Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

Why does Intel constantly change sockets vs why has AMD had AM4 locked in place for a few years? 

possible questions to explain:

-any advantages /disadvantages to either Intels or AMDs design?    does it favor the company, the consumer, or both? 

-does it limit AMDs feature list to stay with the same socket for so long?   does it allow Intel to add features with each socket revision?

-are all the pins used on a ryzen 1600 vs a 3600 for example or were there unused pins in early ryzen just to future proof the design? 

- do am4 motherboard venders suffer lower sales with less frequent upgrade cycles? 

-are they less likely to offer more choice and board features due to possible lower sales?

-do recent 570 boards benefit more from the venders having experienced am4 for years vs having to always change for intel? 

-does intel REALLY need to change sockets constantly?  like is it a technical reason or just intel being on top so they could do what they wanted

-will intel adopt this path in the future? 

-will amd do the same again and lock am5 or whatever the next socket is for a set period in the future? 

-have sockets always changed/not changed in this way historically?

Edited by smatts
typo

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s | Corsair Dominator Platinum (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 | GeForce RTX 3080 VISION OC 10G | Lian iO1Dyamic | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W | Acer Predator X34 P | Acer XB271HU | NZXT Kraken Z73

What is F@H/BOINC/other distributed computing projects?

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

On 4/25/2013 at 5:11 PM, LinusTech said:

The old thread in the vBulletin forum got lost in the migration (don't worry I still have access to it and I'll still look at it) so I'm creating a new one.

Guidelines

1. Video should be possible to watch in 1-2 minutes.
 2. No elaborate props. If we can't shoot it in the white box with a couple of demonstrative pieces, it's probably not feasible.
 3. Keep it simple! The idea here is to simplify computer concepts to the point where your mom can understand it. Not looking for "how to peel the ramspreaders off your memory"

I will read these suggestions, but I may not reply to this thread very often. That doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, it just means I'm busy creating lots of new video content 

If you haven't heard of Tech Quickie, it's another YouTube channel we run for paid content and the ever-popular "Fast As Possible" series.

Techquickie's channel - YouTube

Learn about the latest cool technology in only a couple minutes! Hosted by Linus Sebastian

ARE COMPUTER CLEANING SOFTWARES ACTUALLY USEFUL? (CCleaner...)

• 4 weeks later...

Certificate Authority.

It's a deep rabbit hole you can go down, but a TL;DR would be fun to watch

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

Here's an interesting idea for a Techquickie:

Why do some technologies hold up over time better than others? For example: I still use my Dad's old B&W hifi stereo that he bought in the 80s and it sounds excellent, but I would never consider using a monitor from the 80s. People still use IBM Model M keyboards and love them, but you wouldn't use a projector that's more than a few years old.

Food for thought!

A Techquickie suggestion:

When or why should you upgrade your BIOS? I have been through the LTT and Techquickie library and had not seen any videos addressing this topic.

Differentiate the Arm processor IP, what is a Cortex A, Cortex R, Cortex M and the associated numbers that go along with it. I see in ARM based processors things like "Based on the A53 core" and I'm not sure how to interpret that, I get its based on that particular IP, but how does it relate to performance and how does it relate to other A processors? Does an Arm A9 perform better or worse than an A77?. 

https (with some hints for the ones interested to acquire it like can they set it up on their own? why not? and how do companies provide it also how does a browser know when https is intercepted and therefor unsafe to continue browsing the web page) 

What is Intel RST premium in the BIOS on modern PC. Modern PC have AHCI and Intel RST Premium, which one should the user choose 

Would you be willing to do a follow up video persay to xtreme pc with a distrobution of Linux called tinycore for much older and inferior pcs as I know it can according to firjns that it can run on an intel pentium Pro and onwards and can run chromium vlc after setting up alsa and thought this might be a good idea

For tech quickie could you do a video about the group policy in Windows

I mentioned this one in the LTT forum, but decided it would probably be more appropriate to use it as a Techquickie video. My suggestion is to make a video on whether APUs work better for budget rigs.

I simulated some builds and found that within a budget generally an APU will both outperform a processor and graphics card and cost less.

You can see here that when comparing builds with processors of virtually identical performance, a build with an APU and no dedicated GPU is slightly better than a build with an ordinary CPU and a dedicated graphics card, while being significantly cheaper.

Comparison.png

comparison2.png

Just to make sure it is clear, I have other messages on the previous page that explain what those pictures are proving.

I remember back when the techquickie rant was made (can't remember what it was about) I made a post to the sub and I remembered it so I figured I'd share it since it got some views.

Linus should do a rant on all the different resolution naming conventions

Attached image in case embedded post isn't viewable. 

1920px-Vector_Video_Standards8.svg.png

Hey Guys,

Quick suggestion for a TechQuickie.  I'd love to know more about how boost clocking works for various CPUs and how it's affected by things like the motherboard, VRM's, cooling (including cooling of the VRMs), and anything else that matters.

The question comes up because I recently upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 5 2400G to a Ryzen 7 2700, I was hoping that I would be able to take advantage of the 2700 boost clocking - so I also upgraded my motherboard to an ASUS B450 M - which is supposed to support boost-clocking.  Alas, I do not seem to be able to get the cores into the boost clock range despite fiddling with multiple settings.  I suspect that it's because the motherboard does not have VRMs.  But I have to admit, I'm a bit out of my depth.  

I don't really want to want to become an "Overclocking Enthusiast" but I would like to know how to get the most out of my setup.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

1 minute ago, Iain Christie said:

-snip-

Every board has VRM's, some just have a more elaborate setup or better cooling on it.

Assuming you mean you have a B450M-A, that doesn't have additional cooling on the VRM's, not meaning for CPU's above a Ryzen 5 (and even those are a stretch).

Also, are you looking at single or all core boosts? AMD and Intel advertise single core boost clocks, while if you use more than 1 core, it wont reach that speed; more equally dividing all the speed among the cores.

A decent way to know if your board is fit for your CPU is checking in on the tier list:

Where the Prime-A is a Tier F board fit for a "maxed out 1300X"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/