Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 hours ago, pierom_qwerty said:

My new project car. '76 Cadillac Sedan Deville with an 8.2L V8 and a carborator. Well, new for me at least.

ALL 200hp and 350lbft of low compression emissions controlled MURICAN V8 with FWD! All the wins!

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

Welcome to a person who loves late 90s and early 2000s cars overall.

But there's so many much better cars from that era. That covers like 3 generations of Toyota Celica, 3 generations of Mitsubishi Eclipse (if you want something USA built), a WHOLE slew of weird makes and models like the whole Eagle lineup (the Summit is weird!), the Toyota Previa a mid engine AWD super charged VAN, I mean come on man there's better weird cars than a Lincoln Towncar and even better weird cars that are more reliable.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

ALL 200hp and 350lbft of low compression emissions controlled MURICAN V8 with FWD! All the wins!

But there's so many much better cars from that era. That covers like 3 generations of Toyota Celica, 3 generations of Mitsubishi Eclipse (if you want something USA built), a WHOLE slew of weird makes and models like the whole Eagle lineup (the Summit is weird!), the Toyota Previa a mid engine AWD super charged VAN, I mean come on man there's better weird cars than a Lincoln Towncar and even better weird cars that are more reliable.

Lmao, the car was 500 bucks and ive only had to put in 50ish to replace the alternator and itll be another 20ish to repair the cable leading from the transmission to the speedometer

i like trains 🙂

17 hours ago, IKnight said:

@JarskyLooks good, but I must ask why go with a quick-release in an r33? Not like you're hurting for space in it. 

The car gets parked outside, and while my neighbourhood isn't too bad, its not great either for opportunistic thieves.....I take the wheel off while its parked and put a lock on it. The lock spins so you cant just put grips on it to steer. 

Also i'm 6'2 so the extra length is a nice spacer. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

8 hours ago, Jarsky said:

The car gets parked outside, and while my neighbourhood isn't too bad, its not great either for opportunistic thieves.....I take the wheel off while its parked and put a lock on it. The lock spins so you cant just put grips on it to steer. 

Add insult to injury and install a kill switch >:) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Add insult to injury and install a kill switch >:) 

Or just pull the fuel pump/injectors fuse? Re-Install when you want to drive the car 

that’s the easiest way to do it in a pinch. Or if you have to leave your car somewhere 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Or just pull the fuel pump/injectors fuse? Re-Install when you want to drive the car 

that’s the easiest way to do it in a pinch. Or if you have to leave your car somewhere 

Better is to have a toggle switch that lets you swap the crank signal wire from the starter to the horn relay, each time they hit crank the horn honks. That'll run  someone off pretty quick. Actually had an old car in the shop once that needed the headlights turned on to start it, the headlight circuit provided the coil power while cranking the engine instead of the starter I terminal, if anyone is old enough to remember the S and I terminals on starters and ballast resistors.

Seeing as we've all been stuck at home, decided to finally do some maintenance that I thought was going to be a  massive PITA. Replacing all spark plugs and coils, as well as installing an M3 strut brace seeing as I'd be taking out the stock strut brace anyway.

The amount of cowling that you have to remove to get to cylinders 3, 4, 5 and 6 is kind of ridiculous. Not too bad though, luckily no plastic clips, it's all hex head screws. Getting it back on is actually the harder part.

IMG_20200508_164904.thumb.jpg.cdf60f47782b3d359520ee1f6d9f2581.jpg

M3 Brace fits right on, though getting the central mount to the bulkhead is a bit of a pain.

IMG_20200508_185352.thumb.jpg.e45d1f3eb3b3693e0e9fcb35b1645633.jpg

Cowling back on. Shame that it covers up so much of the brace. Also put my BMS intake back on after running on stock for a little while. 

IMG_20200508_205050.thumb.jpg.2bf5454463b14b88ce1534608ace4038.jpg

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Seeing as we've all been stuck at home, decided to finally do some maintenance that I thought was going to be a  massive PITA. Replacing all spark plugs and coils, as well as installing an M3 strut brace seeing as I'd be taking out the stock strut brace anyway.

The amount of cowling that you have to remove to get to cylinders 3, 4, 5 and 6 is kind of ridiculous. Not too bad though, luckily no plastic clips, it's all hex head screws. Getting it back on is actually the harder part.

M3 Brace fits right on, though getting the central mount to the bulkhead is a bit of a pain.

Cowling back on. Shame that it covers up so much of the brace. Also put my BMS intake back on after running on stock for a little while. 

Yup! I hate doing valve covers on those 6 cyl BMW not because doing the valve cover is hard but because the layers of stuff overhanging the engine and because everything back there is so heat baked it gets brittle.

Side note, more deer today!

On 5/7/2020 at 7:03 PM, PandaCopyRight said:

i would have gotten a 2018 V60 ... if it wasnt nearly 3x as much as the V40 i got 
Man the V60 was a great car ... and fuck ... its still for sale ... 3k cheaper than back then tho 😮  
2018 D4 with an automagic 8 speed and 12k km 

~snip~

there was also a 2014 S60 T5 awd automatic .... that was just brought in when i got my V40 ... but i cant afford the fuel for that beast especially knowing it would be dailied around town only ... plus it was sedan in a weird ass color combo ... nice dark blue exterior and the diarrhea light brown interior .... thing got sold about few hours after i got my V40. I do like my little glorified focus tho :P 

Not gonna lie, new Volvos are freaking expensive.... The s90 (b6 i think?) and xc60 I checked out were both around 70,000euros.... Granted nearly fully loaded xD. And yeah, v60s are really nice - like a baby v90 haha. What year is your little upbadged focus? ;) The light/dark brown interiors can be surprisingly nice irl, atleast thats what I thought. Granted the outside has to be black or white or something similar lol. 

On 5/8/2020 at 12:03 AM, iDeFecZx said:

I mean, how you gonna steal a car with no steering wheel?

I thought you'd know ;)

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

4 hours ago, IKnight said:

I thought you'd know ;)

BYOSW — its all the rage these days 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

31 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Dude that used to come out to Celica meets had a 7th gen that was 'full race' because he's an egineer with big orange mud flaps, poorly made light pod on the hood, full cage, lowered with good suspension, and on it's 3rd engine because hydrolocked the other ones. Of course he had a removable steering wheel. So of course hijinx ensued and someone stole it and hid it at the meet. It was pretty funny.

Sadly the guy's a total assface, don't know if he's like a narcissist or autistic or just has zero clue how to socialize or what but he's a complete jerk and alienated the whole car community around Chicago from himself but can't seem to get his head out of his butt to see it. It's too bad, he's not like a bad guy he's just fucking awful to deal with and will screw someone over then turn right around and ask for help then be offended when we don't want to help him. I guess that does kind of make him a bad guy...

@Aniallation

Mazda Familia BJ? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

5 hours ago, Aniallation said:

Still here and still haven't let go of my Protege obsession.

Latest shitbox:

~snap~

@terrytekWhats the ass dynos verdict on this one? ;) 

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Pikey 😘 edit: wait i thought Dan wrote that. my bad....

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Just now, IKnight said:

Not gonna lie, new Volvos are freaking expensive.... The s90 (b6 i think?) and xc60 I checked out were both around 70,000euros.... Granted nearly fully loaded xD. And yeah, v60s are really nice - like a baby v90 haha. What year is your little upbadged focus? ;) The light/dark brown interiors can be surprisingly nice irl, atleast thats what I thought. Granted the outside has to be black or white or something similar lol. 

the V60 i looked at was 36k it was a somewhat weird spec cause an ex-demo car ... but it looked perfect inside .... hate that i couldnt afford to get it :( 

ill have you know my little V40 is a 2015 and nearly fully loaded ... no focus even stands near the spec :P 

Also over here id rather go for the V60 ... A. it looks nicer B.i dont need the largest car possible C. its cheaper D. easier to park

the seats literally looked like someone had sharted all over the interior and the smeared it over the seats to perfectly cover them and nothing else ... it was fucking terrible looking... but the exterior color was quite beautiful ... being a dark metallic blue 👌

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

2 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

the V60 i looked at was 36k it was a somewhat weird spec cause an ex-demo car ... but it looked perfect inside .... hate that i couldnt afford to get it :( 

ill have you know my little V40 is a 2015 and nearly fully loaded ... no focus even stands near the spec :P 

Also over here id rather go for the V60 ... A. it looks nicer B.i dont need the largest car possible C. its cheaper D. easier to park

the seats literally looked like someone had sharted all over the interior and the smeared it over the seats to perfectly cover them and nothing else ... it was fucking terrible looking... but the exterior color was quite beautiful ... being a dark metallic blue 👌

Soo, you've got a pimped focus? ;)

And yeah I'd go with a v60 too, personally. S90 was too damn big hahah. 

Also yup, that leather colour sounds prettyyyy bad... 

In other news, got hit by a cab doing an illegal u-turn..... IMG_20200509_213339.thumb.jpg.2a7ee7827b3289c756b4488638e686ee.jpgIMG_20200509_213347_1.thumb.jpg.73b03ef4b19eea9fede31f6394059f97.jpg

Camber gang, yo! 

7 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

@Aniallation

Mazda Familia BJ? 

Yep. Well, it's the Protege here in North America, but Familia in most other places of the world. 

"Rawr XD"

On 5/10/2020 at 12:23 AM, IKnight said:

Soo, you've got a pimped focus? ;)

And yeah I'd go with a v60 too, personally. S90 was too damn big hahah. 

Also yup, that leather colour sounds prettyyyy bad... 

no it will be pimped when i get around to getting some fancy wheels for summer tires

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

no it will be pimped when i get around to getting some fancy wheels for summer tires

fat multi piece wheels with tyres that arent wide enough?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

59 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

fat multi piece wheels with tyres that arent wide enough?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK that

Current idea is this at 17x7
momo-revenge-road-wheels-d.png

Despite the weird styling and low quality interior, the Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth Neon is actually a really capable car.

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

GSX750ES is in its new garage now! Checked out the chain and sprockets properly and besides a bit of tentioning needed they seem in good nic. Got all the loose rust flushed out of the tank too, took a while but now it's finally ready for the rust converter to go in. Once I have done that and gotten the fuel tap to unfreeze its time to put some new fuel in the bike and take it for a putt about. Might just sell it once I'm at that stage tbh, pretty much lost interest in it. Feels like my GS500E all over again and it's just not really fun to do the same bike twice.

Speaking of the GS500E I have absolutely no clue what's going on with it. It got towed away to a workshop and they haven't answered my emails or calls. It's been there over a week now... :( ssucks to not have anything to ride, I am really not enjoying taking public transport everywhere -_-

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Damn, this is one hell of a steal!  Sale ends at midnight.  If you were wanting a 1/2" cordless impact this is the time to buy.  I know I was talking earlier in the thread about wanting a 1/2" cordless for tire changes, and I just cannot pass this up.  And you also get a lifetime warranty if you register the gun with Rigid.

Over 50% off a Rigid 18v 1/2" impact at Home Depot with battery and charger for $150.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-4-Mode-Compact-Impact-Wrench-Kit-with-1-4-Ah-Battery-and-18-Volt-Charger-R86011SB/303037082

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

My car just had a MOT test and it's not looking good...
image.png.6bb14e2de44006d8ecf24df7b2a44ef6.png

Big yikes, can't wait for the expensive bill I'm getting!

The brakes and bearing, I knew they needed replacing for about 3 months but didn't really get a chance to do anything about it (damn 'rona).

Coils, it's one of the most common failures so not surprised. 

Front tyres are getting pretty close to legal limit but is fine for now.

Nail in offside rear tyre doesn't surprise me as it has slowly been leaking air (about 2psi/month). 

The rest aren't as important, especially the headlight issue as Alfa's mounting system for the bulb is stoopid, can barely get my thin hands in so wouldn't be surprised if when I replaced my bulbs, I didn't "clip it all the way in". 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

My car just had a MOT test and it's not looking good...

Big yikes, can't wait for the expensive bill I'm getting!

that looks rough.

I feel the needing to do brakes and putting it off

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs