New 200,000 core AMD EPYC Rome “Army” Supercomputer

SuperCooling87

In an article by Tom’s Hardware (link below), the Finnish IT Center for Science (CSC) announced a two phase plan to unveil a 200,000 core EPYC-based supercomputer. If successful, it would see up to 6.4 petaflops of peak performance and cost over $44 million USD. Assuming a conservative estimate of $4,000 USD per processor (AMD still hasn’t fully unveiled them), 12.5 million would be spent on CPU’s alone. What do you guys think? Will it run cinebench?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-rome-supercomputer-200000-nvidia-cores,38259.html

5 minutes ago, SuperCooling87 said:

In an article by Tom’s Hardware (link below), the Finnish IT Center for Science (CSC) announced a two phase plan to unveil a 200,000 core EPYC-based supercomputer. If successful, it would see up to 6.4 petaflops of peak performance and cost over $44 million USD. Assuming a conservative estimate of $4,000 USD per processor (AMD still hasn’t fully unveiled them), 12.5 million would be spent on CPU’s alone. What do you guys think? Will it run cinebench?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-rome-supercomputer-200000-nvidia-cores,38259.html

Yes, it probably would run Cinebench, but the issue would be finding a GUI to be over it to actually display video. It'd also be done before the requests were propagated to even half of the system.

37 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Yes, it probably would run Cinebench, but the issue would be finding a GUI to be over it to actually display video. It'd also be done before the requests were propagated to even half of the system.

Also, in Cinebench there are other problems you get to if you run it on something too powerful too. If you for example get around 10k points, the score varries from one run to another up to 20%. Probably just get worse the higher you go.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

34 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Windows Server 2016 charges per core. Datacenter is 770$ for 2 cores, so 77 million for windows alone. Thats why people use linux. XD

Education and researchers don't pay list price. We pay based on our Staff and Student FTE count then we can use an unlimited amount of any of Microsofts core products, so whether it's 2 cores or 200,000 cores the price doesn't change ?.

Not that you'd be using Windows Server for an HPC cluster though.

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Education and researchers don't pay list price. We pay based on our Staff and Student FTE count then we can use an unlimited amount of any of Microsofts core products, so whether it's 2 cores or 200,000 cores the price doesn't change ?.

Spoiler

satya-nadella-unhappy-face.jpg

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, Firewrath9 said:

Windows Server 2016 charges per core. Datacenter is 770$ for 2 cores, so 77 million for windows alone. Thats why people use linux. XD

Seriously, who in their right mind would use windows in that situation. Price based on core count sounds ridiculous to me regardless of how many cores you have.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

52 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Also, in Cinebench there are other problems you get to if you run it on something too powerful too. If you for example get around 10k points, the score varries from one run to another up to 20%. Probably just get worse the higher you go.

time for them to make a new Cinebench. 

also.. i doubt cinebench would run properly at all on it without significant modifications. It's a supercomputer. but everything is still seperated into nodes and you have to program stuff to use all the nodes. Doesn't just work like a normal pc once everything is plugged in and configured. 

Though I do wish it were that easy sometimes..

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

50,000 gamers 1 CPU lol

8 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Datacenter is 770$ for 2 cores, so 77 million for windows alone. Thats why people use linux. XD

Personally, I use Linux because I don't want my files to suddenly disappear or for every update to reset my user preferences and install annoying adware on my machines.

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Speak for yourself,  If I could afford a 200K core HPC I would put windows 10 home on it.   I think for the money and time it would take to customize an OS you you wouldn't gain much.... 

I'll see myself out :P

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, Terryv said:

Seriously, who in their right mind would use windows in that situation. Price based on core count sounds ridiculous to me regardless of how many cores you have.

At that price, you can just hire someone to deploy you whole Linux ecosystem and it would still cost you less I think...

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No because AMD CPUs are bad at gaming.

but it might freesync better.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

we still dont know how the latency on those cpus will be, and does the io die have an l4 cache?, either way 64 cores vs 28, amd can even go head to head against 4 socket systems, at probably close to half the power

12 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Clusterized machines don't require a classic GUI output as you could imagine, cinebench is just designed to run on a single system, but there are distributed benchmark tools as well 

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Ooof. TRIGGERED.

But seriously, my 1700X would disagree with you.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Especially in Civ 5 and 6 and probably hoi4

because everyone plays those games......

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Ooof. TRIGGERED.

Intel CPU's are bad at gaming as well.

Try gaming on just a CPU no GPU. technically the intel one with its terrible igpu will still win xD

20 hours ago, Terryv said:

LOL never ever look at the SQL licensing then.  That makes the OS licensing look positively miniscule.  We're talking 14k+ per 4 cores.  Have a nice day.