Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

Hi Linus, i am currently studying to be a game artist and am looking into buying a surface book 2, Purley for its touch screen and folding capabilities, i need it for painting and drawing on Photoshop and using 3d modelling software such as 3Ds max so that i can do work on the go and at home. I was wandering if you could do a video about these touch screen type laptops comparing them and similar products so i can find out weather i should save up for a surface book 2 or a cheaper alternative or even something completely different.

Edited by SansVarnic
removed double quotes

Could you create a video that's a deep dive into gaming and professional hardware compared to regular non branded items?

I am tired of having to explain to people that just because it is advertised for gaming doesn't mean it can't do other stuff and that in most cases the gaming hardware is going to hold up better than cheaper items.

It would be nice to have a video to just link to that shows examples of this. Like of course gaming chairs are bogus so would be nice to have a roundup video of all the things. Where the cost goes, if the quality can be better, why gaming related features would be beneficial and not something to run away from etc.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

You should review this program serviio. https://www.serviio.org/ 

this program is amazing it's way better then plex. serviio "Serviio is a free media server. It allows you to stream your media files (music, video or images) to renderer devices (e.g. a TV set, Bluray player, games console or mobile phone) on your connected home network."  

Try the program you will not disappointed 

a showcase or guide on SBC-XQ royalty free bluetooth codec upgrade would be nice.

I'd love to see Linus screaming at his hard drive array (spinning drives) and showing the error rates. Kindof like the ZFS video here:

Oh, BTW, when you put a mix of drives, you want the spinning drives on the edges (top/bottom/right/left) because those areas have the least vibration. You put the SSD's in the middle.

I think a video on all the different types of audio gear would be cool. DAC's, Pre-amps, power amps, integrated amps, power conditioners etc.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

how about being able to connect two modems on a split suddenlink line

so that they do not interfere with one another

Ignore if it has already been done but

How about comparing expensive high-end digicam against high-end 'real film' photo cameras?

I remember reading some years ago (probably over a decade - I'm old :P) that no matter how good digicams were their sensors were no match for real film. Has it changed and by how much?

Again if it has been done already just point the link and ignore me 😅

Can you do a video on why the BTX formfactor got killed? It was meant to replace the ATX family, and the orientation of the RAM slots had been changed to maximize airflow. On paper, it should have been the logical next step in improving performance. I had asked this question in a thread here, and the best response was due to CPU power management rendered it obsolete.

But that still doesn't seem reason enough to just yeet it into the dust bin, especially given how CPUs are guaranteed to always become hotter and hotter.

In the very recent video, Riley called a new 12-volt only PSU "basement tier" without realizing its actual performance and legal implication.

Make a Techquickie explaining the new PSU standard, i.e., ATX12VO and shows its (dis)advantages over the older ATX12V (with 24-pin connector) standard.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

A new video idea is how to connect onehome network to another using VPN. The idea here is to have two houses connected with an always on connection and their two LANs appear as one. Each house would still use their own local internet gateway and service connection for all internet usage.

id like to see a video about how GPU manufacturers get the go ahead from nvdia and AMD to use their chipsets and drivers.

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

On 3/31/2020 at 4:35 AM, mon1ka said:

id like to see a video about how GPU manufacturers get the go ahead from nvdia and AMD to use their chipsets and drivers.

That's a great idea, I think this would make a great TechQuickie video.

• 3 weeks later...

fps vs hz

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

So in these corona times when we're all in an endless teams/skype call probably a great time to make a video about one of the mysteries of the universe:

how to make your audio output:

1) actually output and

2) output where you want it to output (headset, speakers, monitor?) 

In the past I associated the mystical behavior of my audio output to the fact that I was always plunging and unplugging my pc to office/home monitor (bcs one of the monitor has sounds?) but these days I just accepted that spotify wont output from my docking station as everyone else...

You should have te macro king review xpadder, you can use any gamepad for macros or any other key'd/mouse command, everybutton being customizable, id reccomend an old otherwise useless nostromo gamepad shouldbe amazing for hotkeys and macros

I think that would be an interesting topic to cover. Or why do cable plugs shaped the way they are?

Personally I want to know why aren't all cable plugs circular, so they could be plugged without a fail.

pin density. it is hard to get more than 4 on a circular  system.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 minutes ago, AZbooka said:

I think that would be an interesting topic to cover. Or why do cable plugs shaped the way they are?

Personally I want to know why aren't all cable plugs circular, so they could be plugged without a fail.

19 pin USB Type C would be pretty insane with a 3.5mm like circular jack plug.

Some electrical designs just do not lend themselves well to the same plug design.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Most connectors aren't reversible/rotatable, so a round plug is actually kind of a terrible idea for most things. Even two-way reversibility (i.e. USB Type C) often is achieved just by doubling each pin (or, in the case of USB Type C, having interchangeable connections, i.e. TX1 can be connected to TX2 without a problem, since they're the same type of connection and labelling 1 or 2 is arbitrary). To make it round, you'd have to go coaxial (which is limited to either 2 conductors in a core/sleeve configuration, e.g. F-connectors from your TV antenna, or a few more in a TR...S configuration, like a headset plug), or have it be directional anyway (as in a PS/2 connector). The best option is the TR..S configuration, but doing more than TRRRS (5 conductors) would be ridiculously long.

And that's not even including that different connectors use different shapes to be able to easily tell the difference and prevent cross-connects. It's frustrating enough that USB Type A can basically fit in an RJ-45 jack (though the conductors are in entirely different places, so it won't make a connection). If everything was TR..S, then you'd have to use different sizes to prevent cross-connects, and there's only so many diameters available without either getting ridiculously large, or having so little difference between them that there's no way to prevent plugging something into the wrong spot. It could be really bad to, say, plug your headphones (which expect a couple volts at most) into a TRRS USB 2.0 spot (fun fact, USB 2.0 is only 4 conductors, so it could theoretically be a TRRS) that suddenly blasts it with 5V. Different shapes are useful from a human-interface perspective.