Why do people avoid Epic?

Yogi_DaBear221
12 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Sure, but when they want the game on their store until they find out the dev doesn't want it to be exclusive, it says a lot about epic. When it comes to competition epic is two-faced.

Creating competition doesnt mean you cant have exclusives.

13 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Because I flit from title to title in a single gaming session, and my games span multiple launchers. 

But you could just close one and then open the other...its like 10 seconds worth off effort to close one then open another.

22 hours ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

Why do people avoid Epic Games like the plague? Like I mean its kind of messy but I mean I'm all for getting some free games. Like I've got sooooo many more games than I had before. Like am I missing some big scandal? I know they were doing something with like Unreal Engine and the Devs that use it but, I don't know that it was a bad thing was it?

It has a functional if basic storefront, and it tries to encourage people to use their free web platform by investing primarily in smaller studios by giving them financial guarantees, so of course they're literally Satan.

22 hours ago, minibois said:

Personally I am not a 'China bad'-kind of person, but Epic is 40% owned by Tencent, which is an enormous company which does some shady stuff, like the social credit system which I do not agree with. I would prefer them not having my information too.

You do know that 40% is a minority right? And they're just a shareholder. They aren't owed anything other than a share of the profits. If you're trying to live your life by not giving any money to China, then I have some news for you. This argument is stupid and has never been logical. I own shares in Tesla, even if I owned 40% I couldn't tell Elon to hand over all the GPS positioning of every car. He'd tell me to fuck off. And probably call me a rapist or something.

22 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

there is no actual one Upside to buy it on EPIC either.  doesn't mean people want to ditch where all of their friends are, where all their achievements are, where all their games saves have been saved, where you can make an informed decision in buying a game reading the user reviews instead of paid media, where you can look up stats of the users before buying an online game.

Steam reviews are absolute garbage, with either an approve or disapprove rating, and very prone to abuse, leading to good games getting mass bad reviews because they don't like Borderlands 3, or piece of shit games getting glowing reviews because of memes. There's also the censorship. Fun fact, Steam blocks the word Pachinko because it has the word chink in it. Which is stupid. It's not like Steam is the only place to get reviews, and given how terrible the system is, it's better to look elsewhere anyways.

people are reasonably very angry about this and a lot of console gamers seem to be confused as a why PC gamers seem quote/unquote so entitled, let me make an analogy say you really like Call of Duty and you own a ps4 well what if two weeks before launch Activision announced that the next Call of Duty game is going to only be on the Xbox one for the first year and then it'll go on all platforms and that the reason this happened is because Microsoft bought the rights for the first year of call of duty, this means that in order to play Call of Duty you would have to play it on an Xbox one you have no choice there is no competition.

They literally did that with Destiny and literally this year with COD and some special game mode, yet no one mass boycotted either platform (Both of my examples were on the Sony side actually.) It's also a terrible analogy because you have to buy another entire console, not use a different free digital storefront.

to make things worse it's forced DRM and ALWAYS online(you can't play exodus offline on Epic regardless of it being a fucking single player game.)

Epic right now has a very aggressive strategy, I don't think it's really going to pan out for them I feel like more people are just going to boycott it but we'll see in the future and if it fails I doubt epics going to give up on their store maybe they'll start doing things the right way.

Has nothing to do with Epic. It's not like Steam games don't have always online DRM. A bunch of games I've gotten from epic are 100% DRM free after install, including Batman Arkham Knight, which Denuvo really fucked up on launch on Steam, including locking legit copies out of the game and horrible performance. Of which, Steam still has Denuvo in Arkham Knight. Personally everything else you listed about Steam I couldn't give less of a care about.

Epic also reported their earnings by means of total game sales and games given for free, and they're making money. Not to mention they are funding themselves through their worlds most popular game engine. If people really hate Epic they'd also boycott every game that uses UE4. I'd like to see that happen.

19 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

They could've been actual steam competitors, but instead they opted to buy exclusivity deals instead of developing their platform/launcher.

The exclusivity deals in themselves made a lot of people hate them, especially for games that were supposed to be launching on steam (with pre-orders sold) and games that were on kickstarter with the promise of launching on steam. 

Those pre-orders were fulfilled. And a kickstarter project didn't live up to expectations/goals? Say it isn't so!

18 hours ago, Jeppes said:

Its also financed by China. Not gonna install that.

No, it's primarily financed by themselves through their popular games and the worlds most popular game engine. And actual sales.

15 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I still get their free games occasionally. Almost all of them have been boring to me though.

I find this argument interesting. I don't know what games you people are interested in, but Epic has pretty consistently been giving away games with high review scores that were very popular and influential at launch. I've gotten 3 new favorite games, 8 very good games, and 15 games I consider well worth playing. Going off Critic reviews, 39 of them have an 80 or above. That's only from the games I snagged that I wasn't disinterested in or already owned elsewhere.

14 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Understandable, but I'd rather pay for a game on GOG than getting one for free at Steam / Epic / Battlenet / etc.

Actually, a pretty good number of the free games I've gotten are also DRM free, launched directly from the .exe through Galaxy 2.0 and never opening or touching EGS. Though I'd normally agree.

13 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Some are interesting challenges or things you wouldn't have tried otherwise. 

I hate achievements. They took in game rewards and made them completely stripped out of the game for pointless means. Why should I grind out 500 kills when all I get is imaginary points and a tiny thumbnail instead of something substantial in game? And 60-70% of achievements are just for finishing the game. Like, ooh, big achievement there bucko, you used the thing you paid for.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, RonnieOP said:

People cant seem to grasp that competition is good for the consumer.

Exclusivity isn't competition.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, RonnieOP said:

But you could just close one and then open the other...its like 10 seconds worth off effort to close one then open another.

I could. Or, I could have them open and run idle at startup, then launch my game from GOG Galaxy 2.0 (I can see all my games and have all my other launchers linked so I can start games and installers and everything), meaning I only need to actually open one, and that's an aesthetically pleasing one with good organization and an excellent UI. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, WereCatf said:

Exclusivity isn't competition.

You can have competition and exclusive titles. Thats already been proven in many many different areas.

Signing exclusive deals can also help competition. Because it will force steam to make better offers to devs in order to have them avoid signing exclusive deals.

Its like some people have been happy that steam has been able to fuck devs over the past decade or so.

29 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

I don't understand the exclusivity argument, as technically Steam has had this for years.

That's incorrect. Steam doesn't mandate any of the games publishers want on Steam to be exclusive to Steam; that's up to the publishers to decide.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That's incorrect. Steam doesn't mandate any of the games publishers want on Steam to be exclusive to Steam; that's up to the publishers to decide.

No but they mandate a bunch of other things. And want a huge cut of others work.

You said it yourself. Its up to the publisher to decide. Do they want to give valve a huge cut and abide by their ToS or do they want more money for their hard work and do an exclusive deal with epic.

It gives publishers more options. 

6 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

You do know that 40% is a minority right? And they're just a shareholder. They aren't owed anything other than a share of the profits. If you're trying to live your life by not giving any money to China, then I have some news for you. This argument is stupid and has never been logical. I own shares in Tesla, even if I owned 40% I couldn't tell Elon to hand over all the GPS positioning of every car. He'd tell me to fuck off. And probably call me a rapist or something.

Did you read my post or just saw I mentioned Tencent?

I said I am not a 'China bad' person, I just don't agree with what that specific company is doing. 40% owner still get money, so if I give them my money directly (buying games) or give them my information (which they can share all over the world, which could indirectly make this company money).

From Epic's privacy policy:

Epic Games is a company with operations around the world. By using the Epic services, you acknowledge and agree that your information may be processed outside your country of residence, including in other jurisdictions (like the United States) that may have different data protection frameworks than your region. To learn more about the Epic entity responsible for operating the Epic services in your region, see “How to Contact Us” below.

https://www.epicgames.com/site/en-US/privacypolicy

10 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

If you're trying to live your life by not giving any money to China, then I have some news for you. 

Yes, I know this. That is why I mentioned in my post I still use other Chinese services (namely Alibaba), but it's just a lot easier to avoid Epic, as I am not interested in the games they provide.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

19 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Because I flit from title to title in a single gaming session, and my games span multiple launchers. 

But if you have Galaxy 2.0 you can just launch games from that, and it'll auto open the launcher on game start and auto close it on game exit.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That's incorrect. Steam doesn't mandate any of the games publishers want on Steam to make the games exclusive, that's up to the publishers to decide.

Effectively the same. Games made for consoles are still console exclusive, whether or not MS or Sony paid them.

#Muricaparrotgang

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

Did you read my post or just saw I mentioned Tencent?

I said I am not a 'China bad' person, I just don't agree with what that specific company is doing. 40% owner still get money, so if I give them my money directly (buying games) or give them my information (which they can share all over the world, which could indirectly make this company money).

From Epic's privacy policy:

Epic Games is a company with operations around the world. By using the Epic services, you acknowledge and agree that your information may be processed outside your country of residence, including in other jurisdictions (like the United States) that may have different data protection frameworks than your region. To learn more about the Epic entity responsible for operating the Epic services in your region, see “How to Contact Us” below.

Okay. And so what? Steam and every other digital storefront has a different TOS and data processing plant in every country on the planet? That TOS specifically mentions it will process data in the US, which has different laws to the EU, but sure, fuck it. Somehow 40% is a majority shareholder and the US is now China.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

But if you have Galaxy 2.0 you can just launch games from that, and it'll auto open the launcher on game start and auto close it on game exit.

And it's slightly slower because the launchers need to launch, and then the games, and the launchers are going to need to update if they haven't been opened in a while, whereas if they're always running they're almost always available. It's faster and more convenient, and the current launcher combo I run doesn't impact performance enough that I need to disable some or all of them on startup.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I'd like to buy more stuff on GOG as well, but....GOG most has only old games or shit games. Or games that are both old and shit. They rarely get any of the ones I'd be interested or if they do, they get them like 6 years late.

Sad but true :(

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Asrock AB350 ITX - 64GB DDR4-3600MHz - Geforce GTX 1080 - Samsung 960Pro - Monsterlabo's "The First" - Corsair SF450

1 hour ago, RonnieOP said:

Theres literally no good reason to avoid epic.

Ignoring the other two points in my post above yours and just looking at one, Tim Sweeney. The man's a blistering thunder-twunt. My desire to not give people and companies I do not like money, is a good reason for me to avoid Epic. Seems to me a lot of other folks feel the same way. 

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

3 minutes ago, IdlePX said:

Ignoring the other two points in my post above yours and just looking at one, Tim Sweeney. The man's a blistering thunder-twunt. My desire to not give people and companies I do not like money, is a good reason for me to avoid Epic. Seems to me a lot of other folks feel the same way. 

Yeah alot business owners are assholes.

I bet if you looked into the owners of the companies you do give money to every week youd find even bigger assholes. No ceo gives a shit about you. Not epics, not valves, not nvidias, not amds, etc. You are a stat on a financial report and nothing more.

You think the ceo of valve is a good guy? You forget about modgate? Where you work hard on a mod and post it and valve takes 75% of the profit.

Do you avoid every single game that uses the unreal engine? Because if not your giving money to epic 

I try to launch the Epic Launcher any time I remember because they always seem to be giving away games.

This is my current collection:

https://i.imgur.com/T2Vn2cM.gifv

To date I haven't given Epic a single penny.

@RonnieOP You can still actively reduce the money you give to people/companies you don't like. 

If you intensely dislike a company or person, do you still give them money when there are alternatives? I don't. if possible. I shop elsewhere. Not installing Epic is just another case of voting with my wallet. Something I wish more shoppers would do with more businesses, instead of grumbling without looking for alternatives.

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

@RonnieOP You can still actively reduce the money you give to people/companies you don't like. 

If you intensely dislike a company or person, do you still give them money when there are alternatives? I don't. if possible. I shop elsewhere. Not installing Epic is just another case of voting with my wallet. Something I wish more shoppers would do with more businesses, instead of grumbling without looking for alternatives.

Yes thats your choice.

But its incredibly hypocritical if someone js against giving money to epic due to its ceo but are willing to give valve ceo money.

Valve has a much much worse history of being shit people. 

@RonnieOP So then reduce the money you give to Steam, as well? FWIW, I used to try and buy as many games as possible through Humble Bundle. It's been a while since I bought a new game though, and I'm not sure if they got bought/who owns them now.

@RonnieOP So then reduce the money you give to Steam, as well? FWIW, I used to try and buy as many games as possible through Humble Bundle. It's been a while since I bought a new game though, and I'm not sure if they got bought/who owns them now.

Im kinda taking this subject in a more broad over view of people outside of you and i. The people that are bashing epic but are willing to get on their knees for valve.

I personally dont care to give my money to either steam, epic, blizzard, etc. When it comes to video games put out a product i like and ill buy and play it.

The launcher doesnt mean anything to me. A game plays the same on steam as it does epic. If the dev that makes a game i want to purchase and play gets a better deal from epic then they do valve then im happy for them. 

@RonnieOP Fair doos. I was just making the point in reference to your first post, that for some of us, there is a good reason to not install the Epic launcher. 

We'll agree to disagree on that one and move on I guess, heh.

Just now, IdlePX said:

@RonnieOP Fair doos. I was just making the point in reference to your first post, that for some of us, there is a good reason to not install the Epic launcher. 

We'll agree to disagree on that one and move on I guess, heh.

Yeah. I was being hyperbolic on the "no good reason" statement. Poor choice of words on my part.

to whomever it may concern, i'm really not gonna beat a dead horse that i've been saying since last year. the sources are out there, you be the judge of how EGS does everything wrong, and how tim sweeney has been repeatedly got caught lying on twitter about it. adios. 

Ive seen plenty of Facebook comments praising/defending Epic and their reason is they give free games.

These are the people who never buy games and don't care about the developers but the second Epic started giving these free games away they suddenly started to care how Steam takes 30% from thesee poor devs.

image.png.69fc0216a15a5051c558342794f424c5.png

For context, the user claims to be an Executive Consultant in his bio. the whole thread is a treat. It's full of Epic shills failing to answer this user's criticisms toward Epic.
------
playing the Victim Card 

xysoxg8xbsl41.jpg

Almost a year old Tweet, Still waiting for some basic features. Didn't age well at all did it?

image.png.29dd6ddb80b21cd891ae9d6739a567f2.png

Timmy talking about Geforce Now. Notice how as always he never says the words "consumer-friendly". This man could not give a shit about the people actually giving him money if he tried

kD5ehx4.jpg

More Lies

yDoSCNM.jpg

I mean come on

99JZuvW.png

Lul

fimnn91fkvj41.jpg

EGS is so great the Devs had to come to steam to share details lol

https://steamcommunity.com/app/219640/discussions/5/1639789306585779109/

image.png.506257f2f2ef14ffe0f075f54a6c1c0f.png

seen plenty of Facebook comments praising/defending Epic and their reason is they give free games.

These are the people who never buy games and don't care about the developers but the second Epic started giving these free games away they suddenly started to care how Steam takes 30% from these poor devs.

This is how you build a monopoly, This is the exact way Amazon got so massive.You basically make huge huge loss and then when you've pushed out everyone out of the market you can start raking in cash like mad.If this would happen they can price gouge like mad, up the cost on just about anything.People who buy into this "but it's free" crap are just shooting them and everyone else in the dick.

This is incredibly dangerous behaviour and people don't even realise it.

4vxtkmgpeqg41.jpg

i could go on and on

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

21 hours ago, IdlePX said:

In that case you need to boycott and flatout not buy any game with the Unreal engine, and good luck with that since it's the worlds most popular engine from both major developers/publishers and indie devs.

#Muricaparrotgang

@JZStudios Quoting the very top line of the post you just quoted...

"You can still actively reduce the money you give to people/companies you don't like."

Heck, reading the whole post...

"Do you still give them money when there are alternatives? I don't. if possible. I shop elsewhere." 

Bold text there, because I don't think you even read the post. If you did, you certainly didn't understand the intent. If I can actively reduce the money I give to a person or company, I can live with myself. Life isn't all about extremes. There's a million shades of grey in-between.