Can you see in the near future, the new popular phone company will change?

SHG_Marsh
16 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Sure but now we're changing the metric.

There's no doubt that Apple is very successful, in every meaning of the word. Their profit margins speak for themselves.

But Samsung is still the most popular smartphone company.

Goes to defining the word “popular”. Sells the most handsets?  Ok.  Sells the largest monetary value of phones? I don’t know.  Has beat brand recognition?  Nope.

Is Lamborghini a very unpopular car brand less popular than SEAT? They sell fewer cars.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Goes to defining the word “popular”. Sells the most handsets?  Ok.  Sells the largest monetary value of phones? I don’t know.  Has beat brand recognition?  Nope.

Is Lamborghini a very unpopular car brand less popular than SEAT? They sell fewer cars.

I think the definition of popular is obvious: The most common - the most well sold, etc.

If the most people buy Samsung smartphones over other smartphones, I think that makes them the most popular.

Brand recognition is one thing, but doesn't make it the most popular by itself. Yes, Apple has the best brand recognition. But let's be honest, I think that Samsung has pretty close brand recognition for Smartphones.

In fact, I would go beyond that, and say that Samsung smartphones have better recognition than Android smartphones. A lot of people "Have a Samsung" and don't actually know it's Android or what Android even is.

But if you want to apply a different definition to "popular", that's cool, as long as you're up front about your definition.

The word itself has multiple dictionary definitions - but in this context, I think my definition fits very well.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I think the definition of popular is obvious: The most common - the most well sold, etc.

If the most people buy Samsung smartphones over other smartphones, I think that makes them the most popular.

Brand recognition is one thing, but doesn't make it the most popular by itself. Yes, Apple has the best brand recognition. But let's be honest, I think that Samsung has pretty close brand recognition for Smartphones.

In fact, I would go beyond that, and say that Samsung smartphones have better recognition than Android smartphones. A lot of people "Have a Samsung" and don't actually know it's Android or what Android even is.

But if you want to apply a different definition to "popular", that's cool, as long as you're up front about your definition.

The word itself has multiple dictionary definitions - but in this context, I think my definition fits very well.

Well obviously that’s how you are defining it.  It’s one possible use.  Even a reasonable one.  Not what the OP was doing though.  “Popular” is a weird word.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Personally, I cannot stand iOS, it's layout, navigation, or most of the way the OS works. If I had my way and it had the support, I'd still be using BB10; the security and gestures were in place far before iOS or Android. Finally abandoning my BlackBerry Privs as their batteries were finally near their end, I went to a P30 Pro and it's been fine for the past year. Decent customization, gesture navigation, battery life and a solid camera setup.

The market will change where it needs to go. It's going to take something fairly fundamental to truly alter the landscape as it exists today. The fragmentation of Android is ultimately disappointing, but it's not unlike Linux distros and each have their place.