Gravity: The Documentary - India's destruction of Satellites poses danger to ISS Astronauts

rcmaehl

Source:
The Guardian

Summary:
An Indian missile test created over 400 pieces of orbital debris, Over 24 of which headed in the direction of the International Space Station

Media:
1971.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=66fac6582a5795b7bad4d8670b176867

Quotes/Excerpts:

India’s destruction of one of its satellites created 400 pieces of orbital debris and posed a threat to astronauts onboard the International Space Station (ISS). The satellite shattered into pieces, many of which are dangerously large but too small to track. “That is a terrible, terrible thing to create an event that sends debris at an apogee that goes above the International Space Station,” he said, adding: “That kind of activity is not compatible with the future of human spaceflight.” “It’s unacceptable and Nasa needs to be very clear about what its impact to us is.” The US military tracks objects in space to predict the collision risk for the ISS and for satellites. It is tracking 23,000 objects larger than 10cm. That includes about 10,000 pieces of space debris, of which nearly 3,000 were created by a single event: a Chinese anti-satellite test in 2007, 530 miles above the surface. As a result of the Indian test, the risk of collision with the ISS has increased by 44%. The risk will dissipate over time as much of the debris will burn up as it enters the atmosphere. The missile test was celebrated in India but also drew criticism because it was announced by the prime minister, Narendra Modi, while the government is supposed to be in caretaker mode before elections starting this month.

My Thoughts:
I had assumed most countries were on the same page about not creating additional space debris as it negatively affects EVERYONE. While it may be unlikely that the ISS is going to be hit, it still must be pretty scary for an event like this to happen, in which you're flying in a metal tube at 7.8 km/s at a bunch of debris without much option for escape. Regardless, I'm sure several countries would be quick to mount a rescue effort considering the International nature of the Station.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

26 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

7.8m/s

Km/s

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

Km/s

Fixed

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

We're already pretty boned

Not really. Space is big.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

After reading Seveneves by Neal Stephensons I'm pretty much of the opinion that we (humans) should launch some satellites with the only purpose of collecting our trash as soon as possible, before it's not too late.

Way too many dead satellites and rocket remains and crap

3 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Space is, the amount of space that comprises LEO (low earth orbit)...not so much...especially when the objects in that zone are traveling at speeds of ~17,500 miles per hour.

ISS.. I misread ISIS when i was scrolling facebook half hour ago and thought why the f Nasa care about ISIS. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

10 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You guys can play with Stuff in Space website, which shows all the debris and satellites (working or not working) around the planet : http://stuffin.space/

I "like" (just find fascinating) how we already have our own ring of debris around earth

Just looking at it though, anything not directly around the gray sphere (earth) is REALLY far away

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

The The Guardian article mentions that China did a similar test in 2007, but, predictably, omits mentioning that the US did the same test in 2008.

Pentagon warns India against 'messy' tests in space, despite doing similar one in 2008

While space debris is a bad thing, part of the intention behind criticism from the US' Pentagon chief and head of NASA is likely to intimidate other countries away from pursuing and acquiring the same military capabilities that the US already possesses, to try to maintain the US' advantage.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

We felt jealous of Saturns rings so we decided to make out own. Simple explanation here, nothing to be concerned about.

I actually saw the ISS flying over when I was leaving work yesterday. Colleagues though I was a nerd for being interested 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

49 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

I had assumed most countries were on the same page about not creating additional space debris as it negatively affects EVERYONE.

Yes, well, it turns out some politicians don't care what damage they do to the future of mankind if it helps them stay in power. See global warming and the lack of concern for problems that directly threaten the entire human race.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

33 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

While space debris is a bad thing, part of the intention behind criticism from the US' Pentagon chief and head of NASA is likely to intimidate other countries away from pursuing and acquiring the same military capabilities that the US already possesses, to try to maintain the US' advantage.

Politics as usual then? ?

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

Source:
The Guardian

Summary:
An Indian missile test created over 400 pieces of orbital debris, Over 24 of which headed in the direction of the International Space Station

Media:
-snip-

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:
I had assumed most countries were on the same page about not creating additional space debris as it negatively affects EVERYONE. While it may be unlikely that the ISS is going to be hit, it still must be pretty scary for an event like this to happen, in which you're flying in a metal tube at 7.8 km/s at a bunch of debris without much option for escape. Regardless, I'm sure several countries would be quick to mount a rescue effort considering the International nature of the Station.

Fortunately the ISS always has at least one lander docked to the station at all times, acting as an escape vehicle for the crew.

believe they currently use Soyuz capsules - that's likely to change (or perhaps, be added to) with the human ready rating on the CST-100 (Boeing) and Dragon (SpaceX) capsules.

And of course, eventually, the Orion too.

But yes, if we assume a scenario where the escape vehicle is disabled due to the debris, we'd have anyone with a human-capable vehicle launching as soon as is technically possible.... which basically leaves us in the hands of the Russians and Chinese. They are the only ones with human-rated vehicles that can reach the ISS.

Both CST-100 and Dragon should be operational and human rated this year though.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

which basically leaves us in the hands of the Russians and Chinese. They are the only ones with human-rated vehicles that can reach the ISS..

Is this because NASA scaled back their space programs significantly? (aka the shuttle program)

Also, you forget the Americans already have a human rated vehicle in space

Spoiler

:^)

Image result for tesla in space

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Is this because NASA scaled back their space programs significantly? (aka the shuttle program)

Yes. When they retired the Shuttle, they had no human rated vehicle to replace it. Orion has been in development since the early 1990's, but kept getting budget cuts and scale backs. Dragon v2 and CST-100 are likely to be the first human rated back in space - both within a few months of each other, later this year.

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Also, you forget the Americans already have a human rated vehicle in space

Hide contents

:^)

Image result for tesla in space

Lol true that. Of course, I wouldn't exactly want to ride along with him through the orbital burn...

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

All of this debris is in low orbit and is decaying. It will eventually all fall back down to earth and probably burn up. How soon that will happen idk.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

21 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

All of this debris is in low orbit and is decaying. It will eventually all fall back down to earth and probably burn up. How soon that will happen idk.  

True, but it's above the ISS orbital plane. It could be a hazard to not only the ISS, but also other satellites.

It was irresponsible of India (and China and the US) to do this.

6 hours ago, sazrocks said:

Too much garbage in your face? There's plenty of space out in space!

This is why we can't have nice things.

Seriously, we don't need the prove that we can blow things up in space. Let's just try getting out there first, for god's sake...

I really hope nobody decides to test a nuke in orbit.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

28 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I really hope nobody decides to test a nuke in orbit.

You're actually super duper too late. Project Fishbowl - specifically, Starfish Prime. A 1.4 mt nuclear warhead was detonated in space, at approximately 250 miles (402 km) above sea level.

This was back in 1962, so the threat to satellites was extremely small, since there basically weren't many up there. It would be devastating now though (the EMP blast was insane - unless the satellite is hardened against EMP, it'll get fried).

And here I thought it was pretty difficult to keep things in orbit. Why don't they have an 'orbit ejection device' similar to a small rocket that shoots the satellites off into space once they are dead?

1 minute ago, ouroesa said:

And here I thought it was pretty difficult to keep things in orbit. Why don't they have an 'orbit ejection device' similar to a small rocket that shoots the satellites off into space once they are dead?

How exactly would that work?

The impact shatters the satellite into thousands of pieces. And it's even worse if the impact device also contains explosives.

At best, they maybe could "aim down" with the impact device, but that wouldn't really help if there's stuff below the satellite (which, the ISS is below the satellite that was destroyed).

You'd have to physically grab and capture the satellite, whole, intact, in order to "shoot it off into space".