Windows PC numbers going down the drain - at least for those connect to the web

source: http://gs.statcounter.com/press/android-overtakes-windows-for-first-time

San Francisco, CA and Dublin, Ireland; 3rd April, 2017: Google’s Android has overtaken Microsoft Windows for the first time as the world’s most popular operating system (OS) in terms of total internet usage across desktop, laptop, tablet and mobile combined.

The research arm of StatCounter, the independent web analytics company, finds that in March, Android topped the worldwide OS internet usage market share with 37.93%, which puts it marginally ahead of Windows  (37.91%) for the first time.

seCbvhg.png

like it or not, PC market share is going weaker and weaker in favor of Android and iOS mobile devices

you've been hearing left and right PC is dying ... like it or not, here's the data - casual users are dropping Windows PCs like flies

Percentages really don't mean anything to me if I don't have actual numbers to go along with it.

For example, what if in Mar 2012 the total number of devices was 1 billion and today the total number is 2.5 billion? That doesn't tell me the PC market is dying. It's just stale.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

casual users are dropping Windows PCs like flies

Android topped the worldwide OS internet usage market share with 37.93%, which puts it marginally ahead of Windows  (37.91%) for the first time.

STOP THE PRESSES EVERYONE, ANDROID BEAT WINDOWS BY 0.02%

PC IS DEAD AS A DOORNAIL

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Percentages really don't mean anything to me if I don't have actual numbers to go along with it.

For example, what if in Mar 2012 the total number of devices was 1 billion and today the total number is 2.5 billion? That doesn't tell me the PC market is dying. It's just stale.

Google claimed there were 1.4 billion Android devices out there in 2015, while there were 1.25 billion Windows computers in 2011.

I wouldn't consider this to be "casuals are dropping Windows like flies" or proof that the desktop PC is a dying species. 0.02% is not a huge percentage difference.

im not sure how anyone can use Android over windows for anything more then document wrighting and youtube, if thats all you are doing then sure why i guess. personaly i want to drop windows like a hot potato but none of the games i play run on OpenGL or vulcan so thats a dead idea

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

33 minutes ago, Daring said:

Google claimed there were 1.4 billion Android devices out there in 2015, while there were 1.25 billion Windows computers in 2011.

I wouldn't consider this to be "casuals are dropping Windows like flies" or proof that the desktop PC is a dying species. 0.02% is not a huge percentage difference.

In fact, if you move from a situation in which everyone uses a PC to a situation in which everyone uses a PC and an Android device to browse the internet, the percentages would go from 100%-0% to 50%-50% without anyone dropping their PCs at all.

(Except Linus. You can count on him dropping it.)

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im not sure how anyone can use Android over windows for anything more then document wrighting and youtube, if thats all you are doing then sure why i guess. personaly i want to drop windows like a hot potato but none of the games i play run on OpenGL or vulcan so thats a dead idea

Most all people need is messaging, the internet, watching videos, email and maybe viewing a doc once a month. 

*that is most, not all people like you and i* 

And Android/iOS offers that and had offered it for years. Which is just my guess on these numbers. People prefer portalable and good enough rather than bulky and overpowered for their task 

19 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

stale means that people are holding to their old devices and OEMs are selling in very low numbers - that hurts the industry as a whole; this trend forces the manufacturing price to go up and with it, the retail price

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

stale means that people are holding to their old devices and OEMs are selling in very low numbers - that hurts the industry as a whole; this trend forces the manufacturing price to go up and with it, the retail price

It still doesn't mean:

casual users are dropping Windows PCs like flies

Just now, zMeul said:

yeah it does

Reveal hidden contents

7TIMNYR.png

Again, percentages without actual numbers don't mean anything. Here's how I could interpret the original data you posted:

• People added another device on top of what they used.
  • People ditched their original device to use the one they use now.

So unless we see the actual numbers over time, percentages don't mean anything other than their face value and you can't really gleam anything conclusive from it.

These are percentages... they don't indicate that windows pcs are selling less than they were, it just means that android devices are selling more than windows pcs. And it makes sense when you consider most people have one or two pcs at most which last for 6-7 years whereas phones and tablets are replaced much more regularly (and there tend to be more of them per family).

It's also worth noting that some devices which could be cathegorized as pcs run android or linux (out of the 9 intel based computers in my house, 7 are running linux).

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

But again - the statistic doesn't show windows pc sales going down, they are just proportionally lower than android sales (by a small margin).

PCs have been "dying" for the last 10 years according to popular media, what changed now?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

you are back again to the point where you said PC market is stagnating, and I'd reply with the same point like last time -_-

what you fail to understand is that a "stagnating" market is a not a developing market, it's not a market that evolves - it's a market where there's planned obsolescence, forced upgrades

like we see with MicroSoft and their fanatical push with Windows 10 - why do you think this is happening!?!? because the market is not healthy 

MS with their own words: https://betanews.com/2015/12/29/microsoft-explains-why-its-pushing-windows-10-so-aggressively-spoiler-its-to-keep-you-safe/

So, we really are trying to push people to get to Windows 10. Now, the good thing about Windows is that lots and lots of people care, and you get constant feedback. You know, we’re willing to put up with some level of discomfort if we feel like we are getting more and more people to a safer, better operating system that’s frankly better for everyone in the ecosystem. It’s better for Intel, it’s better for Dell, HP, it’s better for our customers, but there’s no doubt we’re trying to find the right balance. There’s no doubt if we could start it all over we would have done a couple of things differently, I think.

The reality is with most modern devices, people just take it for granted that the device is going to be constantly updated. Whether it’s your iPhone, your Android tablet, or what have you, people are very, very comfortable with that notion. Xbox One owners are very comfortable with that notion that it’s just going to stay up to date. PCs, because of the history, and the legacy, it’s slightly uncomfortable for more people, and so we’re going to keep at it. We are going to try to find that right balance, but we just know there’s a lot of people out there who constantly kick the can down the street without a little bit more of a, frankly, a push.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3213/build-2015-microsofts-goal-of-over-one-billon-windows-10-devices

“We are going on record, this is the goal,” Microsoft executive vice president of operating systems Terry Myerson told me. “Our ambition is to see one billion Windows 10 devices within two to three years.”

why are "we" pretending this isn't happening?! IT IS!

So people that have PCs also have smartphones. And pretty much everyone does have smartphone, they're cheap and can serve well for casual Internet use which many do. Many have more than one. 

Every newborn now gets a smartphone, so they don't usually all get laptop for example later. Cause they don't need it for shit like FB YT twitter Instagram. Many are casual users as that too. 

Also, people tend to buy new smartphone very often, it ads to new connected devices way faster than pc or laptops. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

PCs have been "dying" for the last 10 years according to popular media, what changed now?

it's not because of popular media" !

it's the data OEMs disclosed - it's the OEMs that told the media the PC market is dwindling and it kept shrinking

when JPR publishes data, they don't pull it out of their asses, they go to the OEMs

11 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

So people that have PCs also have smartphones. And pretty much everyone does have smartphone, they're cheap and can serve well for casual Internet use which many do. Many have more than one. 

Every newborn now gets a smartphone, so they don't usually all get laptop for example later. Cause they don't need it for shit like FB YT twitter Instagram. Many are casual users as that too. 

Also, people tend to buy new smartphone very often, it ads to new connected devices way faster than pc or laptops. 

what do people buy?

expensive crap from either Samsung or Apple - the price of a phone is enough to cover a video card, and at times the high end ones

Spoiler

IT3PtVH.png

and they're changing their phones like I change my socks

well to be fair, andoird is also being run on fridges, televisions and what not these days, I doubt they only counted mobile phones here.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's not because of popular media" !

it's the data OEMs disclosed - it's the OEMs that told the media the PC market is dwindling and it kept shrinking

when JPR publishes data, they don't pull it out of their asses, they go to the OEMs

Data is just data, what it means is to be interpreted. I think your interpretation is incorrect (along with the tabloids that have been harping on about this for years). OEMs disclose sales numbers, and those numbers have shrank (although slowly and they seem to have stabilized) - that doesn't mean the market is dead. It's just a natural fluctuation, a result of the way the market works.

Carey Holzman actually discussed the topic a couple of weeks ago, it's an interesting video:

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Carey Holzman

I've seen couple of his videos and he seems like a nice guy and all, but he's talking out of his ass

plus he does make some childish mistakes with his top clients builds - but that's not the topic of this thread

if you want to look at the hard data, find JPR market research papers

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That sir is a very clever argument. I would have missed that point totally.

27 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what do people buy?

expensive crap from either Samsung or Apple - the price of a phone is enough to cover a video card, and at times the high end ones

Hide contents

IT3PtVH.png

and they're changing their phones like I change my socks

Hmm Samsung haves many cheap devices too. 

But today's flagship s cost like regular laptop. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Considering that it's very probable for folks to have multiple android devices but only one Windows PC (per individual). I'm surprised it took this long.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus