Can you see in the near future, the new popular phone company will change?

SHG_Marsh

If that title was confusing, nowadays the Iphone is the popular phone. Most people have Iphones and they live by the apple community. Then there are the android community. Do you think in the future, the new popular phones will be the samsung, the Huawei, etc? The reason I ask this is because I have my phone upgrade in 3 months and I honestly down't know what to get. I currently have the galaxy s9 and galaxy buds (I think second gen) and I was thinking maybe move to iphones because most people have them and its just the popular phone. Also I like how they have many products. But then idk. I like the freedom of android, and thats it. And by making this post in no way am I trying to start a war over which phone/platform is the best because in my opinion, if you like your phone than who gives a damn. 

Just want a little insight/opinions for the future and what platform/phones are you using and why? 

Thanks in advance if you respond. 

I'm on a 6s and won't leave till I lose software support for a year.

I'm going to stay on apple for the better security and things like facetime/imessage.

for most people a 400$ android makes sense. apple is just used as a status symbol

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I have both Android and iOS phones and I have to give it to Apple for constantly supporting their hardware way longer then their Android counter parts.  My old iPhone 6s is running the latest iOS.  I can't say the same with Samsung S6 or other Android phones without rooting and messing around with software that's not official supported or stable.

Though right now the OnePlus 7 Pro is my primary and the iPhone X is my secondary.

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

apple is just used as a status symbol

I 100% agree. And this has weighed in on my decision of what to get because if you have an android its bad camera quality and just a bad phone where as if you have an iphone you are "elite" 

Don't forget the new iPhone SE is only $400 and has the fastest CPU available.  It's even faster then the S20 Ultra.

I think you don't understand, there are already companies that are ahead of apple....

Global Smartphone Market Share: By Quarter - Counterpoint Research

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I think you don't understand, there are already companies that are ahead of apple....

Global Smartphone Market Share: By Quarter - Counterpoint Research

I know but I am just an average highschool teenager that doesn't really care about performance too much. Yes I play a few games on my phone and yes I watch a few movies on my phone but I do want a phone that holds up in 2 years and maybe longer

What was confusing to me is “phone company”!generally means “carrier” rather than “hardware manufacturer”. I do not see android overtaking Apple in the near future for phones.  The problem is Apple is an OEM, and an OS maker.  As such it is able to optimize its software where google cannot.  Samsung in particular tends to have slightly more cutting edge hardware than Apple, but is hampered by google’s software and it’s own drive to have the newest hottest.  Apple focuses on seamless ness and product reliability.  Basically it’s stuff lasts longer, which means either longer usefilul life or higher resale value.  TCO is much lower for Apple than android.  Even a cheap android.  I’m typing this on an iPhone 7+ I bought when they just came out.  It looks and works fine and still has its first battery.  The only reason I would consider a non iPhone is if I couldn’t afford anything else.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, SHG_Marsh said:

I know but I am just an average highschool teenager that doesn't really care about performance too much. Yes I play a few games on my phone and yes I watch a few movies on my phone but I do want a phone that holds up in 2 years and maybe longer

Apple is not the most popular Smartphone (individual or company). Samsung outsells Apple 2:1 most years. Apple is about as popular as a 2nd tier Flagship Android manufacturer (such as Huawei).

I'll tell you my experience:

I find iOS better than Android, as an OS. Both OS's are good though, and have pros and cons.

If you buy a flagship phone from anyone, it'll probably be pretty good. It'll be fast. It'll have good specs.

The benefit of Android is ultra customization, and sometimes cost savings (especially if you go for a non-flagship tier phone - since at the flagship level, Android and iOS aren't much different cost wise).

The benefit of iOS is consistency of experience, and far better long term support of patches, security updates, and OS upgrades. You can pretty much count on any iPhone getting a minimum of 5 years of patches from the time of release before it's EOL.

Most Android manufacturers provide 1 year of updates, at best. Some provide a few years. Very few provide updates beyond 2 years, unless you get into custom ROM's, etc.

Personally I find that the customization that Android offers is simply not enough for me to care about their OS. If that customization is a must-have - then Android might be for you.

Now - the real question: Do I see a future in which Samsung is no longer the most popular phone company? Not really, unless Huawei can steal the crown.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

33 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Apple is not the most popular Smartphone

True, but Apple does sell the most of a given individual model. Makes developer life and software support supper easy. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

True, but Apple does sell the most of a given individual model. Makes developer life and software support supper easy. 

Samsung and Huwai also sell dumb phones and very low end phones so their total numbers go up.  I got a friend with one it doesn’t even run android. It runs a phone specific embedded Linux distro.  Cost him $30new.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sure but now we're changing the metric.

There's no doubt that Apple is very successful, in every meaning of the word. Their profit margins speak for themselves.

But Samsung is still the most popular smartphone company.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

But Samsung is still the most popular smartphone company.

In terms of raw unit sales, yes. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Personally I find that the customization that Android offers is simply not enough for me to care about their OS. If that customization is a must-have - then Android might be for you.

Yea honestly, Android has not been reliable enough for me to really see customization as a worthy trade-off. The people I know who have Android devices don't even use widgets on their home screens, myself included. We just ended up openning the app drawer every time and selecting the app. The only thing I've really customized was the font. 

This fully encapsulates what I feel with a lot of Android devices at the moment:

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, SHG_Marsh said:

Did you quote the wrong post or something?

I said nothing about gaming or performance...

That chart is marketshare, and apple is not #1 or even #2...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, SHG_Marsh said:

If that title was confusing, nowadays the Iphone is the popular phone. Most people have Iphones and they live by the apple community. Then there are the android community. Do you think in the future, the new popular phones will be the samsung, the Huawei, etc? The reason I ask this is because I have my phone upgrade in 3 months and I honestly down't know what to get. I currently have the galaxy s9 and galaxy buds (I think second gen) and I was thinking maybe move to iphones because most people have them and its just the popular phone. Also I like how they have many products. But then idk. I like the freedom of android, and thats it. And by making this post in no way am I trying to start a war over which phone/platform is the best because in my opinion, if you like your phone than who gives a damn. 

Just want a little insight/opinions for the future and what platform/phones are you using and why? 

The market will go wherever it wants. I personally had been on Android since the Tegra 2 days (as Hagrid says: Dark times). I switched over to iPhone just this January. 

There are pros and cons to both platforms that would take me a long time to type here. There are things that I enjoy from both platforms, likewise, both can be quite infuriating at times as well in their own ways.

Examples: standby battery life had long been a point of contention with all the Android phones I’ve ever owned. Theres no reason whatsoever a phone with a 4k mAh battery and no running apps should be draining by more than a couple percent overnight. For multi day outings, kind of important in squeezing out a couple days in a single charge. My old Android, pretty much airplane mode and killing off all apps reduced battery drain to about 1%/hour. May as well shut it off entirely tbh. My iPhone. I can leave at x% overnight and it will still be at that same percent come morning. All I need to do to get reliable multiple days is just use it less. No magic voodoo or sacrificing of goats required. 

On the other side, I loathe iTunes with the burning hot fury of a thousand suns. It took me a not-insignificant amount of time to organize my music library and convert many FLAC files to ALAC/AAC, because Apple is evidently too good to use a freely available, very good codec, and goes so far as to require me to convert it externally as iTunes wants nothing to do with it. With my old Android, I can throw on whatever folder of music I want with minimal organization, and my music player (Poweramp Pro)  “just worked”.  *Linus angry voice*: “Why TF can I not just drag and drop my music like in literally any other music player!”

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 hours ago, Big Nav said:

Let's face it we're going to be using the jitterbug sooner or later.....

?

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

?

you don't know of jitterbug? It's that cell phone for old people with huge buttons and pretty much just talk and text. Aside from the inevitable of everyone getting old and needing a cell phone that is easy to see and large buttons that are easy to press. I personally would never switch from Android to Apple. In my personal opinion, no Apple product is worth the price they charge, they don't 'play nice' with anything not Apple made, forcing one to dump more money into Apple to get tech to talk to each other. Apple may have created the smart phone, but they did not perfect it. People want choice, and that's what android provides - many different competing companies making smartphones that run on android breeds competition, and competition is the mother of innovation. And I don't know if this has changed but  Apple is (or was) exclusive to AT&T limiting one even further on choice.

48 minutes ago, Big Nav said:

you don't know of jitterbug? It's that cell phone for old people with huge buttons and pretty much just talk and text. Aside from the inevitable of everyone getting old and needing a cell phone that is easy to see and large buttons that are easy to press. I personally would never switch from Android to Apple. In my personal opinion, no Apple product is worth the price they charge, they don't 'play nice' with anything not Apple made, forcing one to dump more money into Apple to get tech to talk to each other. Apple may have created the smart phone, but they did not perfect it. People want choice, and that's what android provides - many different competing companies making smartphones that run on android breeds competition, and competition is the mother of innovation. And I don't know if this has changed but  Apple is (or was) exclusive to AT&T limiting one even further on choice.

A dumb phone.

I do not customize that much and I still prefer Android for things like: (that O can remember on the top of my head right now)

• You can have apps placed on pages at the bottom of the screen without having things at the top.
  • Back button is always on the bottom of the screen. (IOS it's usually at the top left in app last time I saw an iPhone)
  • And just generally like how Android looks and works, how the settings work and more.
  • As long as it is possible, I will get a phone with fingerprint sensor on the back. 100% of those phones are Android. Sadly more and more Android phones seem to drop the fingerprint sensor on the back too...
  • You can usually find phones that are very good for for the price without having and old thing like thick border around the screen. 
  • Audio jack is a must for me. I don't want adapter.

That said I like stock android or phones that is very close to stock android, so that makes me not get Samsung either.

Currently I am using Nokia 8.1 and it's not really anything I want that it doesn't have. It got stock android so fast updates, and was a good price.

If you can, I would recommend you to just see and Android phone and and iPhone and see what OS you like the best and decide on that. Remember that different Android brands can change things in OS so can be different from one to another.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

13 hours ago, SHG_Marsh said:

Until something other than Android comes out with a phone that lasts 5+ years, expect enterprise/business customers to stick with the iPhone for costs, security and ease of deployment. 

Android phones that have to be thrown away every 18-24 months are not viable for Enterprise, and businesses that use them tend to hate deploying them since they just go in the trash when they come back. You can't even make a bulk order of them because they will be obsolete before they ever get deployed.

Androids will always be great general purpose and entry devices. Yes there are also some flagship models but Apple win out in the ecosystem, security and longevity of the devices (in my experience).

My iPad has lasted through three Samsung tablets my father in law has had. He has spent nearly double what I have now and we do the same things. I can’t say my beaten up iPad and iPhone are status symbols but they have more than proven value for money. My iPhone 7 is still going strong and has another year in it yet at least.

I highly doubt there will be much disruption to the market for the short term as both Apple and Android have their respective markets well established and catered for.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

14 hours ago, SHG_Marsh said:

im on an iphone 6 right now cuz my samsung a70 broke after 5 months and i wasnt able to get it rpaired before lockdown where i am (UK) to be honest i think iphone is going to be the phone that most people have for the forseeable future its hard to admit as i always recommend a samsung becasue in their last few phones they ahve blown all the latest iphones out of the park. the thing is i just see the ethos of apple is more "premium" and most people think having an iphone gives you that "prestige" and thats whyn (as an example) most non techy peolple will fork over 2 grand for a phone that has the same hardware as a original iphone ( i could genrally see that happening) i just think over the years apple have made this sense that you are stepping upin society with a iphone. And as i said alot of people just dont care about hardware/faster screen its all about having the apple logo. I also think the ecosystem is a very compelling feuture of an iphone, right now you just dont get the same amount of integration as apple offer between their devices. But i do salute apple in the steps towards making available an option (for those who cant spend 1.5-2 grand on a flagship) a decent option in the new SE so i think its really in the air. Apple could massivley step up their game and to be honest their phones have been pretty decent but they are still insanely priced so 🤷‍♂️ it could go anywhere.

to be honest i really dont mind the 6 apart from the battery its still supported and works fine for me but i would no go with a higher end iphone right now i mean the only one that  i would consider is the 11 or XR as they are slightly cheaper but i dont have any other apple products so theres no real reason for me to go apple and not samsung or huawei. i also agree with some of the above posts apple products i have had have lasted me alot longer and have been much easier to fix becasue of how mass-market they are.

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

13 hours ago, NZgamer said:

Yeah, Android holds more of the market share, but most people think that Apple is in the lead. A lot of people don't have the money for an iPhone.

How can you be so certain what "most people" think? Aside from that, who cares what most people think? You should care about reality instead.

Also, yes a lot of people don't have money for a Flagship device, such as Samsung S20 or iPhone 11.

The SE2 was just released, and it's awesome for the price. A really good phone for people who want an iPhone but can't afford a flagship model.

13 hours ago, NZgamer said:

I'm a huge user of widgets, I could not go to iPhone, I would miss my widgets. I like to have my home screen very neat and I can't organise it on iPhone like I can on Android but I understand there's people who couldn't care less, and I guess the iPhone sort of organises it for them

FYI iOS has widgets - they just work differently compared to Android. What exactly do you want your widgets to do?

For iOS organization, you can organize it in whatever order you want, and however many apps per page you want, you just can't start from the bottom. It is odd, I know, but it's really not a big deal at all to me at least.

Another common misconception is that you can't have a blank page - this is incorrect. The "first" page of apps can be blank and used as purely a desktop background page.