Another one bites the dust. OnePlus to remove headphone jack from 6T

Bouzoo

Really sad times. What was looking to be one of the best phones out there, did a complete 180 and removed one of things that people praised them for. 

Since it's basically a chassis from Oppo R17 which doesn't have tthe headphone jack, they went the same route which is a huge bummer. 

Many people seems will have to skip OnePlus as an upgrade. 

Their logic was just waiting for the right time. 

We also had to think about the negative side [of removing the headphone jack] for our users. We found 59% of our community already owned wireless headphones earlier this year - and that was before we launched our Bullets Wireless headphones.

"If we were to do that [remove the jack] two years ago, the percentage [of wireless headphones owners] would have been much lower and it would have caused a lot of friction for our users

And that is pretty much bs, based on the current feedback which is horrible in other communities. 

Also, more space. 

By removing the jack we've freed up more space, allowing us to put more new technology into the product,

Even more bs. 

I am sure their sales will drop massively, since OP buyers were a niche market as it is, and with this many people are sure to migrate to the likes of LG and Samsung. 

Lots of typos possible, written on phone. 

Source:https://www.techradar.com/news/the-oneplus-6t-wont-have-a-headphone-jack-but-battery-life-will-be-improved 

Edit: Meanwhile, from the current director from OnePlus Global

https://mobile.twitter.com/getpeid/status/974277638603747328

Edited by Bouzoo

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I mean it least it has a REASONABLE notch and a in-screen fingerprint reader. I'll personally be going with the Razer Phone 2 though because large dual speakers.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I'll just keep my OnePlus 3 a bit longer then, oh well.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

I was planning on getting the 6T so this is a huge dissapointment. However, I'm still (most likely) going to buy it.

hi

Companies saw that they are serious money to be made with propitiatory dongles. So they all are jumping on that.

Apple makes serious money on this, and so is other manufactures. They realized that consumers will get their phones, regardless, especially that a 2 year old phone is looked down upon and by simple peer pressure will want to get the latest and greatest. And that is reinforced by making battery replacement the most difficult as possible to ensure that consumer doesn't consider that as an option, and switch to a new phones instead.

I expect Samsung to follow suit, I am actually surprised they didn't go for it already. Maybe a US/Canada/China/Middle East special phone, without a headphone plug, and for Europe and the rest with it.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Companies saw that they are serious money to be made with propitiatory dongles. So they all are jumping on that.

Apple makes serious money on this, and so is other manufactures. They realized that consumers will get their phones, regardless, especially that a 2 year old phone is looked down upon and by simple peer pressure will want to get the latest and greatest. And that is reinforced by making battery replacement the most difficult as possible to ensure that consumer doesn't consider that as an option, and switch to a new phones instead.

I expect Samsung to follow suit, I am actually surprised they didn't go for it already. Maybe a US/Canada/China/Middle East special phone, without a headphone plug, and for Europe and the rest with it.

The worst part is that you're probably right, especially with Apple removing thw adapter from the box with new phones. Then again, how many adapters you have to sell for every person that skips the phone because of headphone jack, especially with most phones having them included. 

I don't believe Samsung will jump on it, they are being regarded as the savior of android because of that and notch. 

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Umm you do realize that Apple is the only phone manufacturer that makes any significant number of accessories for their device right?

I mean hell the leaks point to Google planning to bundle free USB-C headphones with their upcoming phones, in addition to the free included dongle so to act like it's just an accessory money grab is a bit disingenuous. 

There are very real electrical engineering issues that come up with running analogue audio lines in such a small device, particularly with higher and higher bandwith IO that can cause interference (thus requiring more isolation).

"On the bottom, you'll notice that we ditched the 3.5mm headphone jack. The elegance of the overall design is instantly heightened. And who needs a headphone jack anyway? That's why Bluetooth exists, right?" deadpanned Diego Heinz, a designer at OnePlus. "Just kidding. Of course the OnePlus 5 has a headphone jack." 

No further comment required

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I expect Samsung to follow suit, I am actually surprised they didn't go for it already

Samsung seems to have its shit together and is not following others. They have never followed the trends really. 

I mean they are cramming a 4,000mah, a jack and a fucking pencil in the Note 9 no problem. Space is not a problem nor is making money off accessories a thing for them. I mean they enabled third party adapters for Dex.

This sucks for people who were hoping OnePlus would hold out, but at the same time... please, folks, don't just hold out hope that the industry will "return to its senses" and start putting jacks in again.  It won't.

I'm almost bracing for what happens if Samsung doesn't include a jack in the S10.  Oh, the weeping and gnashing of teeth that will happen here... before people buy the phone anyway.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Samsung seems to have its shit together and is not following others. They have never followed the trends really. 

You're joking, right?  It does go its own way in many areas, but this is the company notorious for waiting to see what Apple does and then knocking out an equivalent.  Fingerprint readers, dual cameras, NFC payments...

Until the market can provide me with a viable alternative to the headphone jack I will never buy a phone without one. Simple as that, and I cross another phone off the list.

We also had to think about the negative side [of removing the headphone jack] for our users. We found 59% of our community already owned wireless headphones earlier this year

What? Just because I owned a wireless headset doesn't mean I don't use my 3.5 jack as well.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

You're joking, right?  It does go its own way in many areas, but this is the company notorious for waiting to see what Apple does and then knocking out an equivalent.  Fingerprint readers, dual cameras, NFC payments...

And countless times there are patents for their devices showing it was in a work in progress months before Apple released them. They are not following trends, just late to the game. 

35 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If this goes on my next phone will be a raspi strapped to a screen and a battery.

^^^

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If somebody tries to peer pressure me into buying something or doing something then they're not my friend.

And if I can't swap out the battery or a repair technician I hire can't swap the battery in a phone then I'm not using it.

I would say samsung still can't afford to until there are no more wired headphones.

A large portion of Samsung phone users still rely on wired earphones.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I would say samsung still can't afford to until there are no more wired headphones.

A large portion of Samsung phone users still rely on wired earphones.

I actually have an samsung phone with no headphone jack, that came out in 2016-2017.

It came with a pair of usb micro-b earphones.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

I actually have an samsung phone with no headphone jack, that came out in 2016-2017.

It came with a pair of usb micro-b earphones.

Wow.......

Which phone was it?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Wow.......

Which phone was it?

Samsung Folder 2

The disappointing fact is that the first one had a headphone jack, and the second one removed it for no reason.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I don't buy phones without headphone jacks

Only my Samsung and LG left (maybe Pocophones will keep them too?)

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Damn, I really like my One Plus 3T, guess Ill find a new phone maker when my phone dies. While I dont use wired headphones all the time, its nice when your battery in your Blue Tooth dies. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

What he means is no notch, still has 3.5 mm jack, first used amoled, pen in note, (first in wireless charging?). They are not following everything Apple does, otherwise they'd have notch and no 3.5mm.