Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

A video about the use, risks and benefits of corona tracking apps. If it doesn't nuke monetization of course 😜

An As Fast As Possible covering all of the typical video game graphics settings, visual representations of what they do, and how much performance each will use would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

RAM kit vs multiple individual sticks of RAM

example: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM kit(2 x 8GB) vs Same brand and specs(on paper, not the real specs like the chips used, brand of the chips amd etc,.) but bought individually bought.

Linus, my wife will only let me have a new computer if she gets a hot tub. How many RTX 2080Ti's does it take to heat a HotTub to 40 Degrees?

With the growing popularity of AMD processors (and kind of gpus but not as much), I have seen an large number of posts here asking if AMD processors are compatible with Nvidia graphics cards and if Intel CPUs work with AMD GPUs. It would be great if you could do a video explaining that even though they are different brands they will still work together.

If that doesnt make a long enough video, maybe add in how other component manufacturers are compatible with each other but some things like rgb might not sync between them. You could also talk about how some connectors are proprietary and might not work with other components.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

@LinusTech

Review of 3rd party phone unlock services undercover.

Spoiler

F**k boost mobile.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Consider updates on past subjects. Also, explain the differences and similarities between micro-processors and micro-controllers, little vs big Endian systems as well as explaining the origins of various programming languages (multiple part series!).

knock knock

Ah Mr Young, we've been expecting you!

🤓

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Hey, LMG!

I would like you guys to do a Techquickie video explaining why every audio manager interface that comes with the audio drivers like Realtek or VIA are always a stupid bloatware. Like... Windows audio managment is just fine. Why the heck would I need SOUND AMBIENTS EFFECTS like BATHROOM or CATHEDRAL effect?! Or even other settings that I can already change on windows itself?

Thanks! 🙂

image.jpg

On 4/25/2013 at 11:11 AM, LinusTech said:

The old thread in the vBulletin forum got lost in the migration (don't worry I still have access to it and I'll still look at it) so I'm creating a new one.

Guidelines

1. Video should be possible to watch in 1-2 minutes.
 2. No elaborate props. If we can't shoot it in the white box with a couple of demonstrative pieces, it's probably not feasible.
 3. Keep it simple! The idea here is to simplify computer concepts to the point where your mom can understand it. Not looking for "how to peel the ramspreaders off your memory"

I will read these suggestions, but I may not reply to this thread very often. That doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, it just means I'm busy creating lots of new video content 

If you haven't heard of Tech Quickie, it's another YouTube channel we run for paid content and the ever-popular "Fast As Possible" series.

Techquickie's channel - YouTube

Learn about the latest cool technology in only a couple minutes! Hosted by Linus Sebastian

Dear Linus Tech Tips, 

I’ve just recently entered the confusing realm of computer building and your videos have helped a lot. During my first independent build I encountered a problem while reusing parts from an older computer. To be safe I “Darik’s boot and Nuked an old HDD and re-downloaded windows and all the drivers. Personally, I don’t know whether I’d ever need to “nuke” a hard drive to avoid problems or just do a clean install of Drivers. I think this would be a great concept to answer in a video. If I ever swap out a graphics card or CPU what sort of changes do I need to make to Software to avoid problems? How do I know for myself? I thinks it’s particularly overwhelming to think of how many possible changes I could make?

Thanks for your consideration, stay safe

What HDMI ARC and eARC is and how it can simplify your home tv / theater setup.

What are CUDA cores  ? / What can CUDA cores be used for other than gaming ? / What can your GPUs be used for other than gaming ?

• 2 weeks later...

as fast as possible: why overclocking laptop cpus is a bad idea.

want to install chrome os? here's how.

"If elevators hadn't been invented, all the CEOs and important people would have their offices on the first floor as a sign of status...........

....And the entry level employees would be up on the 80th floor."

A lot of people have wondered about how much VRAM you need with the 3080 having 10 Gb and Big Navi rumored to have 16 Gb. Especially for 4K and VR where I assume the textures need higher VRAM. This could potentially be a LTT video given the hype of the new graphics cards, but I could also see this as a Tech Quickie as well.

• 2 weeks later...

just fing out that you can submerge like whole motherboard in to water, but not just regulat water, "dry water" called "Novec" produced by 3M, it actualy used as termal jiquid in hardware cooling solutions, but why put it in colling colution when you can PUT YOUR PC IN TO IT!? XD nevermind that video on russian, on 12:00 under stress test cpu isnt throtteld

CPU: R7 2700X GPU: RTX2080 RAM:16Gb NVMe SSD: 1Tb Samsung 960 EVO MoBo: ASUS Prime X470-Pro

Can you guys make a quick video about DirectStorage?

This is going to come out later but nobody says what the actual requirements are. If someone wants to build a PC right now but they want to use DirectStorage in January what exactly do they need to have in their system? I think that video would be pretty popular.

On 4/25/2013 at 8:41 PM, LinusTech said:

The old thread in the vBulletin forum got lost in the migration (don't worry I still have access to it and I'll still look at it) so I'm creating a new one.

Guidelines

1. Video should be possible to watch in 1-2 minutes.
 2. No elaborate props. If we can't shoot it in the white box with a couple of demonstrative pieces, it's probably not feasible.
 3. Keep it simple! The idea here is to simplify computer concepts to the point where your mom can understand it. Not looking for "how to peel the ramspreaders off your memory"

I will read these suggestions, but I may not reply to this thread very often. That doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, it just means I'm busy creating lots of new video content 

If you haven't heard of Tech Quickie, it's another YouTube channel we run for paid content and the ever-popular "Fast As Possible" series.

Techquickie's channel - YouTube

Learn about the latest cool technology in only a couple minutes! Hosted by Linus Sebastian

Linus you can make an video on how does ping effects fps and secondly there's not that much video's on it that are explained from the base

Video Suggestions.

1.) a LINUX KVM video - showing how to make a ((GOOD)) gaming windows VM on a FREE Hypervisor.
(I'm available for assistance if you need)

2.) SLI/Multi-GPU video explaining batch processing/post-processing,
- and explaining why High Latency tasks use mutli-GPUs better
- and why Gaming mutliGPU would require communications as fast as the memory bandwidth to be useful. (at high framerates)

3.) Video exploring direct wireless (LAN) networking to a laptop (and WAN options if you wish)
- - For the purpose of streaming from a desktop (games) (use steam link)
- - and file transfer/general networking.
Such a video would be useful for those with a companion laptop.

4.) Video exploring/Explaining a [RAM Drive] acting as [SUPERFETCH] [Disk Cache], with ram disk [SWAP] on a [dedicated NVME]
- and how that is "neat" for games.

5.) running windows to go on an sd-card. (redux) with the following changes...
- - Class [a2] [UHS-ii] on USB 3.0 UHS-II reader. (unless you can be sure an internal reader is on a USB3.0 bus.)

6.) Running Android x86 on a decent touch-screen laptop.
- Intel works "Correctly".
- Nvidia works correctly on archs that share tech with ARM-NVIDIA boards.
- AMD: Im actually not sure about this one... untested.

7.) Video Demonstrating uncommon [Hardware] raid formats. (IE: raid 2)
- Note: Video playing with raid 2.

8.) Video Rooting an android and installing adblocking.

9.) Video using VR to render 3 desktops and doing something functional that you would do on 3 monitors.

10.) Video where you use a raspberry pi 4, and a usb 3.0+ "very fast" native Accesspoint compatible WIFI card, to create a "VERY FAST" (and cheap) gaming router - with a low latency linux distro

OPTIONAL: 

1O.) Video using a "KILL-A-WATT" (or whatever brand you want)
- to demonstrate actual power use by computer components.

IE: a 3090 (and its companion motherboard/components) and why an 800 watt, and even a 600 watt power supply (rated at 80%) is
"totally enough" for a "not overclocked" (normal/stock) system.

2O.) Theres an adapter that lets you link 2 power supplies safely...
- You can connect Motherboard and GPU to 1 of them...
- then the CPU "EATX12V_... to another (smaller but "good") slim (MATX) power supply.
This results in better EM isolation and [can mean] more stable overclocks, (the science is relevant to memory communications) and certainly EMF noise reduction (for audiophiles.)
(i prefer to run at least 2 power supplies)
> One dedicated to CPU power.
> However im thinking of getting a GPU PSU, because I like the idea of all dynamic V (high powered) components having dedicated PSUs.

Suggestion for a TQ video: 

Is Antivirus software really necessary in 2020?

Unless you live on Starbucks Wifi using Windows 7 without security patches, there's no real reason to have AV software like AVG and Malwarebites. Only 24/7 AV coverage you need in 2020 is for live downloads of sketchy files. If you're not downloading sketchy files, you don't need 24/7 AV. Period. Tools like ADW can check one-time for viruses and don't require a full install. 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.