Steam Controller Production Ended

Rainbow Dash

This is, to this day, the only controller I can stand to use more than passively. It's one of the best gaming peripherals ever made. I'm really disappointed to see it go.

Though I wonder: Does this mean we might be getting a V2? They said some time ago that such a thing might happen, but I wonder if they have any incentive to.

If it is just going away period, this is actually quite frustrating. I used to get actually angry at reviews where people tried it for all of five minutes without configuring it at all then condemned it as awkward and useless, because while there was nothing wrong with not liking it, I knew that people not even giving it a chance would do something like this. Now, unless of course they intend to make a V2, if my SC goes kaput, that's it...

Guess I have to try and keep it going myself.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

7 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Does this mean we might be getting a V2? They said some time ago that such a thing might happen, but I wonder if they have any incentive to.

Is it possible to adapt Index controller to play normal game? ?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 11/28/2019 at 1:33 AM, Hugh54321 said:

Dont buy one. They suck and they dont work in rocket league. Better to buy an xbox controller

Ha I got to diamond using one

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

11 hours ago, Waffles13 said:

Just go to a hardware store and buy a sheet of plywood for $3. Or pull a shelf out of any old bookshelf or closet. 

"Flat, solid surface" is not exactly the holy grail. 

Its still a bit clunky though

2 hours ago, davide30541 said:

i just got an email stating they are refunding me for the 2 controllers i bought....

Seems to be the thing. There's rumors that possibly all 27.-28.11. and later orders of 1 or 2 controllers are refunded and even some orders from 26.11. even so much that people with tracking numbers or even the controller already delivered have gotten refunds, bigger orders might have gone through and apparently few big bulk buyers would have emptied the warehouses. But those are only rumors, I still think that Valve just made a big good pile of shit and left the office for eating turkey and getting fatter and when they come back at monday they are faced with controller sale that went batshit crazy because no one was watching it and pulling the plug when stock and order amounts went haywire.

On 11/28/2019 at 3:55 PM, Arika S said:

maybe i should get one for shits and giggles

edit: or not, fucking eb games

@Dabombinable @Spotty i sent an equiry to EB to see if they would reduce price of their own stock, or honour the new prices on an individual basis. i can let you know the reponse if you like?

i'm not holding my breath though

JB usually price match.

On 11/28/2019 at 11:02 PM, minibois said:

..... How or why did you quote me from another thread??? o.O

(I know how you could do it.. But in that  case.. why?! And if you didn't do it on purpose.. How?!)

you can? i wanna know how

✨FNIGE✨

On 11/30/2019 at 3:01 AM, xAcid9 said:

Is it possible to adapt Index controller to play normal game? ?

Not sure, but it wouldn't be great. Most of the control you get there is from motion and finger tracking. If you get rid of that, which is only useful for VR, you're left with two sticks, two triggers, four buttons, and two pathetic trackpads that are hardly more than scroll wheels. So, at best only slightly better than most twin-stick controllers, and at worst an awkward and unwieldy non-solution to the problem.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

ugh out of stock.. too bad. Well I guess I wasnt planning on buying one, and I guess I wont have one.. Seems like I didnt lose anything haha :)

@SlimyPython In the past with the BBCode forum setup it was much easier, because you could just press quote in one thread, go to BBCode, copy and paste it into the other thread.

Nowadays it's still easy, but not as... Intuitive? Clear to the user it's possible?

On 11/24/2019 at 11:29 PM, SlimyPython said:

Twitch needs bandaids... I wonder how much itll cost though

^Grabbed from another thread, just press the little arrow button on the top right of the quote!

Anyways, (on desktop) you just click the move icon:

image.png.c42e79c1c920ceea8a2fa157ef70e42f.png

And simply copy (Ctrl+C) and just paste (where ever you want with Ctrl+V)

But to stay on topic, my Steam Controller I ordered last week has shipped and will arrive today!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 11/30/2019 at 1:30 PM, davide30541 said:

i just got an email stating they are refunding me for the 2 controllers i bought....

Same here for the 1 I thought had gone through.

Valve seems to struggle with selling hardware things, and given their track history, I am not surprised.

While people here seem to love the controller design, I for one cannot understand how it is even usable. It tries to blend in the best of controllers and mice, but the end result of that is an abomination that is really only beneficial to those who a) never really used a controller before, and find them really challenging to adjust to, b) strongly prefer touch controls over physical-analog controls, or c) have fully entrenched themselves in the nonsense PCMR cult (taking it fully seriously) and refuse to use anything remotely relevant to a gaming console simply on the basis of them being used on consoles

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

3 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

Valve seems to struggle with selling hardware things, and given their track history, I am not surprised.

While people here seem to love the controller design, I for one cannot understand how it is even usable. It tries to blend in the best of controllers and mice, but the end result of that is an abomination that is really only beneficial to those who a) never really used a controller before, and find them really challenging to adjust to, b) strongly prefer touch controls over physical-analog controls, or c) have fully entrenched themselves in the nonsense PCMR cult (taking it fully seriously) and refuse to use anything remotely relevant to a gaming console simply on the basis of them being used on consoles

Lul true. I still bought one last week when on sale just for the fun of it. Dirt cheap. Be fun to try. 

4 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

It tries to blend in the best of controllers and mice, but the end result of that is an abomination that is really only beneficial to those who

a) never really used a controller before, and find them really challenging to adjust to,

b) strongly prefer touch controls over physical-analog controls, or

c) have fully entrenched themselves in the nonsense PCMR cult (taking it fully seriously) and refuse to use anything remotely relevant to a gaming console simply on the basis of them being used on consoles

Personally I identify as camp d): People simply too interested in how the experience would be who would like to use it. Perhaps for some laid back mouse-like games.

Little update on my 'I should get it today': I didn't get it today :( Apparently it arrived in the main shipping depot later afternoon today (while it was actually suppose to arrive today), but that's not that far away; so I suspect I hopefully can get it tomorrow.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

15 hours ago, minibois said:

Nowadays it's still easy, but not as... Intuitive? Clear to the user it's possible?

^Grabbed from another thread, just press the little arrow button on the top right of the quote!

But to stay on topic, my Steam Controller I ordered last week has shipped and will arrive today!

actually its super easy.  just hit the 'multi-quote' button and go to another thread, itll let you drop it in.

ordered mine the 26th, and it still "shipping soon"

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

If they restock the UK store, I'm picking up a second one. I only use it for things like rts, where it really shines. I think trying to use it in a shooter would be tricky and not entirely what it was designed to do?

It works especially well on my emulation box, instead of me buying a wireless mouse and keyboard 

edit: Oh look what conveniently just appeared on my local marketplace...  ?

Screenshot_20191203-074647.png

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

2 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

If they restock the UK store, I'm picking up a second one. I only use it for things like rts, where it really shines. I think trying to use it in a shooter would be tricky and not entirely what it was designed to do?

It works especially well on my emulation box, instead of me buying a wireless mouse and keyboard 

edit: Oh look what conveniently just appeared on my local marketplace...  ?

Screenshot_20191203-074647.png

Just got an email saying they won't get new stock in the UK. :(

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

?????

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

Valve/Steam only has two warehouses in the world: in Carol Stream, Illinois, US and in Tilburg, Netherlands. So I would guess they only have 2 hardware selling areas (NA and EU) and prices are just shown in different currencies.

Also this is the official message from Valve/Steam about cancelled orders:

Hello [username],

Due to a technical issue during our recent sale, we mistakenly took more orders for the Steam Controller than we were able to fulfill, including yours.

Currently there are no plans to produce more of this product, so we are unable to send you a Steam Controller and have prompted a full refund of your purchase.

Please note some payment methods may take several business days to show the refunded amount has returned to your account.

We sincerely apologize for the confusion and inconvenience.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Steam Support.

5 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Valve/Steam only has two warehouses in the world: in Carol Stream, Illinois, US and in Tilburg, Netherlands. So I would guess they only have 2 hardware selling areas (NA and EU) and prices are just shown in different currencies.

Also this is the official message from Valve/Steam about cancelled orders:

Ah, you are right. My early morning brain thought they mentioned specifically UK stock. But I guess this does stand for any stock then. :(

Goodbye crappy controller designed by Crabpeople.

Spoiler

For Crabpeople.

Spoiler

Of Crabpeople.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I never got the hang of this controller.  Picked one up when they had a bundle with Sekiro.  I enjoyed playing Bloodborne and Dark Souls with a controller and figured this was a natural transition to controller gaming on a PC.

I just could not get use to using the touch pad...  

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I never had an issue with gaming, but I definitely struggled with scrolling in browsers. I suspect, like all things steam controller, it was an issue with my profile that could have been remedied. I just grab the scroll bar and drag these days.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷