Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bouzoo

Another one bites the dust. OnePlus to remove headphone jack from 6T

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Really sad times. What was looking to be one of the best phones out there, did a complete 180 and removed one of things that people praised them for. 

Since it's basically a chassis from Oppo R17 which doesn't have tthe headphone jack, they went the same route which is a huge bummer. 

Many people seems will have to skip OnePlus as an upgrade. 

Their logic was just waiting for the right time. 

We also had to think about the negative side [of removing the headphone jack] for our users. We found 59% of our community already owned wireless headphones earlier this year - and that was before we launched our Bullets Wireless headphones.

"If we were to do that [remove the jack] two years ago, the percentage [of wireless headphones owners] would have been much lower and it would have caused a lot of friction for our users

And that is pretty much bs, based on the current feedback which is horrible in other communities. 

Also, more space. 

By removing the jack we've freed up more space, allowing us to put more new technology into the product,

Even more bs. 

I am sure their sales will drop massively, since OP buyers were a niche market as it is, and with this many people are sure to migrate to the likes of LG and Samsung. 

Lots of typos possible, written on phone. 

Source:https://www.techradar.com/news/the-oneplus-6t-wont-have-a-headphone-jack-but-battery-life-will-be-improved 

Edit: Meanwhile, from the current director from OnePlus Global

https://mobile.twitter.com/getpeid/status/974277638603747328

Edited by Bouzoo

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I mean it least it has a REASONABLE notch and a in-screen fingerprint reader. I'll personally be going with the Razer Phone 2 though because large dual speakers.

NotCPUCores Dev | Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

I'll just keep my OnePlus 3 a bit longer then, oh well.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) + Toshiba P300 3TB - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

If this goes on my next phone will be a raspi strapped to a screen and a battery.

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Companies saw that they are serious money to be made with propitiatory dongles. So they all are jumping on that.

Apple makes serious money on this, and so is other manufactures. They realized that consumers will get their phones, regardless, especially that a 2 year old phone is looked down upon and by simple peer pressure will want to get the latest and greatest. And that is reinforced by making battery replacement the most difficult as possible to ensure that consumer doesn't consider that as an option, and switch to a new phones instead.

I expect Samsung to follow suit, I am actually surprised they didn't go for it already. Maybe a US/Canada/China/Middle East special phone, without a headphone plug, and for Europe and the rest with it.

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Companies saw that they are serious money to be made with propitiatory dongles. So they all are jumping on that.

Apple makes serious money on this, and so is other manufactures. They realized that consumers will get their phones, regardless, especially that a 2 year old phone is looked down upon and by simple peer pressure will want to get the latest and greatest. And that is reinforced by making battery replacement the most difficult as possible to ensure that consumer doesn't consider that as an option, and switch to a new phones instead.

I expect Samsung to follow suit, I am actually surprised they didn't go for it already. Maybe a US/Canada/China/Middle East special phone, without a headphone plug, and for Europe and the rest with it.

The worst part is that you're probably right, especially with Apple removing thw adapter from the box with new phones. Then again, how many adapters you have to sell for every person that skips the phone because of headphone jack, especially with most phones having them included. 

I don't believe Samsung will jump on it, they are being regarded as the savior of android because of that and notch. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Umm you do realize that Apple is the only phone manufacturer that makes any significant number of accessories for their device right?

I mean hell the leaks point to Google planning to bundle free USB-C headphones with their upcoming phones, in addition to the free included dongle so to act like it's just an accessory money grab is a bit disingenuous. 

There are very real electrical engineering issues that come up with running analogue audio lines in such a small device, particularly with higher and higher bandwith IO that can cause interference (thus requiring more isolation).

"On the bottom, you'll notice that we ditched the 3.5mm headphone jack. The elegance of the overall design is instantly heightened. And who needs a headphone jack anyway? That's why Bluetooth exists, right?" deadpanned Diego Heinz, a designer at OnePlus. "Just kidding. Of course the OnePlus 5 has a headphone jack." 

No further comment required

Gaming HTPC:

R7 1700X@stock - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - Asus GTX 1080 Strix - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Silverstone SX500-LG - 500gb 960 EVO - Fractal Design Node 202 - Samsung 60KS7090 - Logitech G502 - Thrustmaster T500RS - Noblechairs Icon

Desktop PC:
i7 2600k @stock - H100i GTX - Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe - Asus GTX 1050Ti Strix - 16gb HyperX Fury 1866mhz - EVGA 750G2 - 250gb 840 EVO - 6TB WD My Book Duo (Reds) - Enthoo Evolv ITX - Dell U3415W - Benq XL2411T - Qpad MK-85 Brown - Logitech MX518 - Blue Yeti Platinum - Noblechairs Icon 

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5* - 
250gb 970 Evo - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I expect Samsung to follow suit, I am actually surprised they didn't go for it already

Samsung seems to have its shit together and is not following others. They have never followed the trends really. 

I mean they are cramming a 4,000mah, a jack and a fucking pencil in the Note 9 no problem. Space is not a problem nor is making money off accessories a thing for them. I mean they enabled third party adapters for Dex.

This sucks for people who were hoping OnePlus would hold out, but at the same time... please, folks, don't just hold out hope that the industry will "return to its senses" and start putting jacks in again.  It won't.

I'm almost bracing for what happens if Samsung doesn't include a jack in the S10.  Oh, the weeping and gnashing of teeth that will happen here... before people buy the phone anyway.

Its the end times. The headphone jacks lived in harmony until the Apple nation attacked.

Someone needs to draw up a 3.5mm headphone jack waifu and/or loli to save the headphone jack.  Only they can save us now.

Just your everyday Anime Weeb Time Traveling Mad Scientist Collector

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800X | GPU:  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 | RAM:  32GB G Skill Flare X DDR4-2400 | PSU: EVGA 1000W GQ 80+Gold | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5| Cooler:  Noctua NH-D15 |Case:  NZXT Noctis 450 (White) | Storage: 512GB Samsung SSD + 4TB Western Digital 7200RPM|

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Samsung seems to have its shit together and is not following others. They have never followed the trends really. 

You're joking, right?  It does go its own way in many areas, but this is the company notorious for waiting to see what Apple does and then knocking out an equivalent.  Fingerprint readers, dual cameras, NFC payments...

Until the market can provide me with a viable alternative to the headphone jack I will never buy a phone without one. Simple as that, and I cross another phone off the list.

We also had to think about the negative side [of removing the headphone jack] for our users. We found 59% of our community already owned wireless headphones earlier this year

What? Just because I owned a wireless headset doesn't mean I don't use my 3.5 jack as well.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

You're joking, right?  It does go its own way in many areas, but this is the company notorious for waiting to see what Apple does and then knocking out an equivalent.  Fingerprint readers, dual cameras, NFC payments...

And countless times there are patents for their devices showing it was in a work in progress months before Apple released them. They are not following trends, just late to the game. 

35 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If this goes on my next phone will be a raspi strapped to a screen and a battery.

^^^

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If somebody tries to peer pressure me into buying something or doing something then they're not my friend.

And if I can't swap out the battery or a repair technician I hire can't swap the battery in a phone then I'm not using it.

I would say samsung still can't afford to until there are no more wired headphones.

A large portion of Samsung phone users still rely on wired earphones.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Samsung Galaxy S8 Exynos variant (Late 2018 - present) | Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 2016 Edition (Late 2018 - present) | Lenovo Thinkpad T480 i7-8550U with UHD 620 Graphics (Mid 2018 - present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2019 - present) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I would say samsung still can't afford to until there are no more wired headphones.

A large portion of Samsung phone users still rely on wired earphones.

I actually have an samsung phone with no headphone jack, that came out in 2016-2017.

It came with a pair of usb micro-b earphones.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

I actually have an samsung phone with no headphone jack, that came out in 2016-2017.

It came with a pair of usb micro-b earphones.

Wow.......

Which phone was it?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Samsung Galaxy S8 Exynos variant (Late 2018 - present) | Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 2016 Edition (Late 2018 - present) | Lenovo Thinkpad T480 i7-8550U with UHD 620 Graphics (Mid 2018 - present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2019 - present) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

Well thats dumb

But not surprising as Carl Pei himself said he idolizes Apple, which meant he's just going to emulate stupid design decisions just like every other manufacturer.

OnePlus started out with low price for market penetration. But not hard to see the one thing that made the brand special is quickly eroding away.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Damn, I really like my One Plus 3T, guess Ill find a new phone maker when my phone dies. While I dont use wired headphones all the time, its nice when your battery in your Blue Tooth dies. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants.