BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

5 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

But since you don't have restrictions on internal traffic, then setup of mulitiple instances will work.  Just be mindful that this technique is just for bunkering.  Once one instance finishes crunching, then you let the other instance crunch till it is finished, then keep going with another instance.  This allows getting around project limitations that sometimes restricts based on core/thread counts.

So do you just stop the instance when it's completed the work and since it hasn't been able to upload it just uploads it next time I start it (with the upload limit removed)?

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Could I just block the servers IP that I would send the WUs out too?

Also hypothetically could I set up VMs and just suspend them when they have finished the WUs they have stored? That way I cut just kill the internet to the VM after it has downloaded the WUs?

Yes, that is one of the simplier methods to bunkering. But, just be careful.  Some projects use the same server for issueing and receiving WUs.  Along with some setting max WUs based on core/thread count of the client.  Reason the mulitiple instance technique was made by some Pentathlon members.

Yes, VMing is another way to bunker up WUs.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

So do you just stop the instance when it's completed the work and since it hasn't been able to upload it just uploads it next time I start it (with the upload limit removed)?

Correct.  Once an instance finishes up its load of WUs, just pause it for the mean time while another instance is set to run.  Then, when the start date occurs, start that instance back up and take off the upload limit.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

@Ithanul do you think we would be better off concentrating on just 3 out of the 5 events due to the way the points are weighted?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

No thanks! I lost 4M points on Boinc because "they" accidentally deleted my account. :(

You can tell because if you click on the Boinc badge under my profile, it leads to a page that says I have no credit.

Also the Boinc app is really buggy and it takes a long time to set up properly.

So screw this event :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

@Ithanul do you think we would be better off concentrating on just 3 out of the 5 events due to the way the points are weighted?

Probably depends how many folks we can get involved in the event.

We definilty need some folks to stick to the Marathon.  Probalby best for folks with not much CPU power to stick to that.  Then us heavy hitters can figure out where to aim our resources at the other parts of the event.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

No thanks! I lost 4M points on Boinc because "they" accidentally deleted my account. :(

You can tell because if you click on the Boinc badge under my profile, it leads to a page that says I have no credit.

Also the Boinc app is really buggy and it takes a long time to set up properly.

So screw this event :P

Thats a real shame to hear, I hope to see you in on the next folding month though!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Probably depends how many folks we can get involved in the event.

We definilty need some folks to stick to the Marathon.  Probalby best for folks with not much CPU power to stick to that.  Then us heavy hitters can figure out where to aim our resources at the other parts of the event.

I'm going to message Jake again to see if he can convince any of the other LMG guys to throw some CPUs at the marathon. 

It would be nice to see more of the mods doing the same. That way we can have a baseload on marathon from the ones who don't wanna be switching projects. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I'm going to message Jake again to see if he can convince any of the other LMG guys to throw some CPUs at the marathon. 

It would be nice to see more of the mods doing the same. That way we can have a baseload on marathon from the ones who don't wanna be switching projects. 

Yep.  For folks that just want to set and go, then the Marathon will be the route to go.  Plus, it going to be a subproject of WCG.  Be a nice way for folks to get their BOINC badges here. 

5 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Correct.  Once an instance finishes up its load of WUs, just pause it for the mean time while another instance is set to run.  Then, when the start date occurs, start that instance back up and take off the upload limit.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzLDqDt6F6PF-rgrQnTxw

Have to wait until 3 days before so we know which project though correct? Or is there few enough I could just spam crunch them all now? I'm sure I can script this.

I think we should look at the projects we already crunch on BOINC and try to vote for them before the deadline.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzLDqDt6F6PF-rgrQnTxw

Have to wait until 3 days before so we know which project though correct? Or is there few enough I could just spam crunch them all now? I'm sure I can script this.

I can't remeber on exact time frame of when projects are annouced ahead of start dates (best I recall is like three or two days out).  But once I know, I will post here and the LTT Discord.  You could just mad crunch WCG units atm as an subproject will be declared from it (so, good chance even if you crunch all the WCG subprojects, one of them will be the annouced subproject).

I will see tonight if I can setup a RSS feed or something to my phone so I can keep the annoucements as up-to-date as possible.

6 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I think we should look at the projects we already crunch on BOINC and try to vote for them before the deadline.

That what I'm thinking as well.  The Marathon is being decided by the SETI.Germany site admins, but the other four are up for votes by the teams.

These are the ones listed for voting: 

projects.png.60588dc2970f5649954e7e4eb74521e9.png

Only one GPU project can be done for the event.

Einstein@Home is nice, but it is a quorum 2 project.  There is Colatz Conjecture that can run on GPUs which is a quorum 1 project.

There already been talks on the SETI.Germany site to not do RakeSearch as the project servers would probably not handle the load from the event.  In the past, there been project servers that would go belly up because of the crazy output from the Pent.

@leadeater any chance you can pin this on the subforum tool the event is over?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

How hard is it to sign up for just the Marathon? If the Marathon job is CPU intensive and highly parallelized I think my latest server would be useful. Or I might have to run multiple instances of BONIC to use all the cores.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

How hard is it to sign up for just the Marathon? If the Marathon job is CPU intensive and highly parallelized I think my latest server would be useful. Or I might have to run multiple instances of BONIC to use all the cores.

You can just do the Marathon part if that all you want to do.  No requirements to do any of the other disciplines.

Since the project is going to be subproject from WCG for the Marathon , I'm not aware of any parallelized WUs (Work Units).  At most, each WU uses one thread.

10 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

You can just do the Marathon part if that all you want to do.  No requirements to do any of the other disciplines.

Since the project is going to be subproject from WCG for the Marathon , I'm not aware of any parallelized WUs (Work Units).  At most, each WU uses one thread.

So would that mean for every instance of the BONIC Manager only one core/thread will be used?

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So would that mean for every instance of the BONIC Manager only one core/thread will be used?

No, you can set core/thread usage in the application itself.  It will then pull work units down and set those to be crunch on resource limit set.

Core/thread usage, cycle time, set time to crunch work units, download/upload time can all be set within the settings of the BOINC Manager.

Example of how it looks:

Image result for boinc manager wcg

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

No, you can set core/thread usage in the application itself.  It will then pull work units down and set those to be crunch on resource limit set.

Core/thread usage, cycle time, set time to crunch work units, download/upload time can all be set within the settings of the BOINC Manager.

Ah, sorry I'm not fluent in BONIC terms but based off what you're saying I'm thinking WU's =  Tasks. When I said highly parallelized I mean't the managers ability to download and simultaneously run the work for each core/thread not each WU's ability to use multiple cores/threads. I've partaken in projects like LHC where they just don't have enough work for my server. 6 tasks (or WU's) uses 12% of my CPU and it just doesn't want to run more than that. So if the Marathon revolves around CPU and it has the work available for a lot of cores/threads I'm saying I'll partake I just need to know which job and when to turn it on.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Ah, sorry I'm not fluent in BONIC terms but based off what you're saying I'm thinking WU's =  Tasks. When I said highly parallelized I mean't the managers ability to download and simultaneously run the work for each core/thread not each WU's ability to use multiple cores/threads. I've partaken in projects like LHC where they just don't have enough work for my server. 6 tasks (or WU's) uses 12% of my CPU and it just doesn't want to run more than that. So if the Marathon revolves around CPU and it has the work available for a lot of cores/threads I'm saying I'll partake I just need to know which job and when to turn it on.

The start date is the 5th of May and accouncement for the subproject of WCG has yet to be accounced on the main site of the event yet.

Yes, WU = Task.   The manager can handle setting multiple WUs to run depending how the project runs them.  WCG tasks tend to be one WU per thread.  LHC ATLAS WUs are the ones that get 8 per WU.

Well, there goes my 8700K and Vega 64.

Maybe I'll even turn OC back on.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

i will keep a eye on this. to see if i want to do it i or not

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I'll be in again. How much power I can put on it depends on weather over the duration. I don't do bunkering but can switch projects as needed.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Noob here so apologies if what I'm saying sounds really dumb. 

Is it possible to run this on a Raspberry Pi 3b+ (or even a Zero WH)? I only have a laptop (poorly built one imo by HP with 7700HQ and 1050 hitting 90+C when at full load and whiny fans) and it's summer here with 30C. Definitely don't want to use my laptop as a frying pan atm but still want to contribute. :) Have a 3b+ and two Zero WH sitting around after my uni project so thinking of using them instead if it's possible. Thx

18 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

@leadeater any chance you can pin this on the subforum tool the event is over?

Ask, and ye shall receive

image.png.e2c3da7db50d24e711820e6220ffc4a4.png

Good luck with the event guys!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

anyone know if there is a boinc docker image for unraid?

cTurtle98 - Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k

COOLER: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Extreme S
MOBO: Asrock z270 killer sli/ac

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME (POP_OS)

GPU: MSI - GTX 1070

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular

CASE: Thermaltake - Versa H26

cTurtle98 - Portable PC

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600

COOLER: NH-L9a-AM4

MOBO: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair - Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" (Manjaro)

SSD 3: PNY - CS1311 120 GB 2.5" (POP_OS)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB MINI ITX OC

PSU: HDPLEX 400 AC-DC DC-ATX Combo

CASE: NFC Skyreach 4 mini

1 minute ago, cTurtle98 said:

anyone know if there is a boinc docker image for unraid?

Maybe this will hep?

I don't know much about VMs, docker or unRAID tbh.

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/BoincDocker

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240