Microsoft confirms Windows 10X is coming to laptops amid big jump in Windows usage

Windows9

Microsoft is confirming today that it’s planning to refocus Windows 10X on single-screen devices. “The world is a very different place than it was last October when we shared our vision for a new category of dual-screen Windows devices,” explains Panos Panay, Microsoft’s Windows and devices chief. “With Windows 10X, we designed for flexibility, and that flexibility has enabled us to pivot our focus toward single-screen Windows 10X devices that leverage the power of the cloud to help our customers work, learn and play in new ways.”

Microsoft isn’t saying exactly when single-screen devices like laptops will support Windows 10X, nor when dual-screen devices will launch with the OS. However, Windows 10X will launch on single-screen devices first.

Microsoft is reprioritizing Windows 10X for laptops and single-screen devices because of the coronavirus pandemic. The software maker has seen a 75 percent year-over-year increase in the time spent in Windows 10. More people are turning to using their laptops or PCs instead of a smartphone or tablet during the lockdowns we’ve seen worldwide to work or study.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/4/21246561/microsoft-windows-10x-single-screens-windows-usage-demand-coronavirus-pandemic

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

We here at Microsoft saw that people are spending more and more time on their smartphones instead of their computers, so we turned our UI into a smartphone UI, because we all know Metro UI was only disliked because it was ahead of its time! Windows 10X everyone!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

they sound way to reactive instead of proactive

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I think this is a good move. It will help get devs onboard.

I also won't be surprised if they realized how lighter the OS is now (as minimum/recommended specs are being set internally), that they probably are planning as using it as the OS of choice for schools, and actually use it as an actual ChromeOS competitor (and not simply a Windows 10 with lock mode. ie: "S mode"). 

4 hours ago, Windows9 said:

that leverage the power of the cloud

This part is concerning. Just how much of it is cloud based? 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

is 10X the one that limits all software to be distributed through the windows store?

It makes sense, we don't know the long term ramifications of COVID and whether it could change operation of some businesses permanently, i.e. adopting remote work full time. The way Windows 10 works as a live service means they constantly need to be optimising it so these kind of improvements are welcome imo.

It's good, makes sense being how much more work needs to be done to improve it for those devices. At least from demos and UI shown so far. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I just wish Microsoft would leave Windows alone. Time and time again have they tried to steer it towards a locked down, dumbed down smartphone OS and this just seems like the next attempt of that.

It is so obvious that they are trying to get away from the Windows we on this forum likes and force us to use a shitty phone OS instead. I am willing to bet that as soon as Microsoft gets one hit with their terrible attempts at re-imagining Windows, they will spend all their focus on that and try to push everyone over to it.

Let's be honest. Microsoft hates Windows 10. What Microsoft wants is essentially an iOS copy, where everything is dictated by Microsoft and they are the gatekeepers who take a fee on everything you do on your computer. They have tried to do this over and over again, and every time they have failed horribly and had to backpedal.

Windows 10X is just the latest attempt from Microsoft to do this.

I mean look at this start menu. Who in their right mind want this on their laptop?

windows-10x-start.jpg.9d08536e0a882075424e1fa4d673a9a0.jpg

13 hours ago, hishnash said:

is 10X the one that limits all software to be distributed through the windows store?

You're thinking of Windows 10S.

I don't think we know what limitations Windows 10X will have yet. What we do know is that Win32 programs will not run natively on it. Instead they will run in a containerized mode (basically a VM), while UWP and web apps will be the first class citizens.

I wonder how much Win10x is going to cost and if current win10 license can also be used to activate it. They do have Win10 Pro for Workstation, only sold at the MS Store, and it cost extra. It's $309 for the whole OS or $125 to upgrade from Win10 Pro to Win10 Pro for Workstation.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Let's be honest. Microsoft hates Windows 10. What Microsoft wants is essentially an iOS copy, where everything is dictated by Microsoft and they are the gatekeepers who take a fee on everything you do on your computer. They have tried to do this over and over again, and every time they have failed horribly and had to backpedal.

This 100%

There is no need for a new version of Windows, especially on the desktop. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

13 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Last version of windows my ass

It is a completely different OS.

Windows 10 is based on WinNT.

Windows 10X is based on OneCore.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It's funny how the tables have turned, really.  Microsoft built its business on licensing software to any hardware maker that would have it, but it has spent the past, say, 15 years or so wishing it had gone Apple's route.  Not to say everything about Apple's approach is inherently better, but tight integration between hardware, software and services is pretty lucrative and often leads to happy customers.

Well! Well! Well! I’ve always been a believer of Microsoft Technologies, and all my life till now, I’ve been using their OS. The Windows 10X that too coming to a single-screen device like laptop is definitely a treat for all the guys like me who are using a Windows laptop literally for everything. I work, get entertained, watch movies and do everything on my laptop and I’m sure that this move from Windows will certainly benefit people like me the most. I know the possibility are endless. The fact that they are planning on launching 10X OS on single screen first is special because I’m using one and I don’t find a dual screen useful in some ways.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I just wish Microsoft would leave Windows alone. Time and time again have they tried to steer it towards a locked down, dumbed down smartphone OS and this just seems like the next attempt of that.

It is so obvious that they are trying to get away from the Windows we on this forum likes and force us to use a shitty phone OS instead. I am willing to bet that as soon as Microsoft gets one hit with their terrible attempts at re-imagining Windows, they will spend all their focus on that and try to push everyone over to it.

I mean look at this start menu. Who in their right mind want this on their laptop?

You're thinking of Windows 10S.

I don't think we know what limitations Windows 10X will have yet. What we do know is that Win32 programs will not run natively on it. Instead they will run in a containerized mode (basically a VM), while UWP and web apps will be the first class citizens.

i just hate how some setting options are in the new settings menu and some are in the old control menu like wtf just put them all in one menu or even better put them all in both menus

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Agreed. The screenshot just screams ChromeOS to me, which may be fine if they run 10X separately from regular Windows 10.

I think it'd be a great side product, but for actual productivity and office work, 10X will fall flat on its face. So hopefully they won't do that, again.

What i would like to know now is that if there going to release it to standard laptops, is if it can be installed on standard hardware like normal windows or if there going to lock bootloading on x86 hardware to be more akin to windows on ARM and install to a ROM and be managed as firmware.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

22 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

We here at Microsoft saw that people are spending more and more time on their smartphones instead of their computers, so we turned our UI into a smartphone UI, because we all know Metro UI was only disliked because it was ahead of its time! Windows 10X everyone!

I get it now:

They mean that annoying, blinding, blinking, "Like a Vegas Neon sign" epeleptic-seizure inducing, colors so damn loud your eyes needed earmuffs that amounts to vomit in techno-color that always gets in the way making trying to find the damn powerbutton and all else an odyssey, NOT an adventure and you don't get Indy riding along to help you out in finding it with each and every desktop session being a mindless, retarded rerun of the same shiite you just went through in your last session because the OS "Decided" to do an update and conveniently did it without your concent borking the mess to an even bigger mess and (Oh Chit!!) the OS just comitted suicide.... 

Yeah, I'm not going there folks - Win 7, Linux or bust.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

50 minutes ago, Commodus said:

software and services is pretty lucrative and often leads to happy customers.

Ummm no? It makes only the company happy by generating more $$$ for them to the detriment of their user base. Like imagine if your gpu dies and you have to throw out the whole machine because TPM will block the startup because the new gpu id dont match with the previous one and ms would charge an arm and a leg for "repairing it".....

18 hours ago, hishnash said:

That's 10 S, I believe.

Great. Another thing to avoid when buying laptops.

The Eight Fallacies of Distributed Computing

Essentially everyone, when they first build a distributed application, makes the following eight assumptions. All prove to be false in the long run and all cause big trouble and painful learning experiences.

1. The network is reliable
  2. Latency is zero
  3. Bandwidth is infinite
  4. The network is secure
  5. Topology doesn’t change
  6. There is one administrator
  7. Transport cost is zero
  8. The network is homogeneous

— Peter Deutsch