AMD predicted to start snatching up server market share

Fasauceome

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/amd-epyc-rome-7nm-server-market-share-gain/amp/

Looks like 7nm EPYC will have some serious profitability for AMD. 

A recent report by DRAMeXchange has revealed that AMD managed to increase their market share in the server space to 2%. Up from 1% just a few months ago

Doubling server presence, even at this small percentage, is no small feat.

Now it’s easy to tell that Intel will still remain the dominant player in the market, retaining a 90-95% market share lead over AMD but Intel’s Ex-CEO, Brian Krzanich, stated that his company wouldn’t want AMD capturing 15-20% server market share. In fact, at the pace at which AMD is gaining their server market share, 15% doesn’t really feel like a far cry from now

Intel finally has something to fear, and maybe that'll put some pep in their step. 

I think it's rather interesting that AMD has a consumer focused approach to their hardware, such as Zen being a gaming product first and foremost, while Intel only designs "top down," with their server tech being the forefront. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I believe it.

AMD is getting some pretty serious traction, I'm yet to see an Intel chip that I'd really spring for.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I really want to see AMD do good. They deserve it at this point.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

I really want to see AMD do good. They deserve it at this point.

It's never really worth it to be sentimental to huge corporations, and AMD has done some shady stuff so far. However, Intel and Nvidia need competition, and this turn of events is good for consumers.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Likely among the best news for them at this time. Don't get me wrong we still have a few years of consumer PCs specially because of the major roadblocks ISPs present for widespread adoption of cloud based consumer solutions but longer term, they'd be much better off selling to Enterprise specially of paired with GPUs with OpenCL also taking the fight to Nvidia and Cuda.

But long term consumer market will be dominated by the mobile chips and the more robust computational needs will be handled via cloud.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

But long term consumer market will be dominated by the mobile chips and the more robust computational needs will be handled via cloud.

A bleak future to look forward to

Primary PC:

The more pressure Intel feels from AMD competing, the better for everyone (except Intel).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It should be noted that AMD's server market share was about 0.4% coming into 2017. Server x86 CPUs are also the biggest revenue section of all cpus in the entire industry. 2% is still a massive amount. If AMD gets back to 20% market share in servers, that's about double their current yearly revenue.

Well at this point Intel really doesn't have much in the way of competitive products (not helped by their product shortages-giant monolithic die were a mistake), ans with OEM starting to direct customers to AMD based systems as an alternative its no surprise at all.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The more I hear about AMD, the more I seem to keep getting drawn toward team red... Before my 1700X I only had Intel... Pentium II and III, Celeron, Centrino, core2duo, Xeon, i5, and i7. I still have Intel chips, but I don't really have the same excitement for the latest Intel announcement as I do for...say...Zen 2 for example.

On topic though. AMD getting into the server market will probably be a big cash boost for them. Also new tech will undoubtedly trickle down to the desktop products.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

It's never really worth it to be sentimental to huge corporations, and AMD has done some shady stuff so far. However, Intel and Nvidia need competition, and this turn of events is good for consumers.

Every company does shady stuff. Especially in the electronics business where you can get away with it. 

5 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Every company does shady stuff. Especially in the electronics business where you can get away with it. 

Yeah exactly. AMD might be an "underdog" in the industry but they're still only profit driven.

Primary PC:

Im predicting a long term stock price increase

image.png.7501120a06a1b9b7af8c17aa8f5c1df9.png

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

"Shady stuff"? That's it? I'm not saying that AMD is squeaky clean, but I seriously doubt anything they've done even comes close to the horrible things Intel has done in the past and continues to do in order screw over both consumers and the competition.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

Just now, System32.exe said:

"Shady stuff"? That's it? I'm not saving that AMD is squeaky clean, but I seriously doubt anything they've done even comes close to the horrible things Intel has done in the past and continues to do in order screw over both consumers and the competition.

I mean, could you be more specific? On the AMD side, there's the RX 580 2048, the cut down RX 560, etc. It's not a contest of who's done more, it's the fact that AMD doesn't deserve appreciation solely for being less bad than Intel. It's a huge, amoral company that isn't necessarily out for the consumer's well being.

Primary PC:

14 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Im predicting a long term stock price increase

Just buy it

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Intel finally has something to fear

Well once its implemented and for sale, we will see. Intel has lots hidden away in the back clean rooms ready and waiting. My bet is Intel probably already put in the chips the pathways for whatever their poker hand is. Just do a new production run with whatever they gotta do, and its another flop in the flip flop process.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Well once its implemented and for sale, we will see. Intel has lots hidden away in the back clean rooms ready and waiting.

Hey maybe if they dig deep enough in the back clean room they'll find their 10nm node.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

Hey maybe if they dig deep enough in the back clean room they'll find their 10nm node.

They probably have a lot in the research stage, and some in the final implementation stage.

Just a game of cat and mouse between Intel and AMD.

Have to maximize profits as best they can. Not give the consumer everything!

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Just buy it

The more you but the more you save!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, fasauceome said:

I mean, could you be more specific? On the AMD side, there's the RX 580 2048, the cut down RX 560, etc. It's not a contest of who's done more, it's the fact that AMD doesn't deserve appreciation solely for being less bad than Intel. It's a huge, amoral company that isn't necessarily out for the consumer's well being.

How about holding back progress on consumer CPUs for over half a decade while repeatedly jacking up prices for consumers? Or what about bribing OEMs with billions of dollars so they don't use the competitions hardware?

I agree that the misleading rebrands of GPUs is awful, but Nvidia does the exact same thing, so AMD is just being regular scum here instead of stand-out bad.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

1 minute ago, System32.exe said:

I agree that the misleading rebrands of GPUs is awful, but Nvidia does the exact same thing, so AMD is just being regular scum here instead of stand-out bad.

I hate to say it, but I bet AMD would act the same way if they were market dominant. And hey, if Intel keeps having problems with chipsets, process nodes, and shortages, I personally don't feel like that's a far fetched idea.

Primary PC: