Cooler master gets tired of telling parents about thermal compound, changes tube design

PCDCobby

Did it occur to anyone that the tweet was, in fact, a joke?

Maybe it's not a sign of the degradation of society and instead someone from Cooler Master PR made a funny. Just a wild theory. 

I honestly would have expected this outrage to be about Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut since it actually has a syringe looking end.Image result for thermal grizzly conductonaut

1 hour ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I honestly would have expected this outrage to be about Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut since it actually has a syringe looking end.Image result for thermal grizzly conductonaut

If you actually want your parents to check you in to rehab then this is what you need...

https://www.coollaboratory.com/product/coollaboratory-liquid-pro/

produkt_liquid_pro_01.jpg.8e3ebb6b19ffc4f678e674bb7c44d038.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Going to be fun applying that using the X method.

Which we know is the best method.

Don't @ me

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 hours ago, Waffles13 said:

Maybe it's not a sign of the degradation of society and instead someone from Cooler Master PR made a funny. Just a wild theory. 

Yup, Cooler Master made a funny. They had a new product to promote. They turned to social media (as most companies do) and decided to take a humorous approach instead of posting something dry and matter of fact. It worked, people are re-tweeting and talking about it.

4 hours ago, Waffles13 said:

I think it says more about our low expectations of the common sense of many parents. CM may have been joking, but you just know they got at least one actual complaint, (which probably inspired their announcement joke), like that.

16 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

My man! We are in the same boat. I never spread. I always get getter results, when not spreading.

Sometimes I spread. It can feel quite liberating and invigorating.

#Muricaparrotgang

16 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Always funny when parents can't trust their kids when they say that tubes of thermal paste are actually tubes of thermal paste and not some mystery drug. Like come the fuck on, it isn't that hard to read the tube.

I'm imagining this scenario now:
140207-motherandteenageson-stock.jpg
Mom: Jimmy we need to talk, your father and I are concerned about you using this... "Arctic Silver".
Jimmy: Oh don't worry Mom I moved onto Thermal Grizzly now!
Mom: *starts crying* Hes moving to stronger things.
Jimmy: Well yeah its lot better, and makes everything cooler.
Mom: JIMMY! Drugs aren't "Cool"!
Jimmy: ... Wut?

19 hours ago, Waffles13 said:

i mean a google search and a reddit post shows that it does happen. and idk this this is just a bad product otherwise since i cant use the pea method anymore

@DildorTheDecent u mot m8?

:D

Remember, friends don't let friends do thermal paste!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 1/17/2020 at 9:07 AM, handymanshandle said:

Always funny when parents can't trust their kids when they say that tubes of thermal paste are actually tubes of thermal paste and not some mystery drug. Like come the fuck on, it isn't that hard to read the tube.

I'ma about given up on people. I was told yesterday "educating people is bad, because they could do bad things". Not, "you need to be responsible when/how you educate" or "people wish to learn knowledge without responsibility/safety", just "knowledge bad,mkay!". ?‍♂️

I am scared for people who react poorly to normal things. But I would assume this is partly a joke advert, and partly just marketing/differentiating the product.

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

i mean a google search and a reddit post shows that it does happen. and idk this this is just a bad product otherwise since i cant use the pea method anymore

It's great, they now look like e-cigs, so no worry... oh.

Traditional Jams, Jellies & Spreads | Welch's

Industrial sized bottle. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 1/17/2020 at 8:13 AM, TVwazhere said:

It's sad, honestly. But then again I've seen crazier things for parents to get upset about so...

O yeah.....

I still remember when parents down here went ape crazy about Pokemon cards, MTG, Harry Potter, etc.  :I  I ain't kidding, some even went as far as burning said items.  Even some schools going as far to ban such (they even banned playing cards while I was HS back then).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

18 hours ago, Founders said:

Yup, Cooler Master made a funny. They had a new product to promote. They turned to social media (as most companies do) and decided to take a humorous approach instead of posting something dry and matter of fact. It worked, people are re-tweeting and talking about it.

It just astounds me how many people here think that CM seriously redesigned an entire product line due to a couple of theoretical absurd and unreasonable complaints, and not as a marketing gimmick. 

Also, to the people complaining about the not being able to do the "pea method": it doesn't matter. Every outlet that has done testing has shown that application method doesn't matter. There is no technique outside of making sure the IHS is completely covered. Anyone telling you otherwise is just peddling nonsense. 

In today's news:

Cooler Master and Ice -T squared off about who's really your "Pusher"....... And Ice-T won.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

47 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

O yeah.....

I still remember when parents down here went ape crazy about Pokemon cards, MTG, Harry Potter, etc.  :I  I ain't kidding, some even went as far as burning said items.  Even some schools going as far to ban such (they even banned playing cards while I was HS back then).

To be fair. Most of those cards do prey on young kids. Not quite levels of gambling/microtransaction. But still some trouble.

30 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

It just astounds me how many people here think that CM seriously redesigned an entire product line due to a couple of theoretical absurd and unreasonable complaints, and not as a marketing gimmick. 

Also, to the people complaining about the not being able to do the "pea method": it doesn't matter. Every outlet that has done testing has shown that application method doesn't matter. There is no technique outside of making sure the IHS is completely covered. Anyone telling you otherwise is just peddling nonsense. 

Yes, but the pea method gets less gunk everywhere. XD

30 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

Exactly, as long as the IHS is adequately covered you're good.

spacer.png 

Article

On 1/17/2020 at 9:42 AM, yolosnail said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I keep a tube of MX-2 under my monitor for emergencies and nobody has ever questioned it before!

I feel like CM's post was more for the meme than anything else!

Reveal hidden contents

I apologise for using the phrase 'for the meme'

Tbh i have no idea how anyone would mistake thermal paste for a drug needle.

Obv theres plenty of people that have never shot up. But they had to of went to the doctor and gotten a shot before. 

Also as soon as they pop the top of it off they would see theres no needle.

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

Yes, but the pea method gets less gunk everywhere. XD

A thin layer manually spread also doesn't make a mess. Or a thin line, or multiple dots, or a CM-syringe-looking smudge. And, in the case of HEDT chips, a regular pea size may actually not adequately cover the IHS unless you make a big honking pea, in which case you has better be real good at estimating size lest you go too big and still make a mess. 

Personally, ever since people started actually benchmarking application methods rather than just taking the community on its word, I went from pea to just manually spreading. It makes no difference in thermals and personally I prefer the piece of mind of knowing that my entire IHS is covered. For a regular non-HEDT chip, it's really hard to screw up application unless you just squeeze half a tube into a single CPU and try to smash it down (and even then it won't affect thermals as long as it's a nonconductive paste). 

Spoiler

Also in somewhat related news, does anyone have any real info on Kryonaut Extreme? GN Steve mentioned it in a video a few days ago and I can't find any announcement or anything. 

Theory:

This is actually a ploy to get people to use more thermal paste and thus they sell more, making more $.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

16 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Theory:

This is actually a ploy to get people to use more thermal paste and thus they sell more, making more $.

I'd say it's much more likely a ploy to say to new PC builders "look, our thermal paste comes in a tube that will make it easier* to apply your thermal paste. *not actually any easier".

I know when I was building my first PC, the most stressful part was applying paste because it's pretty much the only aspect that isn't "plug thing into slot". If CM is the only paste on the market with a Unique Patented Easy Applicator Design™, then they are probably hoping to appeal to that market. It's just a ploy to stand out among the dozens of identical tubes of paste on the market. 

4 hours ago, TechyBen said:

To be fair. Most of those cards do prey on young kids. Not quite levels of gambling/microtransaction. But still some trouble.

The deal was not about that aspect of the trading card games though.  Most parents in region I was at dislike it because well, bible belt (aka, those where being viewed as the devil tools).  Hence, I mention the burning part (this also occurred to certain books like Harry Potter where even schools where banning those books in the area for a time).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU