BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

Ouch. One of my CPU's were hitting 88°C and it's VRM wasn't happy either. Had to ghetto rig some fans around the two sockets to compensate. This project is really pushing what I thought was an adequate cooling solution for my server.

I'm going to look into getting my slightly less powerful server online and hope the cooling can handle it. If not I'll have to run it at a lower utilization. Might get my desktop involved too if it will stay stable. Might overclock it.

As part of the bunkering technique (which I still need to look into) did somebody say something about limiting upload bandwidth until the start of the event? If I can keep the temps under control I think I really should run two instances if it will let me. With 64 WU's and letting it have 100% of my CPU's it's only using 60% at most. Thermals are my only limit at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

As part of the bunkering technique (which I still need to look into) did somebody say something about limiting upload bandwidth until the start of the event? If I can keep the temps under control I think I really should run two instances if it will let me. With 64 WU's and letting it have 100% of my CPU's it's only using 60% at most. Thermals are my only limit at the moment.

This should work

image.png.cc64871d65552653554f2333c2b2b888.png

image.png.0b6e9077b558916e07b98dddec675906.png

Good luck getting anything through with 1KB/s and a 1 minute limit. Just remove those after start date.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

This should work

Good luck getting anything through with 1KB/s and a 1 minute limit. Just remove those after start date.

That's exactly what I've done.

My second system isn't get served a bunch of WUs like my first though. Not sure why, will keep an eye on it. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

50 minutes ago, leadeater said:

This should work

Got it.

The server has a heap of idle work but it's chewing though it pretty quickly. I wonder if it'd go even faster if the server wasn't limited to single-channel memory.

21 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Got it.

The server has a heap of idle work but it's chewing though it pretty quickly. I wonder if it'd go even faster if the server wasn't limited to single-channel memory.

BOINC projects are held in system memory so most likely you would, but not sure exactly how much of an uplift you will see. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

BOINC projects are held in system memory so most likely you would, but not sure exactly how much of an uplift you will see. 

Since everybody is crunching the same thing what does an average of 1.5~2hrs per WU sound? Slow? Average?

Also how do we register to be on the LTT Team? I'm pretty sure it isn't automatic.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Since everybody is crunching the same thing what does an average of 1.5~2hrs per WU sound? Slow? Average?

Also how do we register to be on the LTT Team? I'm pretty sure it isn't automatic.

You need to go to the projects webpage and join the team. 

My ryzen 1700 @ 3.6 is hitting around 2:07-2:43 per WU.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

You need to go to the projects webpage and join the team. 

My ryzen 1700 @ 3.6 is hitting around 2:07-2:43 per WU.

All I see for registration is if I wanted to sign up my own team. I don't see joining a team.

Is that min or hours? If min then jeez my servers useless.

16 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

All I see for registration is if I wanted to sign up my own team. I don't see joining a team.

On the WCG website after you login click on My Contribution then on the left My Team. This link might work, maybe. https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do

I had a right pain finding where to do it too.

image.png.e9425ea423889ae97d498d61b15af25d.png

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@Windows7ge @Ben Quigley

Do you know what your points per hour is? Mines currently 260 but it appears 1 of the servers isn't submitting any results.

No idea as I'm not submitting any units 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

No idea as I'm not submitting any units 

Does this mean mine are doing 1.6 hours ish per WU?

image.png.8a6c6162f82e911e57dd06ab94bb296d.png

Just now, leadeater said:

Does this mean mine are doing 1.6 hours ish per WU?

image.png.8a6c6162f82e911e57dd06ab94bb296d.png

I believe they are submitted units meaning they have been uploaded, check your settings. 

Plus yes, 1.6 hours per WU. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I believe they are submitted units meaning they have been uploaded, check your settings. 

Kind of annoying to do that, all ubuntu server but all started using exactly the same commands so why one isn't reporting on the website I have no idea.

Going to need a heck of a lot more people contributing though, if we want a good showing.

52 minutes ago, leadeater said:

On the WCG website after you login click on My Contribution then on the left My Team. This link might work, maybe. https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do

I had a right pain finding where to do it too.

Ah, thank you I was outright on the wrong website. I'm in. Ready to go.

57 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@Windows7ge @Ben Quigley

Do you know what your points per hour is? Mines currently 260 but it appears 1 of the servers isn't submitting any results.

The average? Prior to setting the upload limit I'm at 451.20

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Kind of annoying to do that, all ubuntu server but all started using exactly the same commands so why one isn't reporting on the website I have no idea.

Going to need a heck of a lot more people contributing though, if we want a good showing.

We are getting a shout out by Jake on the discord, also hoping for a tweet and maybe a WAN show shout out too this week. Let's hope that will help us. Can't wait for a GPU project to come up though as most of us here are folders and thus very heavy hitters in the GPU game.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

This should work

Spoiler

Done the settings waiting to release the WU when the Marathon starts.... should be a good first push of WU:s to flood the servers ?‍♀️? ?️ ?

3 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Done the settings waiting to release the WU when the Marathon starts.... should be a good first push of WU:s to flood the servers ?‍♀️? ?️ ?

Looking like I'll have 200-300 WUs to drop when it starts.... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

We are getting a shout out by Jake on the discord, also hoping for a tweet and maybe a WAN show shout out too this week. Let's hope that will help us. Can't wait for a GPU project to come up though as most of us here are folders and thus very heavy hitters in the GPU game.

I might get in on a GPU stage if my desktop is willing to cooperate. It's been unstable when under a sustained load. We'll see. If it doesn't wanna I'll just keep the 2 week CPU project going.

13 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I might get in on a GPU stage if my desktop is willing to cooperate. It's been unstable when under a sustained load. We'll see. If it doesn't wanna I'll just keep the 2 week CPU project going.

Can't dial back on the OC? Or just set the client not to run at all cores and/or use 100% CPU time? 

Just curious, do the system become unstable with Prime95 loading the system? 

I have 16C/32T (Dual Xeon 2670 V1) so I have set the client to use max 75% of the cores and max 75% load, that way I can go about my usual stuff without noticing that the computer is going at it almost full tilt if I don't check the CPU-monitor and temps for the system.

1 hour ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Can't dial back on the OC? Or just set the client not to run at all cores and/or use 100% CPU time? 

Just curious, do the system become unstable with Prime95 loading the system? 

I have 16C/32T (Dual Xeon 2670 V1) so I have set the client to use max 75% of the cores and max 75% load, that way I can go about my usual stuff without noticing that the computer is going at it almost full tilt if I don't check the CPU-monitor and temps for the system.

It's not an overclock issue it's an actual hardware WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR issue. I need to upgrade my desktop. I'm not sure what's throwing the error.

My old server is 2x2670v1's. The one currently folding OpenZika is twice as powerful but I'd like to throw the old one in if I can set it up. I'm thinking a bootable thumb drive with desktop Linux.

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

My old server is 2x2670v1's. The one currently folding OpenZeka is twice as powerful but I'd like to throw the old one in if I can set it up. I'm thinking a bootable thumb drive with desktop Linux.

Yes, those old 2670:is is ripping through those OpenZika WU:s at 1h20m to 1h40m and I am doing 24 WU:s at a time so I will have WU:s in the hundreds to send in from the buffert when the Marathon starts.... ??

1 hour ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Yes, those old 2670:is is ripping through those OpenZika WU:s at 1h20m to 1h40m and I am doing 24 WU:s at a time so I will have WU:s in the hundreds to send in from the buffert when the Marathon starts.... ??

My server is really broad. Anywhere between 15mins to 2.33hrs so if this trend continues (and if I did my math right) going by an average of that I should complete about 1,152WU/24hrs or about 3,744WU before May 5th.

Somebody correct my logic if I'm off. Does BOINC have a max amount of jobs it'll let you hold before it stops giving you work?

That doesn't include the advanced bunkering technique that I still have to check out nor include if I get the other server going or if I even throw my desktop into it at least a little bit.