Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

How does sputtercoating work

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

Can you make a video about server PSU. Why and how they are smaller than desktop PSUs. What are the different connectors and how are they different. Also about new standards coming to PSU(like 12V connectors or any new ones about to come).

This one has been bugging me for a while, and I'm fairly "I'll just Google it until I understand," but I still can't get a handle on it: The various HDR color spaces, and how they relate to VESA HDR certifications for monitors vs certifications for TVs.

Example: in cyberpunk or farcry 5 there are multiple options for HDR colors spaces. EG: hdrpq, hdrsrgb, and so forth.

What exactly do those mean? Which one should I choose? Or more specifically, how do I find out which one to choose for my use case?

I would like to suggest a video idea for TechQuickie, the title itself might explain what I'm thinking: "Will South Bridge ever die?"

With LastPass going to limit their free tier soon, would it be a good idea to do a "password manager as fast as possible" kind of thing? Maybe can add in a breakdown between popular ones? I reckon this may be helpful to a lot of people in this community / channel?

• 3 weeks later...

Build an ancient computer; something our younger audience has probably never seen before.  Maybe something with an actual (floppy) floppy disc that played those ancient pixelated computer games.  I remember my dad brought home an IBM green screen as a kid that only had command prompt.

CPU: Ryzen 5900X | GPU: ASRock 6900XT | Drive: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 1TB (x2) | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 64GB DDR4 3600 14-15-15-35 | MB: MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Case: Fractal Design Define 7

Yes, I share it with friends, and bought this at MSRP.  I was a listmaster for several days in NY.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually two ideas:

1st - New channel or series,  something like LTT for Dummies, where you could explain where to start with builds, OS, software, etc. Starting with basic things like installing OS, making sure everything is set correctly to setting up UnRaid and building home nas/custom pc's etc, just something with basics for people who just start playing around with computers and have 0 experience. 

2nd - Sound system for computers, I know you can do it with AV Amp and speakers but what about all PC dedicated system, which one is best and why?

A TechQuickie video could explain the differences in ATX power supply standards and what to look for when buying a motherboard to ensure you have the correct and compatible power supply.Newegg.com lists ATX, ATX12V, and ATX12V/EPS12V power supplies.

Hope this is the topic that is still read, for video suggestions. 

I recently experienced a huge disappointment with AMD Threadripper and Rtx3090. Because there is no official quality certification entity for them, I feel they can get away with many issues. Maybe having the "Right to Repair" laws will expose some of them. 

With the current shortage, there is a huge gap on benchmark submissions from the community which can lead to going over the 30 day period where you can return a product. 

My experience relates to the problematic combination of a Threadripper 3970x and a RTX3090.

Video suggestion. Threadripper issue when used as a gaming rig. 

There is a clear view of this issue based on the submitted samples on 3DMark, (To not include links here), please search for 3970x and 3090. There are two "bumps" one that is really low and one that is more "expected". Lower end on GPU is similar to 2080, meaning that in this scenario any investment would be a (big) waste of money. 

I recently found a way to improve the performance of the GPU by enabling a "gaming mode"(in Bios) in My AsRock Taichi TRx40 MB. now my GPU scores are ~18k, but the solution was to... cut the CPU CORES to 16.  

With this configuration the GPU is performing as expected but CPU score are still low on 3DMark TimeSpy. This also is reflected in games where FPS are low compared with the combination of 5950x-3090. For example Quake Campions(all low settings 100% resolution 1440p) is around 230 FPS, compared to ~460FPS.

There is a clear bottleneck and honestly I am battling some tech supports threads to find it. Maybe LTT, having the mentioned hardware would do a more scientific research on them, and share some OC settings that would make a Threadripper 3 series NOT a "waste of money" but rather an "overkill" choice.

I would like to keep my 3970x as I need it for multiple VM Setup, but would not make sense if I need to "switch" to gaming mode in bios, every time I would like to play some games.

S0(modern standby) vs S3(deep sleep) power states. IMO Laptop manufacturers must include an option in BIOS to re-enable S3 power state.

I would love to see a LTT video take on the process of installing openpilot from comm.ai onto a smartphone mounted on the windshield of a car and see how well it actually works.

I was considering playing with it myself but my vehicle isn't supported by the software yet.

https://github.com/commaai

DIY smartphone?

I've seen quite a few DIY tablets on Youtube (a bigger screen makes it easier to pack a Raspberry Pi, a battery, speakers and all the wires under it), so, it's not that innovative. A smartphone is a different story. I've seen only a couple of projects like this on Youtube (e.g.

) - and, with all due respect  they are not looking super impressive. Could LTT with all its fancy machinery and engineering talent do better? 🙂

The basis could be something like RPi Zero W for saving space and power. Then one needs a screen, a cellular module (preferably LTE), a mic, a speaker, a battery, maybe a camera (if you could find a way to fit it), a 3D printer for a case, and A LOT of thought on how to put it all together 🙂 There may be some work on the software side too, and the default Raspberry Pi OS desktop is not super touch friendly by default (but with something like a Cairo Dock, one can make it a bit more usable on a small touch screen, I tested it personally 🙂).

Making a video about last windows update :

- Had a perfectly work station for year until recent update ( that got stopped ! )

Now I have daily crash / BSOD twice a day to the least : And it seems to affect a lot of people !

Idea: Bring in a registered nurse and do a blood powered watercooling loop 
"Hook yourself and cook yourself on a watercooling loop"

No reservoir, no radiator, both of those are taken care of by whatever poor LTT staff member gets chosen for this 😂 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi linus,   

Can i suggest a collaboration with "TITANS of CNC: Academy" on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc2lUKVOTXKlQR7Fm7h1JfQ

The content between yourselfs would be epic and i think they could use a seriously good upgrade for there entire state of the art facility they have just built in texas!

❤️

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope linus reads this, so I'm even tagging him @LinusTech, So I also made a thread about this. So can you open a program, open it multiple times, but they are all linked together? Like in thhe game Oxygen Not included, traxking each dupe on it's own would be beneficial, also I can see other people making use of it. So is it possiblem, or just a far fetched dream, or even linux can do it

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of the fastest video card, find the cheapest that still delivers a punch. Current market breaks going for good cards...

Key combo and touch pad gestures.

Using keyboard and touch pad for better multitasking on a laptop.

eg: 4 finger swipe left or right on windows laptop to switch between desktop also equal to ctrl + win key + left or right key.

4 finger swipe up to view/switch between all opened programs and desktop and swiping down minimizes all opened programs.

What is TPM 2.0 req. for windows 11? Does it affect changing PC components in case of failure

• 3 weeks later...

Everything about Filesystem

There are lot of filesystems (fs); FAT32, NTSF, exFAT, ext4, etc... but why does every OS has it's own fs?

Sure, we had to upgrade from the 32bit FAT32, to store more than 4GB of data, but why not make FAT64 or exFAT the standard? Because a lot of devices only support FAT32, so I need to always reformat my drive, and/or split my files.

Disk defragmenting and is it still relevant? (The history of if would be cool to hear about at the very least)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The cleaning of PCI-E and Memory slots (or other) when corrosion may occur. 

The cleaning of memory pads or CPU pads, get them shiny again quick!