorry i am confused

EDIT: i do now lol i am massive dumb and i am still getting the same message.image.thumb.png.91961cea8881ff3bfeba7e88911ba73b.png

Uhh why is there two system accounts.

Maybe that's causing issue?

Anyway try change permissions on D drive entirely since it's second drive you might have better luck that way.

If its still broken then if nothing is important data on D drive consider formatting it then check permission see if its correct.

OK so ive fixed it. Basically what you need to do is steam app properties-security-under group or users there is a button that says edit-click add-its highlighted in blue click select principal-advanced-find now- everyone (double click)- Click OK- make sure all the tick boxes are clicked (or just give full control)-Click OK- reboot steam. This is the way i did it and it worked!

13 minutes ago, cerealsneaky said:

I geuss that's another way to do it.

Well then about two system accounts remains mystery.