Why do people avoid Epic?

Yogi_DaBear221

Why do people avoid Epic Games like the plague? Like I mean its kind of messy but I mean I'm all for getting some free games. Like I've got sooooo many more games than I had before. Like am I missing some big scandal? I know they were doing something with like Unreal Engine and the Devs that use it but, I don't know that it was a bad thing was it?

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

3 minutes ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

Why do people avoid Epic Games like the plague? Like I mean its kind of messy but I mean I'm all for getting some free games. Like I've got sooooo many more games than I had before. Like am I missing some big scandal? I know they were doing something with like Unreal Engine and the Devs that use it but, I don't know that it was a bad thing was it?

Feature deprived launcher and store.

Also anti-competitive hush money exclusives.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

3 minutes ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

Personally I am not a 'China bad'-kind of person, but Epic is 40% owned by Tencent, which is an enormous company which does some shady stuff, like the social credit system which I do not agree with. I would prefer them not having my information too.

Alibaba is also part of this social credit system, but it is a lot more difficult to avoid them. With Epic I am only missing out on some videogames.

Their TOS at the beginning also left a sour-taste in my mouth:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/a9no8a/apparently_epic_games_store_owns_content_rights/

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

bit outdated but true none the less 

i don't care if it's a single player game or multiplayer, epic lacks any basic features such as cloud save or even achievements, and anti consumer opt in dev reviews now, people are upset that they are giving no choice, it's not competition. installing another 10 mb launcher was the least of anyone's worries, 

there is no actual one Upside to buy it on EPIC either.  doesn't mean people want to ditch where all of their friends are, where all their achievements are, where all their games saves have been saved, where you can make an informed decision in buying a game reading the user reviews instead of paid media, where you can look up stats of the users before buying an online game.

people are reasonably very angry about this and a lot of console gamers seem to be confused as a why PC gamers seem quote/unquote so entitled, let me make an analogy say you really like Call of Duty and you own a ps4 well what if two weeks before launch Activision announced that the next Call of Duty game is going to only be on the Xbox one for the first year and then it'll go on all platforms and that the reason this happened is because Microsoft bought the rights for the first year of call of duty, this means that in order to play Call of Duty you would have to play it on an Xbox one you have no choice there is no competition.

I really want to stress I made this analogy with a third party game this is not something epic games is making this is a third party title and makes sense the EA's games would be on their own platform, it makes sense the Ubisoft games would be on their own platform, but for a third party game being restricted to a specific store is not good for the consumer people defending this seem to mistake it for being good competition this is not good competition, the developer and publisher aren't leaving Steam that's not what's going on 

Epic Games is buying games to force them to be an exclusive on their platform, what would be good competition is if Metro Exodus was on both steam and the epic store, this is actually something we need, we need another company to really push valve to make steam better but this is not how you do it, again people are not leaving steam because steam is bad, Epic Store does give developers more profits and if this is the only reason they were leaving that would be great but it's not, people are not willing to leave steam and lose all the sales they would have made on Steam to make less sales on epic, that cut does not make up for that, so epic has to pay people to make their games and go on their store, exclusive deals like this aren't necessarily new to the gaming space on consoles but they are pretty new to PC gaming and this is why people are so upset, we DO NOT want this to become the norm, this is not good for consumers and this only benefits epic games

People aren't upset just because they have to download another program people are upset because this is a whole bunch of bullshit the consumers shouldn't have to deal with to make all this worse the epic store is flat-out terrible compared to Steam, now keep in mind steam is not the world's best thing but comparatively it looks like the work of God"Gaben", epic store doesn't have cloud saving, reviews, message boards, achievements, in-home streaming, family sharing, there's no Linux support, there's no community pages, there's nothing like big picture mode, it is complete garbage in comparison, to make things worse it's forced DRM and ALWAYS online(you can't play exodus offline on Epic regardless of it being a fucking single player game.), this is why it's bad for the consumer we aren't going over to their store because it's a better thing than Steam, we're going to the store because we are forced to, nobody wants this, because it's enticing in comparison, it looks awful in comparison.

And this is why you're seeing a lot of claim from people saying "well I guess I'm just not gonna play a metro Exodus for the next year until it comes to steam" or the other comments saying "well I guess I'm pirating Metro Exodus", which let's be real that means they're going to pirate it beat at once probably never play it again probably never buy it, these are people that would have 100% bought the game on Steam if it was on Steam or perhaps if the epic store was actually any good they'd buy it over there instead and give a bigger cut to the developer, but as it stands right now it's a trash fortnite launcher that people are being forced to use and all of this is because Deep Silver is greedy and wants money right "now" like most publishers do, the blame 100% goes to both Epic Games and Deep Silver for this, epic games for being incredibly scummy and really having an over aggressive marketing strategy for a product that's subpar on top of that it's a product I don't trust.

It seems to be selling a lot of information to people and people seem to reporting their accounts getting hacked rather quickly I don't trust my information in the store at all, now a new store is going to have some growing pains but at the same time Epic Games is not a small store and this clients been around for a little while because a fortnite, so they should have been working things out to, add on top of all of this the head of the epic store is one of the same guys that ran telltale into the ground, not only did he do that but he was also present as a marketing consultant for the dying days of Atari Midway accolade, I'm not sure how this guy manages to continue getting a job higher up but he always seems to fail anywhere he goes.

Epic right now has a very aggressive strategy, I don't think it's really going to pan out for them I feel like more people are just going to boycott it but we'll see in the future and if it fails I doubt epics going to give up on their store maybe they'll start doing things the right way.

I still love the Metro franchise but I do not approve of where they're taking Metro Exodus ie the epic game store.

Edit : Also, the damn game doesn't even have regional pricing here.

150400409_EpicvsSteamfeatures.jpg.82971ea1fab2fb9b390a0b8e81f30245.jpg.2812fbca8e4cb510751bc275cfed025e.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

34 minutes ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

Everybody I know that play PC games have an Epic account. They got it to play Fortnite. That is why I got mine.

I can understand where people are coming from though. 

I hated Steam when it came out. I was use to going to the mall on the Friday and buying a new game.  Then Steam came along and the games were no longer in the boxes. That made a lot of people mad. 

I was mad about Steam because I did not have a choice but to use them. That is what I don't like about Epic or the consoles for that matter.

I want choice. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

I care less about them splashing all their vbucks money on exclusives, and more about them not spending a single bit of all their vbucks money on making their storefront & launcher not shit.

They can't even be bothered to "hire" an intern to plagerise stuff off Steam or Origin ffs.

They could've been actual steam competitors, but instead they opted to buy exclusivity deals instead of developing their platform/launcher.

The exclusivity deals in themselves made a lot of people hate them, especially for games that were supposed to be launching on steam (with pre-orders sold) and games that were on kickstarter with the promise of launching on steam. 

Mainly because people don't like having to use something they aren't used to and hating on Fortnite (as well as anything connected to it) is a popular meme. "I'm not like the normies" and all that, you know.

Exclusivity deals are just the logical followup to DRM. If they had a problem with that they could have said something about Steam doing essentially the same thing for years with the only difference that Valve didn't explicitly ask (or pay) for an exclusive. There are hundreds if not thousands of games that are only available on Steam because the developers didn't care to make a deal with a different distribution platform - not to mention the handful of publishers who only sell their games on their own proprietary platform. This is nothing new, just a case of people missing the forest for the trees.

19 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

The exclusivity deals in themselves made a lot of people hate them, especially for games that were supposed to be launching on steam (with pre-orders sold) and games that were on kickstarter with the promise of launching on steam. 

Kickstarter campaigns going back on their promises is entirely their own fault. Epic can only offer them money, they can't force them to take it.

But again, this is only a problem because of DRM in the first place.

3 hours ago, jones177 said:

Everybody I know that play PC games have an Epic account. They got it to play Fortnite. That is why I got mine.

I made one for UT4, too bad that didn't really go anywhere.

3 hours ago, jones177 said:

I was mad about Steam because I did not have a choice but to use them. That is what I don't like about Epic or the consoles for that matter.

I want choice.

Then complain about DRM, not Epic specifically ;)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i use epic for dauntless and mechwarrior but have gotten like 100 free games from them (every thursday 1 to 3 free games)

Not interested in having yet another launcher, and I don't like their business practices. So, it's easy. Don't install it.

It has nothing I want.

Their "free" games aren't something I'm interested in either.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Then complain about DRM, not Epic specifically ;)

I think I was complaining about Steam when it came out and how it affected part of my life style.

My only complaint about Epic is they don't have gifting. All the games I wanted to give as gifts over the holidays are on it.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

EA is financed by the US but china badddddd 

Not at the same capacity. EA becomes a china backed company and ill gladly stop playing their games, its not like they have anything good out there.

32 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Not at the same capacity. EA becomes a china backed company and ill gladly stop playing their games, its not like they have anything good out there.

Is that where the line is? Decades of anticonsumer practices and predatory monetization are ok so long as China isn't partially financing them?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 hours ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

I still get their free games occasionally. Almost all of them have been boring to me though.

I won't buy anything from them. I only got Steam because I had to (it was a mandatory install when I bought Skyrim on disc), and I won't buy anything that forces me to use another launcher. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Is that where the line is? Decades of anticonsumer practices and predatory monetization are ok so long as China isn't partially financing them?

The last straw is aligning with the evil empire.

Bloated launcher that you can't find anything in. (That amazingly Steam decided to copy) All these chromium-based launchers suck suck suck.

Exclusivity is also a poison. Because it encourages fragmentation and that you will then have to buy the same game on multiple stores as exclusivity ends and you really wanted it on Steam because that's how you have everything setup already, or care about the achievements, or your friends are there or whatever.

Until purchase-once, cross-play, and achivements/trophies are a unified thing regardless of the platform you play it on, people will hover around whatever store they first put money in and balk at having to remember more than one login for all of this.

Why do people avoid Epic Games like the plague? Like I mean its kind of messy but I mean I'm all for getting some free games. 

Understandable, but I'd rather pay for a game on GOG than getting one for free at Steam / Epic / Battlenet / etc.

Why do people care about trophies and achievements? I have never paid attention to them on my steam account. I give zero fucks about them, what is the allure to those of you that mention those as a positive?

42 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Why do people care about trophies and achievements? I have never paid attention to them on my steam account. I give zero fucks about them, what is the allure to those of you that mention those as a positive?

Some are interesting challenges or things you wouldn't have tried otherwise. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Just now, Andreas Lilja said:

Some are interesting challenges or things you wouldn't have tried otherwise. 

Ok fair enough

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

Kickstarter campaigns going back on their promises is entirely their own fault. Epic can only offer them money, they can't force them to take it.

I think that sums up the whole exclusivity thing tbh; Epic dangles money in front of developers or whoever, they bite the bills, people get mad at them for biting and at Epic for making the offer. 

4 hours ago, Caroline said:

EA is financed by the US but china badddddd 

only one of them is trying to censor the rest of the world the other one doesn't. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker