Youtube to Reduce Default Playback Resolution to 480p Globally

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

Does anyone experience the change? My videos are still 1080p by default

Starts April according to article.

Details separate people.

2 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

FYI , They'll be throttling Console Game download speeds globally soon. read that news while i was looking for other sources for this news.

About to tell my brother who has been relying on his Xbox One S. 🤞

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

This is just yet another proof how cheapskate the companies running the internet really are. (and by internet i mean the infrastructure) If something cant handle the pressure upgrade it or replace it. There should be no 3rd option, especially not this where consumers get the short end of the stick. Imagine if Amazon or MS would say to their business customers that they wont get the computing power they are paying for because they cant provide it but still charge for it.....

Nobody designs infrastructure for "that one time where there's 10 times more demand than normal".

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Nobody designs infrastructure for "that one time where there's 10 times more demand than normal".

If they did no one would be able to afford their internet the rest of the time.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The main problem here is that nobody designs infrastructure to handle what they sell. Most of them oversell their capacity by a pretty huge margin. Otherwise a 150/15 connection couldnt possibly dip below 15 DL and unmeasurable UL.....

3 hours ago, Twilight said:

480p looks horrible. 720p too quite frankly. it's not the 90's anymore.

and i think that it's not something that "must be done". the internet is not something that can run out. it's just simple connections between computers. i really do not understand why these measures are neccesary, since my country has been on a sort of lockdown for days, and aside from my router crashing (after a reset it was fine) i've noticed no issues at all... 

Meanwhile in Australia...a fairly common site in Telstra (main ISP) pits:

Spoiler

telstra-cut-under-joint-telstra-complaints-sydney-secure-a-com.jpg

Picture_624.jpg

This is why (over here at least). Note that a lot of networks with similar issues to ^that^ were re-purposed for FTTN NBN. The pits as well BTW, are prone to flooding.

Edit: Also, this article - https://delimiter.com.au/2012/05/01/worst-of-the-worst-photos-of-australias-copper-network/

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

48 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

Being it starts April 1st you'd think April Fools.

This is YouTube though...they've done a lot of things that seem like an April Fools prank.

PMSL

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Meanwhile in Australia...a fairly common site in Telstra (main ISP) pits:

Hide contents

telstra-cut-under-joint-telstra-complaints-sydney-secure-a-com.jpg

Picture_624.jpg

This is why (over here at least). Note that a lot of networks with similar issues to ^that^ were re-purposed for FTTN NBN. The pits as well BTW, are prone to flooding.

Edit: Also, this article - https://delimiter.com.au/2012/05/01/worst-of-the-worst-photos-of-australias-copper-network/

And  in delimiter's efforts to be unbiased they posted this article with a whopping 5 pictures of decent looking telstra gear. https://delimiter.com.au/2012/05/17/pristine-telstra-network-photos-we-sourced-our-own/

There is a lot more to this than the surface issues.  If we want to replace all the pits with shiny new ones then your going to have to stump up a lot more for your internet connection.   Initial pricing for a 12Mb/s connection under the old FTTH model was $80 a month with a 50G cap. compare that to the $60 I am paying for 25Mb/s unlimited (from a premium RSP).   It's fine to point at the flaws in the current system, but remember people are both unable and unwilling to pay for the better version.

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/costs-balloon-in-allfibre-national-broadband-network-rollout-20171020-gz56pk

At an average of $23K per house a the top end is astounding. EDIT: $4400 for he average house

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

As long as you can manually change it, it's not so bad...

If Netflix started doing this, considering there isn't a way to manually select the quality while watching AFAK other than choosing the highest quality it can go in your settings... That would sucks and I might just cancel it. I ain't paying for potato quality.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I can get 4K60 on what would be considered a slow connection, Idk why this is such a big issue 😂

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I had to watch 480p a while back when I had to use my phone for anything internet. Gotta say on a phones screen 480p still looks pretty decent. 360p is bearable. On my desktop I like a higher resolution.

11 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Reminds me of the few articles a year back where the nbn installers kept finding illicit drugs in cable pits.

Oh shit they found my secret

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

well given that unlike Netflix you don't have to pay to get the higher resolution, I give a pass to youtube for pulling the same solution

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

And  in delimiter's efforts to be unbiased they posted this article with a whopping 5 pictures of decent looking telstra gear. https://delimiter.com.au/2012/05/17/pristine-telstra-network-photos-we-sourced-our-own/

There is a lot more to this than the surface issues.  If we want to replace all the pits with shiny new ones then your going to have to stump up a lot more for your internet connection.   Initial pricing for a 12Mb/s connection under the old FTTH model was $80 a month with a 50G cap. compare that to the $60 I am paying for 25Mb/s unlimited (from a premium RSP).   It's fine to point at the flaws in the current system, but remember people are both unable and unwilling to pay for the better version.

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/costs-balloon-in-allfibre-national-broadband-network-rollout-20171020-gz56pk

At an average of $23K per house a the top end is astounding. EDIT: $4400 for he average house

They wouldn't have to replace them if they were maintained in the first place.

PMSL

https://www.mrfdev.com/enhancer-for-youtube

This can (among many other useful things) override the default to whatever you want.  Make it 1080p if that's what you require.  Set it to 240p if you want to help save even more data.  You can also change default playback speed, apply filters to correct washed out videos, and much more.  Highly recommended.  While you're at it, grab an adblocker to save even more data.

Bonus tip: get into Minecracft videos.  Due to the nature of the graphics of the game, 720p is 100% passable and 480 may not even be a real issue tbh.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

51 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

They wouldn't have to replace them if they were maintained in the first place.

That is true. unfortunately that was never going to happen. all street pits look like that because there was no cheap way to water proof a street pit. Especially not for the first 50 years these ones existed.  Also in many of the places the water logged pits exist are areas prone to flooding (like most of Melbourne in a storm). The issue with the copper looking the way it does is because no one wants to foot the build for running new cables.   Telecom was never funded to replace cables, even being government owned unless the cable died completely they didn't have the budget.  Then they went private and had shareholders to please,  then they were forced to sell the copper network (like they are going to waste time maintaining an asset they are being forced to sell).   Australia just isn't a very conducive place for certain infrastructure, there is no business case for it.

A lot of people just use youtube to listen to music. I see it in my offices a lot (when I went in, i usually work at home anyway). This has probably surged as people start working at home too. So a default lower bitrate is probably a smart idea.

Generally, if people are bothered by a lower bitrate, then they will change it or find a way to change it by default.

Everyone that isn't bothered by it will accept it and free up the bandwidth for everyone else.

whilst 480p is incredibly low, you may as well low-ball it and scrape what you can from those that aren't interested in it.

Though it does make their service look a bit shitty for those not in the know.

People can have my youtube bandwidth that I won't be using then... not worth playing 480p on a 4k screen IMO, it looks terrible. I'm not complaining to be clear, just stating that I'd rather not watch at all than that resolution. I'll wait until the situation is resolved.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

8 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

People can have my youtube bandwidth that I won't be using then... not worth playing 480p on a 4k screen IMO, it looks terrible. I'm not complaining to be clear, just stating that I'd rather not watch at all than that resolution. I'll wait until the situation is resolved.

You can manually put it higher resolution, it just 480p is what it automatically selects if you don't. From my understanding.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

14 hours ago, mariushm said:

I'd be fine with it if Youtube would actually use a bunch of servers to recompress the content from original source to 480p using high quality preset, not the presets which are "optimized" to be easy to be played by slow machines and so on.

I usually watch everything on 720p... currently using a laptop with 1366x768 resolution so no need for more than that.

You grossly misunderstand how YouTube encodes their videos. They use many different codecs and bitrates for the same resolution and the one that you play depends on what your device supports.

2 minutes ago, Mihle said:

You can manually put it higher resolution, it just 480p is what it automatically selects if you don't. From my understanding.

Ahh I see, I misunderstood :derp 🤣

Thank you for correcting my thinking, I can still enjoy Youtube for a bit now then.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini