Why do people avoid Epic?

Yogi_DaBear221

China doing their best to follow 1984's step-by-step instructions (because Orwell can waffle on a bit sometimes and it can become difficult to follow) doesn't placate the US of anything and everything.

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Their "free" games aren't something I'm interested in either.

What do you mean by "'free'"? They're yours by the same level as anything else on Epic and Steam.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

I think that sums up the whole exclusivity thing tbh; Epic dangles money in front of developers or whoever, they bite the bills, people get mad at them for biting and at Epic for making the offer. 

I don't know if I have any issue necessarily with that whole premise, at least in the case of small developers that make interesting games that Epic wants. From what I've heard, they offer the developer money in an amount equivalent to what the dev itself expects to get within a certain period. So it can be a good way to get a small dev in a good spot financially. The anti-competitive nature is there, but in the case of Borderlands 3, it's only a timed exclusive. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I don't know if I have any issue necessarily with that whole premise, at least in the case of small developers that make interesting games that Epic wants. From what I've heard, they offer the developer money in an amount equivalent to what the dev itself expects to get within a certain period. So it can be a good way to get a small dev in a good spot financially. The anti-competitive nature is there, but in the case of Borderlands 3, it's only a timed exclusive. 

My biggest problem is when they went for games that people already preordered/backed, that's just sleazy imo.

While I have the "don't preorder" mindset, I get why some people may do it, and I can see how what happened will affect the way they think of the developers. 

Also 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Personally, Epic, Steam, I stopped to use both and switched to buy games on gog, So I can actually own my purchase and be free to use it offline (including having installer offline)

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Asrock AB350 ITX - 64GB DDR4-3600MHz - Geforce GTX 1080 - Samsung 960Pro - Monsterlabo's "The First" - Corsair SF450

Wasn't there also a thread about this lately? I reme,ber that i already wrote up my toughts on that. But well, you are talking about their launcher. Epic Games is a good company and Sweeney a good dev! I like their Engine (switched from Unity) for stability and the availability of premium tools. Their launcher and asset store is great and you get a lot of free assets per month.

But for gaming i will stay on steam - ally my "gaming history" is there, messages from like 12 years ago and stuff. That said steam is a horrible security vunerability but since i only do gaming on this windows machine i do not really care.

Edit: Found it, not really the same topic but the answer is the same.

I am NOT a native english speaker and use translate a lot, please do not take it literally and bear with me.

1 hour ago, Nord1ing said:

I stopped to use both and switched to buy games on gog

I'd like to buy more stuff on GOG as well, but....GOG most has only old games or shit games. Or games that are both old and shit. They rarely get any of the ones I'd be interested or if they do, they get them like 6 years late.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I'd like to buy more stuff on GOG as well, but....GOG most has only old games or shit games. Or games that are both old and shit. They rarely get any of the ones I'd be interested or if they do, they get them like 6 years late.

Also they're a separate branch and newer games never get any updates from the developer.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Also they're a separate branch and newer games never get any updates from the developer.

I had forgotten that, but yes, that's true as well. Now that you remind me, I remember having read complaints about this exact thing myself a couple of times.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I don't like their business practices. They're anti-Linux. I can't stand Tim Sweeney.

Three good reasons for me to avoid Epic.

For what it's worth, I treat most companies like this. If I don't like them, they don't get my money. I haven't bought an EA game since they messed over Ultima Online. Can't say I've seen anything to suggest they're a nicer company since tbh.

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

Theres literally no good reason to avoid epic.

People cant seem to grasp that competition is good for the consumer.

I own a fucktin of steam games & don’t want to search MORE platforms for games. 

Steam, EA, uplay, gog...

i just use steam & EA for titanfall. Too many passwords & things. 

Don't trust it. Don't like same-platform-but-different-store exclusives (I understand console exclusives because those are exclusive to an entire platform, not just one marketplace). Haven't heard good things about the security, and the launcher was resource intensive last I had it installed (back when I mucked about with UE4 a few times). I already have Steam, GOG Galaxy 2.0, Uplay, and Origin opening at startup, don't need to add another store to that list because of the next reason: they don't offer any games I really want that bad. Especially the free ones. If the games are paid and I want them, I'll just wait for the exclusivity to tick over then buy it on my preferred platform, like I did with Borderlands 3. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

25 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Epic is possibly operating at a loss, per Tim Sweeney himself.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Don't trust it. Don't like same-platform-but-different-store exclusives (I understand console exclusives because those are exclusive to an entire platform, not just one marketplace). Haven't heard good things about the security, and the launcher was resource intensive last I had it installed (back when I mucked about with UE4 a few times). I already have Steam, GOG Galaxy 2.0, Uplay, and Origin opening at startup, don't need to add another store to that list because of the next reason: they don't offer any games I really want that bad. Especially the free ones. If the games are paid and I want them, I'll just wait for the exclusivity to tick over then buy it on my preferred platform, like I did with Borderlands 3. 

Why do you set all launchers to load on start up?

Just now, RonnieOP said:

Why do you set all launchers to load on start up?

Because I'm going to launch them anyways. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

26 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Epic trying to become the monopoly is not competition. Something sweeney can't grasp is that taking a smaller cut makes sense if you don't offer many services. I use steam, gog, origin, uplay, itch.io, nutaku, dlsite, and on occasion even the windows store.

Also do remember that epic DENIED an indie dev who wanted their game available on steam as well as epic after declining the exclusivity offer. Yeah epic really cares about competition.

I have them all

Steam, Epic, Origin, Uplay, GOG, Battle.net, bethseda.... i think thats all

I don't understand the exclusivity argument, as technically Steam has had this for years.

I prefer Steam but it wont stop me from getting games and "freebies"  from Epic lol

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

9 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Because I'm going to launch them anyways. 

But...why?

You can only play one game at a time. So why have every launcher running at the same time?

9 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Epic trying to become the monopoly is not competition. Something sweeney can't grasp is that taking a smaller cut makes sense if you don't offer many services. I use steam, gog, origin, uplay, itch.io, nutaku, dlsite, and on occasion even the windows store.

Also do remember that epic DENIED an indie dev who wanted their game available on steam as well as epic after declining the exclusivity offer. Yeah epic really cares about competition.

Its their platform. They dont have to make it available to every game.

1 minute ago, RonnieOP said:

But...why?

You can only play one game at a time. So why have every launcher running at the same time?

I obnly launch them when I need to,

sometimes ill launch them all to update games etc

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

But...why?

Because I flit from title to title in a single gaming session, and my games span multiple launchers. 

Main PC 

4 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Its their platform. They dont have to make it available to every game.

Sure, but when they want the game on their store until they find out the dev doesn't want it to be exclusive, it says a lot about epic. When it comes to competition epic is two-faced. Epic tried poaching darq, the dev declined as they had already announced steam release and a date, and then epic suddenly didn't want it anymore. Yay "competition"...