Steam Controller Production Ended

Rainbow Dash

ss_d2f5e7325666df6119ff1d42be73bac9594c5

Four years after Valve released its oddball Steam Controller, it's not making any more. The controller is on sale today for $5 -- that's 90 percent off its list price of $49.99 -- and a note in the Steam Store warns that there's a limited quantity remaining.

The Steam Controller initially launched back in 2015 (after much revision), as part of Valve's rather half-hearted Steam Machine initiative. Valve has confirmed to The Verge that the current lot of Steam Controllers will be the last ever batch to be produced.

The Steam Store says the controller ships within 4-8 business days but "Delays are expected on new orders due to very high volume."

Source: PC Gamer

Source #2: Engadget

Source #3: EuroGamer

Source #4:The Verge

It is a pretty disappointing thing to hear that there would be no more Steam controllers produced, meaning that the price of these controllers would go up in the coming years as a collectors item. I personally don't really find these controllers to have the best layout since I'm more used to the Playstation controller layout. But if you are looking to get a Christmas gift for someone this year, then this would be a great deal if you exclude the shipping costs.

7 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

ss_d2f5e7325666df6119ff1d42be73bac9594c5

Source: PC Gamer

Source #2: Engadget

Source #3: EuroGamer

Source #4:The Verge

It is a pretty disappointing thing to hear that there would be no more Steam controllers produced, meaning that the price of these controllers would go up in the coming years as a collectors item. I personally don't really find these controllers to have the best layout since I'm more used to the Playstation controller layout. But if you are looking to get a Christmas gift for someone this year, then this would be a great deal if you exclude the shipping costs.

yees, Hopefully i can get one as my mother and I are more used to the controller layouts

✨FNIGE✨

32 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Four years after Valve released its oddball Steam Controller, it's not making any more. The controller is on sale today for $5 -- that's 90 percent off its list price of $49.99 -- and a note in the Steam Store warns that there's a limited quantity remaining.

I click that link in Australia and steam says to go here:

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/pc/222648-steam-controller

ha how about no.

Got one while the getting was good.  I have always wondered how this would work in say GTA online.  Can't wait to try it out. 

never really considered this controller at its normal price point. but for $5(plus $8 shipping), its hard to turn down.

did the same thing when they discontinued steam link.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

8 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

never really considered this controller at its normal price point. but for $5(plus $8 shipping), its hard to turn down.

did the same thing when they discontinued steam link.

I picked up a link for my oldest

daughter when they went on sale so she could play games while I’m gone without having to risk messing up my system. Worked pretty well for the type

of games she played (mostly old lego

games)

22 minutes ago, Hugh54321 said:

Dont buy one. They suck and they dont work in rocket league. Better to buy an xbox controller

It's literally $5. Find me a better controller, used or new, for $5.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

28 minutes ago, Hugh54321 said:

Dont buy one. They suck and they dont work in rocket league. Better to buy an xbox controller

They do work, rocket league even has its own controller profile from the devs. The issue is its not a standard controller when people expect it to be. Its a tinkerer's device more than a generic plug and play type of device. I love mine and its been my standard controller since launch. From what I gather in a quick search it looks like rocket league had a beta implementation of the steam input api and it wasn't working correctly and the fix was to change input settings from steam input back to steam controller. I could be wrong but I've not touched the game in years.

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

I click that link in Australia and steam says to go here:

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/pc/222648-steam-controller

ha how about no.

They bumped the price of my Logitech F310 from $25 to $50. And new PS4 controllers...still $100. My 3DS (new but not new if you get what I mean) was fucking cheaper than that.
Then again, EB also sells second hand consoles at higher prices than other retailers sell them new with games so they really should be avoided. Limited Battlefront 1TB PS4 for $50 less than a second hand 500GB...

29 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It's literally $5. Find me a better controller, used or new, for $5.

Ever had a friend go to throw out an Xbox controller...then you spend around $5 on an adaptor for it?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

maybe i should get one for shits and giggles

edit: or not, fucking eb games

@Dabombinable @Spotty i sent an equiry to EB to see if they would reduce price of their own stock, or honour the new prices on an individual basis. i can let you know the reponse if you like?

i'm not holding my breath though

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Wasn't available in Canada anyhow. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

11 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i did

thinking about ordering another just for another shit and giggles

I really want one. :(

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, Hugh54321 said:

I played over 700h in Rocket League with it, what do you mean they dont work in RL? :D

I got it when it launched, never touched my XBOX controller since. Batteries last ages, has both wi-fi dongle to PC or Bluetooth to TV/Phone and even cable if you run out of batteries.

36 minutes ago, Arika S said:

@Dabombinable @Spotty i sent an equiry to EB to see if they would reduce price of their own stock, or honour the new prices on an individual basis. i can let you know the reponse if you like?

i'm not holding my breath though

Nah. Just checked my local EB stores stock and they're all sold out anyway. Probably haven't been stocking it for a while.
Not that I would have went to get one anyway. Looks a little janky and I don't really play a lot of games that would benefit from a controller.

Still stupid that they were charging $90 for it though, especially when full price was $50 USD which is $70 AUD.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Unfortunately it looks like in the UK it sold out on Steam so UK peeps will need to buy one off a 3rd party. Found some on Amazon starting at £37.95 used or £70 ish new.

what a scam.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

That's a shame, I felt the controller worked well. It was not as groundbreaking as intended but still a solid alternative to mouse and keyboard for AAA games.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

You can import the ones from steam cheaper than EB will ever lower their price thats for sure.

time to buy a third one

one of the best controller i've ever used

sad to see them go though

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Yeah right, as if these will ever be a collector's item. They're decently built, but my god, are they annoying to use.

Source, own one. Tried to play TF2 and various emulated games with them. It sucks.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Ordered 2. One to use, one to keep until value goes up like crazy

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Unfortunately it looks like in the UK it sold out on Steam so UK peeps will need to buy one off a 3rd party. Found some on Amazon starting at £37.95 used or £70 ish new.

what a scam.

keep on refreshing. it was out there of stock for me too, kept on refreshing, ordered 2 of them. 

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

what a scam.

I just bought one just now so must have restocked.

Don't know why I bought it mind you, I have no use for it...but hey ?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications