[Update] Google to be fined 5 billion dollars by the EU for breaching Antitrust laws

ItsMitch

The EU budget is $169 billion. If the EU needed to fine companies to operate they'd better start handing out a lot more fines as it only covers 3%.

i'm glad, Google is an abuser. It destroys any attempt of competition. Screw Google. I really wish some European companies would come up with alternatives to Google, android and windows. The US is terrible at defending competition.

EU did the same for Microsoft when they almost tried to make their shitty browsers the think by force. Thank god that didn't worked out for them.

?epic=YzFkuBq1I8o4CxN0s7cmEdYI%20deOLA4R

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

i'm glad, Google is an abuser. It destroys any attempt of competition. Screw Google. I really wish some European companies would come up with alternatives to Google, android and windows.

Won't happen. Any attempt would be bought or killed if it shows any sliver of success. That's what's happened with most European tech companies.

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission :)

$5 billion ain't bad for where they got.  Call it a cost of doing business.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

2 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

I think it's also to do with the fact you can't uninstall chrome from Android devices too, like, it's literally impossible (as far as I know you're unable to do this with Android 8 and Developer Beta) 

But there's literally a fully usable app store to change search/browsers ..... i don't really get this.... Those who DONT want chrome are more than not likely in the known to search for an alternative via apps or root options. Those who'd have no clue would be better suited with the preloaded chrome etc... what am i missing?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

While I'd say the justification for the fine is... complicated, it is a reminder that Google isn't the champion of the people that some make it out to be.

I still remember how Google not only didn't make apps for Windows Phone (outside of a search app), but actively refused to help Microsoft develop a YouTube app.  Microsoft had committed the unforgivable crime of making a competing search engine, and Google was determined to starve Windows Phone to death as punishment.

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

It is a big deal. To put it in perspective, it is 4.5% of their last year revenue. Not income, but revenue. To put it even more in perspective, Alphabet's net income was $12.66 billion last year. 

Yes, I'm aware. They got dinged with massive 10 billion dollar tax reform bill, it didn't seem to cause much damage to their stock price at all.

This is half that.

2 hours ago, sof006 said:

This will hurt Google. It's a lot of money, no company wants to be fined, especially this kind of money. Also more than a fine it's bad publicity.

For a very short time.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

I think it's also to do with the fact you can't uninstall chrome from Android devices too, like, it's literally impossible (as far as I know you're unable to do this with Android 8 and Developer Beta) 

You also can't uninstall Safari from iOS, and I don't even think you can remove it from the desktop MacOS; likewise with IE/Edge in Windows (and presumably Windows Mobile, my only test platform to verify is WM 6, which is quite old).  If that were a major sticking point, I would think it would affect all the major developers.

It goes beyond just the browser. It's also the store, services and apps. It's about the restrictions put on other companies in the ecosystem. There's many facets, large and small, to this case.

However, I'd still say it walks a fine line due to the nature of Android. There are alternatives to play services, there are alternatives to play store, there are alternatives to Google's apps. But would you want to lose the benefits of Google's ecosystem? The success, or the lack of, of forked Android versions speaks volumes about that idea.

This is absolutely stupid I buy x companies product because I like x companies products and services that they include and not being able to uninstall is perfectly fine just disable it that's what I do on Android. This is a really stupid ruling Apple installs their browser on iPhones and Windows has their browser on their products. Think about this you buy a new device and you have to install everything yourself. I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to have to install a million apps just to use my phone or computer. If you really want to take the ruling to the extreme this could apply to everything from that company so no app stores no camera apps nothing. If their isn't any app store how the frick are you going to download the apps needed for the device to actually do anything. What do they want us to carry around a flash drive so we can install the programs that are supposed to come on a device? Most user's don't even know how to side load an app much less the entire appstore package. The EU needs to stay out of this they don't even understand what this could do to the tech industry as a whole.

It'll be a simple resolution. They'll appeal, the fine will be reduced to something a bit less on the condition that they basically give you options on first startup of what you want installed etc. Much the same as MS had with IE in the EU after that court case.

Wouldn't they only need to go "well what bout apple?" Isn't their ecosystem the most restrictive and rules, rules, rules of them all ?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

33 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Wouldn't they only need to go "well what bout apple?" Isn't their ecosystem the most restrictive and rules, rules, rules of them all ?

Nope, it's all about the market share that android has @ ~74% or something. Brings it in to the realms of monopoly status and so you get much bigger restrictions on what you can do and get away with. If it was Apple with 74% market share, they'd likely be getting hauled over the coals for similar things.

34 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Their market share is a lot smaller. It isn't about restrictions alone. Also, Apple is the sole vendor in the ecosystem. There isn't a Samsung or Huawei that feel unduly disadvantaged by the obligations of iOS.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Yes, I'm aware. They got dinged with massive 10 billion dollar tax reform bill, it didn't seem to cause much damage to their stock price at all.

This is half that.

I don't see any reform bill that slams them with 10 billion. Some new reforms  are even good for them, based on google. Can you source that? I still wouldn't say that a tax reform really affect shares as much as a fine does. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Useless. EU just after money.

If they actually cared for the people, they would have instead make a rule that any browser that comes with any computer/smart device must be completely removable and replaceable without difficulty (unless being locked into specific browser is explicitly requested by customer, or part of its selling feature)

Might as well just fine all criminals $1000 and do jack all to prevent them from repeating an offence.

Or you know, let them go like they do in many parts of Europe already? And places like it in the feces covered, dysfunctional sections of the USA like southern California.

6 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

The European Commission has accused Google of abusing its Android market dominance by bundling its search engine and Chrome apps into the operating system. Google has also allegedly blocked phone makers from creating devices that run forked versions of Android.

I don't know what Google is being accused of honestly. I just read the article on Reuters and nowhere does anyone explain exactly what Google has done wrong or what the EU is really accusing them of. Bundling apps with their own software? Google should be able to decide what they want to do with their own software. Have as many caveats to using Android as they see fit in a free market if people/companies don't like it don't use it. I'm pretty sure I'm probably missing something but it looks as though the EU has fined googled for as far as I'm concerned nothing.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

22 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I don't see any reform bill that slams them with 10 billion. Some new reforms  are even good for them, based on google. Can you source that? I still wouldn't say that a tax reform really affect shares as much as a fine does. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/01/googles-parent-firm-alphabet-takes-10-billion-hit-from-new-u-s-tax-regime-reports-3-billion-loss/

Realistically, a lot of the fine can also be absorbed as tax write offs down the line.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm going to take an unpopular opinion here and say they are just money grabbing here. I don't see anything wrong with android coming with chrome by default, using google search by default. You can change both defaults if you want. You can disable chrome as an app, as well as the google search bar. I don't see anyone fining HP for having their bloatware come by default on hp laptops and desktops, advertising the purchase of an HP printers and ink. I think the EU is forgetting that android is owned by google. If I owned android and had other services to offer, you betcha, I'm going to put those services in my OS. As long as I give people the ability to not use it, I don't see why it's a problem that an android phone has google built into the OS.

4 hours ago, sof006 said:

This will hurt Google. It's a lot of money, no company wants to be fined, especially this kind of money. Also more than a fine it's bad publicity.

As of Dec 2017, Alphabet had close to 100 billion in reserves. This tiny fine is nothing to them, won't even phase them

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Put Google in a brick house with others for X amount of time

You can't lock up a thing that doesn't actually exist. You can only fine it to hurt it.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 hour ago, IntMD said:

Nope, it's all about the market share that android has @ ~74% or something. Brings it in to the realms of monopoly status and so you get much bigger restrictions on what you can do and get away with. If it was Apple with 74% market share, they'd likely be getting hauled over the coals for similar things.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Their market share is a lot smaller. It isn't about restrictions alone. Also, Apple is the sole vendor in the ecosystem. There isn't a Samsung or Huawei that feel unduly disadvantaged by the obligations of iOS.

But can't that be countered with the fact apple won't provide for the lower end market that make up the grand portion of that 74%? That and my previous point of "you CAN change the search and browser options"... Basically the same as windows' Bing and Explorer, no?

This reminds me of MS Windows IE browser included, but later updated so on first launch asks you to choose a web browser of your choice. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Shorty88jr said:

This is absolutely stupid I buy x companies product because I like x companies products and services that they include and not being able to uninstall is perfectly fine just disable it that's what I do on Android. This is a really stupid ruling Apple installs their browser on iPhones and Windows has their browser on their products. Think about this you buy a new device and you have to install everything yourself. I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to have to install a million apps just to use my phone or computer. If you really want to take the ruling to the extreme this could apply to everything from that company so no app stores no camera apps nothing. If their isn't any app store how the frick are you going to download the apps needed for the device to actually do anything. What do they want us to carry around a flash drive so we can install the programs that are supposed to come on a device? Most user's don't even know how to side load an app much less the entire appstore package. The EU needs to stay out of this they don't even understand what this could do to the tech industry as a whole.

It seems you are the one who doesn't understand what this can do to the tech industry as a whole. The same thing happened with Internet Explorer and Windows a few years back. The only thing they needed to do to comply was offer the option to pick IE or a different browser after installing the OS. Google can simply do the same, offer the ability to use the default apps or pick your own during initial set up.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

26 minutes ago, Centurius said:

It seems you are the one who doesn't understand what this can do to the tech industry as a whole. The same thing happened with Internet Explorer and Windows a few years back. The only thing they needed to do to comply was offer the option to pick IE or a different browser after installing the OS. Google can simply do the same, offer the ability to use the default apps or pick your own during initial set up.

Why should they it's their freaking product. That's like going to the most popular restaurant in town ordering pasta and the waiter asking if you want the sauce from their competition because most people don't like the competitions so they are required to give you the option to make it fair. Like what the heck life's not fair if your product isn't doing well against the competition figure out how to make it do well. People will vote with their money they don't need a court to decide what apps they want on  their phone. Besides they aren't keeping you from installing a different browser.