Youtube to Reduce Default Playback Resolution to 480p Globally

11 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

The main problem here is that nobody designs infrastructure to handle what they sell. Most of them oversell their capacity by a pretty huge margin. Otherwise a 150/15 connection couldnt possibly dip below 15 DL and unmeasurable UL.....

It makes no sense to have enough capacity for everyone to max out their connections at the same time. Are they supposed to stump up 10x for their infrastructure and spend 99.9% of the time underutilising it for that 0.1% of the time when they hit capacity? If so expect to pay significantly more for your services.

12 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

This is just yet another proof how cheapskate the companies running the internet really are. (and by internet i mean the infrastructure) If something cant handle the pressure upgrade it or replace it. There should be no 3rd option, especially not this where consumers get the short end of the stick. Imagine if Amazon or MS would say to their business customers that they wont get the computing power they are paying for because they cant provide it but still charge for it.....

I actually got an email from Microsoft the other day saying that they may cull some of our services if demand is needed for medical/emergency services/etc. but obviously you won’t be paying for that service while it’s offline.

51 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

It makes no sense to have enough capacity for everyone to max out their connections at the same time. Are they supposed to stump up 10x for their infrastructure and spend 99.9% of the time underutilising it for that 0.1% of the time when they hit capacity? If so expect to pay significantly more for your services.

Like expecting ppl to just grin and bear a totally crippled experience while paying the same amount of money for it is totally sensible..... 9_9  One more dip like this and my ISP will receive some not so nice complaint for not upholding the guarantied minimums.

54 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

obviously you won’t be paying for that service while it’s offline

But ppl do pay the same for 4k/fhd netflix/etc while getting crap quality.

I mostly watch on my phone in portrait mode, 480p is probably fine. 😂

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

This is how the rich stay finessing.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

It says "AUTO 1080p" on mine, but I have trust issues it being 1080p after reading all this all over the interwebs.

Damn... I should really stop power watching youtube already....

Cost you guys too much. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

19 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

I mostly watch on my phone in portrait mode, 480p is probably fine. 😂

I can't even watch in 720 on my phone.

#resolutionsnob... well, not really, just my eyes work.

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It says "AUTO 1080p" on mine, but I have trust issues it being 1080p after reading all this all over the interwebs.

wont start until April according to the article interview with Youtube rep.

Details separate people.