David Wang From AMD Confirms That There Will Eventually Be an Answer to DirectX Raytracing

Source article from Tech Power Up

Overclock3D.net article

Quote from Tech Power Up

We don't know when, but it seems AMD will someday have support for DirectX Raytracing , a feature introduced by Microsoft on March 2018. David Wang, Senior Vice President of Engineering at AMD's Radeon Technologies Group, told so in an interview on the Japanese gaming website 4Gamer. Overclock3D confirmed the comments with the assistance of a Japanese speaker who helped to translate the interview without misunderstandings. It's important to clarify that what Wang said was "a personal view", not an official statement from AMD.

Nevertheless, this executive seems to be that "AMD will definitely respond to DXR", although right now the company is focused on improving its current CG production environment based on Radeon ProRenderer. Wang went further on his comments and told also that "the spread of Ray-Tracing's game will not go unless the GPU will be able to use Ray-Tracing in all ranges from low end to high end". Therefore he thinks that ray tracing technology will not become mainstream until there is support for all types of products, from low-end to high-end, but that doesn't mean that AMD won't offer that support gradually when it sees fit. And he seems to think it will be entirely appropriate at some point, and that's what's important.

haq6274D6jJgUrxT.jpg.b34bf3f2b961ad2fbe03cb922478bc3c.jpg

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

Therefore he thinks that ray tracing technology will not become mainstream until there is support for all types of products, from low-end to high-end...

Or when it hits the $250-$400 price market. Unless we're calling that low-end now.

Because let's face it, gaming on < $100 hardware isn't exactly a great experience with the latest and greatest.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

@Athan Immortal the below shit is not a bash towards you, it's towards OC3D and David Wang.

JoeyDM from the Linustechtips forums confirms that water is wet

JoeyDM from the Linustechtips forums confirms that humans enjoy pizza

JoeyDM from the Linustechtips forums confirms that trees will grow somewhere in the world this century

Just now, JoeyDM said:

My friend alex would like to disagree. Then again he does text horizontally.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

but that doesn't mean that AMD won't offer that support gradually when it sees fit.

so basically it will become mainstream, they just don't have anything to offer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Considering you are still living without Ray Tracing in your life, I think it's safe to say AMD will eventually have something. Probably in 5 years when it actually makes logical sense.

I'm surprised no one mentioned path-tracing in here. Ray tracing is gonna be outdated as path tracing is much more interesting prospect in the future (and I think AMD will focus on it instead). An expert on this topic (Andrey Lebrov) Talked about it here: 

Maybe by the time AMD has Ray Tracing there will be a single game that supports it xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned path-tracing in here. Ray tracing is gonna be outdated as path tracing is much more interesting prospect in the future (and I think AMD will focus on it instead). An expert on this topic (Andrey Lebrov) Talked about it here:

Shameless self-plug:

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/359972-myurizaki/?status=208103&amp;type=status

Path tracing is ray tracing on steroids, so you have to support ray tracing first. And according to Wikipedia's description of it...

Path tracing naturally simulates many effects that have to be specifically added to other methods (conventional ray tracing or scanline rendering), such as soft shadows, depth of field, motion blur, caustics, ambient occlusion, and indirect lighting.

... this implies NVIDIA's RTX already does path tracing since they're using DXR for the methods described above. And I think the marketers are just using ray tracing and path tracing interchangeably, probably to the chagrin of those who do graphics.

7 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Considering you are still living without Ray Tracing in your life, I think it's safe to say AMD will eventually have something. Probably in 5 years when it actually makes logical sense.

Renderman already has support for it and Pixar are already using it.   Games aren't the only thing that will benefit from this.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Maybe by the time AMD has Ray Tracing there will be a single game that supports it xD 

Also, if we wait for AMD we may as well wait for brain implants and skip the whole screen/gpu thing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Renderman already has support for it and Pixar are already using it.   Games aren't the only thing that will benefit from this.

This programs could already ray trace, it just took more hardware. 

RTX was marketing as being for gaming, Nvidia has not delivered and Microsoft is still trying to figure out how to not delete user files in a Windows update. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Shameless self-plug:

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/359972-myurizaki/?status=208103&amp;type=status

Path tracing is ray tracing on steroids, so you have to support ray tracing first. And according to Wikipedia's description of it...

... this implies NVIDIA's RTX already does path tracing since they're using DXR for the methods described above. And I think the marketers are just using ray tracing and path tracing interchangeably, probably to the chagrin of those who do graphics.

Oh cool, I guess I still have more research to do! I love this shit

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

This programs could already ray trace, it just took more hardware. 

RTX was marketing as being for gaming, Nvidia has not delivered and Microsoft is still trying to figure out how to not delete user files in a Windows update. 

Watch the video. seriously it's like just over a minute.   Also not sure what windows has to do with this?

21 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

@Athan Immortal the below shit is not a bash towards you, it's towards OC3D and David Wang.

JoeyDM from the Linustechtips forums confirms that water is wet

JoeyDM from the Linustechtips forums confirms that trees will grow somewhere in the world this century

From one Internet user to another, thank you buddy ❤️

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Watch the video. seriously it's like just over a minute.   Also not sure what windows has to do with this?

DXR is only available on 1809, which had the reported problems.

Maybe it's just me, but I tend do a reinstall anyways to avoid unwanted problems with upgrading.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

DXR is only available on 1809, which had the reported problems.

Still don't know what that has to do with RTX being a part of renderman, or the fact it is currently being used.

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

NVIDIA has RTX extensions for Vulkan. RTX does not require DXR. RTX only implements what DXR requires.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

So everyone knows that it was actually AMD pushing for Ray Tracing in the next DirectX?

That seems strange to me when NVIDIA has had a ray tracing API since at least 2010 and I've heard nothing of the sort from AMD.

Did AMD just not care to show it off or something?

48 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That seems strange to me when NVIDIA has had a ray tracing API since at least 2010 and I've heard nothing of the sort from AMD.

Did AMD just not care to show it off or something?

given the abominable landslide that is GCN it wouldn't surprise me if AMD have been working on it for a long time but had squat worth talking about let alone worth showing.   I imagine getting turin performance out of GCN would be like getting thread ripper performance out of tegra.

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

given the abominable landslide that is GCN it wouldn't surprise me if AMD have been working on it for a long time but had squat worth talking about let alone worth showing.   I imagine getting turin performance out of GCN would be like getting thread ripper performance out of tegra.

Unless something has a dedicated RT unit, I don't think anything will get Turing's RT performance unless the that something is somehow 10 times faster in general scenarios as well. Or whatever the difference between Pascal and Turing was.