Bloomberg says super micro servers sold to Apple and Amazon contain spy chips, all three companies (and department of Homeland security) deny this

spartaman64

I’m convinced now that Bloomberg is just wrong. 

Their journalism has become subpar as of late. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 things stand out to me:

1. why people believe only China are evil in the way they govern does my head in.  All governments to a larger or lesser degree are not very nice.  Generally speaking the bigger the country the bigger the issues therefore the more protective they get and and as a consequence the more insidious the action.  There is a reason NZ, Austrailia, sweden norway etc all have better governance.

2. The same people that think china are the only ones who do evil things are also the ones that think china are incapable of producing anything of quality, therefore there is no need to worry about this because by their logic most of the chips likely will fail and send the data to an invalid URL.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 10/4/2018 at 4:20 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

So there's roughly two ways this can go:

1) More confirmation of why destroying local production was a massive National Security disaster for the USA 

or 

2) Full Scale Fake News!

Either way, this should be fun.

2 Of Course and I hope that Bloomberg gets sued to Smithereens because of this Fake News Story.

Because what ever they mentioned in the article is just untechnical, written by a guy who has no clue what the heck he's writing about, their descriptions are wrong.

And the Pictures of the devices are either an SMD thingy in the 0201 or 0402 size. 

Does anyone really think that you can get the needed intelligence in such a small device?? I don't...

That's usually some really stupid thing like a Resistor, Capacitor, maybe a Coil and at most a diode that is sold in these sizes.

For some real intelligence you need a bigger package and also a couple of more pins. And also some interface to the CPU or something that really has an impact (or Access to the System Memory, wich doesn't really happen these days - IOMMU for the Win). 

This "mystery device" looks like it does something in the CPU Power Supply Section. Maybe its a temperature dependant resistor to measure the temperature there??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 10/5/2018 at 4:42 AM, DrMacintosh said:

I’m convinced now that Bloomberg is just wrong. 

Their journalism has become subpar as of late. 

So another 4Chan Hitjob??

Looks like they troll everyone and everything these days ?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Yeah......let's not pretend China is the only one conducting some form of intricate espionage

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Yeah......let's not pretend China is the only one conducting some form of intricate espionage

your profile pic with that xD lmao

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

No freaking way a rice sized chip with what appears to only have 6 pins be able to tap into the DRAM CPU bus.

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

So another 4Chan Hitjob??

Looks like they troll everyone and everything these days ?

Between okay sign and it's okay to be white and iwave they're on a roll. 

/gif and /pol best boards 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

SuperMicro is one of the top dogs in their field, it would be a pretty big scandal if any of this were true.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

SuperMicro is one of the top dogs in their field, it would be a pretty big scandal if any of this were true.

it would also be a pretty big scandal if it turned out to be rumours started by someone looking to buy cheap shares in profitable companies.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

it would also be a pretty big scandal if it turned out to be rumours started by someone looking to buy cheap shares in profitable companies.

Probably just someone suckered in to the next big break, being technology related a lot of journalists don't have enough knowledge to litmus test this sort of thing and eagerness can get in the way of due diligence by not consulting enough industry experts.

Apple never had any contact with the FBI or any other agency about such an incident. We are not aware of any investigation by the FBI, nor are our contacts in law enforcement.

oh crap! Apple has contacts in the police! The computers are rising up to take over!

image.png.47f4f47e64651d71ccca5fd367cf33fc.png

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Thread cleaned.

As per the Community Standards political discussion isn't allowed. Whilst this thread is inherently political to an extent, it is not an appropriate place to begin discussing international politics or the merit of various countries' actions.

Keep things civil and respectful please, and keep political discussion to a minimum - otherwise this thread will need to be locked.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Does anyone know if this affects pretty much all SuperMicro servers / motherboards?  Or does it mostly affect certain generations / SKUs?

For example, I was maybe thinking of using something like one of these in a NAS build sometime....

762996527_Screenshot(381).thumb.png.da275db01216bc2796ea993335abadd3.png  142546312_Screenshot(382).thumb.png.8fdd4af74758a4a666e21d45f38f0b20.png 

Along with a few of something like these.

205138030_Screenshot(384).thumb.png.a4369df5fca4b4e4a2ade304d7b5456b.png

But, since I already have 5ba70bcd888ba_hs1502CPUIntelCorei3-6100LGA1151Skylake3p7GHz2Cores4Threads3MBCache-SR2HGX536A921BX80662I36100--1b.thumb.jpg.bb3d62b43c7c996081da2332e43d2081.jpg (was in my laptop until I upgraded to a 6700K a couple Black Fridays ago) ... would it be better to get 1566399153_ASRockE3V5WS(LGA1151ECC)-79.99onNewegg-2018-10-08.jpg.17286dd1cb06fcc30f66638d97a2814e.jpg instead?

I'm kinda leaning away from that LGA 1151 option though, because of not having enough PCIe lanes (to add a bunch of LSI SAS HBAs) like the SuperMicro boards have, and DDR4 RAM is crazy expensive, whereas DDR2 is super cheap and even DDR3 isn't all that outgrageous.

Basically, in a nutshell ... is it still safe to get Socket 771, 1366 or 2011 (Sandy Bridge) Supermicro motherboards?

3 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Basically, in a nutshell ... is it still safe to get Socket 771, 1366 or 2011 (Sandy Bridge) Supermicro motherboards?

Older boards yes, if this is true then they wouldn't have had the resources and if not you would still be fine.

Newer ones, wait and see how this plays out.

1 hour ago, ScratchCat said:

Older boards yes, if this is true then they wouldn't have had the resources and if not you would still be fine.

Newer ones, wait and see how this plays out.

What do you think would be the newest safe generation?  The newest I've generally been looking at was X9 (LGA 2011 Sandy/Ivy Bridge), but mostly been looking at X8 (LGA 1366) as well as X7 (LGA 771).  I've also seen maybe a few X10 (LGA 2011-3) and H11 (TR4), but CPUs and RAM would still be a bit pricey, even if I could maybe squeeze a board into the budget.  The oldest ones I've looked at were X6, but I've generally rejected X5 as none of them have PCIe support which would be required to support the LSI SAS HBAs.  (At least, I don't know of any PCI-X or legacy PCI SATA cards that support multiple 6Gb/s drives or drives > 2TB.)

Speaking of budget, I'd ideally like to keep it down such that the entire system, not counting storage, would be cheaper than a single 5400rpm 6 or 8TB HDD, but am also considering expanding it somewhat.  I'm finding that maybe going for like an $100/$155 X8DTH-iF/6F or $225 X9DRH-7F would get me a LOT more PCIe & RAM support than, say, a $55 X7DWE.  Also, X8 is the oldest I've seen that has BIOS updates for Meltdown/Spectre (I forget which is fixed in BIOS vs in OS.)

On 10/8/2018 at 10:14 AM, PianoPlayer88Key said:

What do you think would be the newest safe generation?

I seriously would not worry about this whatsoever.  Even if it is true (which there's YOOOOGE amounts of evidence that says it isn't).  If this supposed chip is actually there, it's inline with the hardware management Ethernet port on the motherboard.  What is sometimes referred to as the DRAC or ILO port on the motherboard.  Not a network port that the OS interacts with.

In other words: if it's there (it isn't...) then the easy solution is: don't connect the hardware management Ethernet port to anything.  And if you do connect that Ethernet port to a network, make sure that network can't NAT outbound to the Internet.  Problem solved.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

The US paranoia with China is off the rails. Meanwhile Russia is doing much worst and no one there cares. Jesus this is insane.

7 minutes ago, asus killer said:

The US paranoia with China is off the rails. Meanwhile Russia is doing much worst and no one there cares. Jesus this is insane.

I guess its because Russia stopped being a treath to the US and west after the Soviet Union collapesed. 

Lets be honest here. china is on road to become the largest world power. India is following suite

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I guess its because Russia stopped being a treath to the US and west after the Soviet Union collapesed. 

Lets be honest here. china is on road to become the largest world power. India is following suite

economically yes, but military no. China is way behind both US and Russia, they still buy a lot of Russian military material because they simply lack the technology, and as far as i know that wont change anytime soon

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/u-s-sanctions-china-for-buying-russian-fighter-jets-missiles/articleshow/65896016.cms

then again i see your point i was seeing this as a military spying and it's in fact economic. 

Serve the home did a investigation on it and this is what they found out.

https://www.servethehome.com/bloomberg-reports-china-infiltrated-the-supermicro-supply-chain-we-investigate/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Bloomberg as it turns out once again, fake news. See Twitter thread below.

https://risky.biz/RB517_feature/

Edit: Here's another one more evidence that Bloomberg is fake news.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-cyber-britain/uk-cyber-security-agency-backs-apple-amazon-china-hack-denials-idUSKCN1MF1DN

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 10/4/2018 at 6:15 AM, spartaman64 said:

unnoticed by their engineers who will probably know the board layout like the back if their hand.

Yes yes yes, this is why the people need to stand up and block asian countries buying up everything, real estate, companies EVERYTHING. Who knows what they are putting into cell phones to dominate the world. Dont have to look far Google and Facebook are major offenders. Greedy!