AMD predicted to start snatching up server market share

Fasauceome
1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Intel keeps having problems with chipsets, process nodes, and shortages

Interesting, news to me. Buildup of processing equipment, vendors, so many aspects to it all.

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I hate to say it, but I bet AMD would act the same way if they were market dominant. And hey, if Intel keeps having problems with chipsets, process nodes, and shortages, I personally don't feel like that's a far fetched idea.

Maybe they would. But that's not the world we live in, as it is looking at the past and present Intel has been noticeably worse than both Nvidia and AMD when it comes to how they treat consumers and the competition.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

38 minutes ago, System32.exe said:

How about holding back progress on consumer CPUs for over half a decade while repeatedly jacking up prices for consumers? Or what about bribing OEMs with billions of dollars so they don't use the competitions hardware?

I agree that the misleading rebrands of GPUs is awful, but Nvidia does the exact same thing, so AMD is just being regular scum here instead of stand-out bad.

*Thinks back to the GT 740 and GT 740, and their GT1030 levels of dishonesty*

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Exactly. Just because AMD might do something isn't a valid reason for them to lose out against Intel or Nvidia. Decades of tech has already been stuck in a rut.

You better pray for them to not fail, else they wont have money to keep R&D momentum and we know what intel has in stores for us if that happens again or worse if AMD goes under for good. Even if you are the biggest intel/nvidia fanboi you better pray x10 more they can reach and maintaint at least 30% cpu/gpu market share in both desktop and server otherwise you favorite brands will give you 5% improvements yearly.

Here is the thing, you can get a E5-2683 v4 for a bit more than a 2990wx. Nothing more to say. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

18 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Here is the thing, you can get a E5-2683 v4 for a bit more than a 2990wx. Nothing more to say. 

But that has half the cores? And really isn't that quick for a desktop use case CPU. Personally I'd go for a pair of used E5-2687W v4. TR 2950X is a great CPU, the 2990WX is kinda trash in my opinion, botch job rather than a well thought out product.

23 minutes ago, leadeater said:

But that has half the cores? And really isn't that quick for a desktop use case CPU. Personally I'd go for a pair of used E5-2687W v4. TR 2950X is a great CPU, the 2990WX is kinda trash in my opinion, botch job rather than a well thought out product.

I might have phrased is the opposite? YOu can get 2990wx for less than a E5-2683 v4. 2950X costs 50% less. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I might have phrased is the opposite? YOu can get 2990wx for less than a E5-2683 v4. 2950X costs 50% less. 

Still, almost all the Xeons are rather bad for desktop/workstation use. Xeon W and Skylake-X are better comparison products, that and you'd never use a 2990WX in place of any Xeon but you wouldn't with a Skylake-X either.

This was bound to happen, proven over time. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 hours ago, fasauceome said:

It's never really worth it to be sentimental to huge corporations, and AMD has done some shady stuff so far. However, Intel and Nvidia need competition, and this turn of events is good for consumers.

Doesn't matter, for AMD it's not to just be good now, it needs to be at least so good that it captures at least 50% of the market. If companies are 50/50 it's best for us.

I just hope AMD won't run out of steam too soon. They certainly started great with everything ZEN, despite a bit bumpy road in the beginning (BIOS issues and RAM timings and clocks).

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Still, almost all the Xeons are rather bad for desktop/workstation use. Xeon W and Skylake-X are better comparison products, that and you'd never use a 2990WX in place of any Xeon but you wouldn't with a Skylake-X either.

I would use a threadripper in place of a Xeon. It supports ecc memory and has that enormous cache. I think it makes a great competitor for a Xeon. It still outpaces its actual market competitor in value, the i9 9900xe.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I would use a threadripper in place of a Xeon. It supports ecc memory and has that enormous cache. I think it makes a great competitor for a Xeon. It still outpaces its actual market competitor in value, the i9 9900xe.

His point was that you’re comparing completely different market segments, they’re designed for completely different use cases. EPYC = Xeon, Threadripper = Xeon W/Skylake-X.

29 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

His point was that you’re comparing completely different market segments, they’re designed for completely different use cases. EPYC = Xeon, Threadripper = Xeon W/Skylake-X.

I think it's impressive that threadripper competes with a class of hardware that's above it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 hours ago, fasauceome said:

I think it's impressive that threadripper competes with a class of hardware that's above it.

It doesn't, you'd never use threadripper in a dual socket server that's in a ESXi cluster that's hosting thousands of VMs. That's what Xeons are for, and EPYC, not for a high end workstation.

Bringing more expensive higher tier products down to a lesser use case or less tailored use case is possible but typically poor value, bringing a product up is almost always a bad idea or not possible.

Wished AMD made some higher clock chip to beat intel without needing OC.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

10 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Wished AMD made some higher clock chip to beat intel without needing OC.

they cant really on 14nm its not good enough, (the most they can do is release a higher clockspeed lower core count cpu, which they just did) on 7nm they should be able to clock the cpus higher

9 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

they cant really on 14nm its not good enough, (the most they can do is release a higher clockspeed lower core count cpu, which they just did) on 7nm they should be able to clock the cpus higher

But how does intel do it?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

49 minutes ago, williamcll said:

But how does intel do it?

their 14nm is much much better than global foundries 14nm that amd uses, the node itself allows for much higher clocks, its also more dense and more efficient (at the same clocks) 7nm from tsmc that amd will use for zen 2 is much closer to intel's node on performance while being as dense as intel's yet to be released 10nm