Xbox Series X

The1Dickens
On 12/13/2019 at 3:56 AM, ravenshrike said:

The one major advantage that MS will have over Sony for this console generation is VRS. Depending on how well it actually works in practice.

I dont think it will last very long if not at all as AMD have something in the works and if not already working on PS5 dev kits. I would find it very hard to believe that the next generation will be more than 5% apart in performance if that.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-variable-rate-shading-patent-navi-next-gen-consoles

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

9 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Yeah, but those games all look like shit because they aren't on PC, so they're not worth playing.

Don't be a elitist douchebag and/or troll. The games listed are all gorgeous, regardless of if they'd look better on PC. And their gameplay amazing, so the only one missing out here is you.

Don't be so closed minded. Or a troll. Or both xD 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

17 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

-Build your own PC and install Game Core OS and make your own custom Xbox Series X console

At this point why not just stick to Windows? Xbox controllers works flawlessly on Windows 10 and pretty much every game on the Xbox is available on Windows.

Besides to make it even more compelling, Sony is starting to bring their exclusives to PC:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69253/sony-brings-more-ps4-games-pc-exclusives-follow/index.html

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

At this point why not just stick to Windows? Xbox controllers works flawlessly on Windows 10 and pretty much every game on the Xbox is available on Windows.

The UI will be better for the living room and you won't have all kind of services running in the background that you don't need if you only want a gaming console. Or at least they could create a "Game Mode" that switch the UI.

1 minute ago, Viper9 said:

The UI will be better for the living room and you have all kind of services running in the background that you don't need if you only want a gaming console. Or at least they could create a "Game Mode" that switch the UI.

I don't personally have much of an issue using a computer as my living room "console"... but I suppose UI are personal preference matters.

The computer has access to all the services and more as well... so it's really only a matter of getting used or not on how to get there.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

I don't personally have much of an issue using a computer as my living room "console"... but I suppose UI are personal preference matters.

The computer has access to all the services and more as well... so it's really only a matter of getting used or not on how to get there.

I can see it being beneficial if you are letting your kids or less technically adept family members use it as a console. The easier they can navigate and get into the content they are looking for, the better. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

I think the main advantage of having it setup with a console OS would be the ability to navigate the OS via controller rather than requiring the use of mouse and keyboard as that can be a bit awkward to use on a couch compared to a controller. 

I don't know why they are doing this when the Scarlet in coming out. Woudln't they want to drive the most people to the scarlett first?

Pumas.EXE has stopped responding...

• CPU
    RYZEN 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    ASROCK B450 PRO 4
  • RAM
    16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • GPU
    PowerColor RX 5700
  • Case
    Corsair Carbide 275r
  • Storage
    intel 660p 512 GB
  • PSU
    PowerSpec PS650BSM

12 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

Are you seriously trying to say that God of War looks like shit?  Red Dead 2 (before it came to PC) looked like shit? Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy looked like shit?  

You need to have your eyes examined, or maybe they're covered in shit from your head being up your ass ?

You haven't read the previous posts have you?

But otherwise something about God Of War looked very off to me but I can't nail what.

9 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I never said consoles were trash or that they dont have their place I am merely stating that to say 4k for consoles and 4k for pc are not equivalent metrics and that the marketing of 4k is somewhat misleading when people assume they are same. 

It is the same. 4K is a resolution.

3 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

Don't be a elitist douchebag and/or troll. The games listed are all gorgeous, regardless of if they'd look better on PC. And their gameplay amazing, so the only one missing out here is you.

Don't be so closed minded. Or a troll. Or both xD 

You also didn't read the last 4 comments.

#Muricaparrotgang

9 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I never said consoles were trash or that they dont have their place I am merely stating that to say 4k for consoles and 4k for pc are not equivalent metrics and that the marketing of 4k is somewhat misleading when people assume they are same. 

4K is just a resolution.

4K on a PC and 4K on a console is the same - they both have resolutions of 3840 x 2160.

Now if you want to talk about graphical fidelity - sure, a high end gaming PC running a modern AAA title at Ultra/maxed graphics settings is going to look better, in most cases, than the same game on a One X or PS4 Pro.

But that's not 4K. That's not resolution.

Further to that, were you not the one that claimed that consoles didn't do "true 4K"? Which is straight up false.

I don't disagree that marketing uses 4K as a catch-all that may imply more than it is - but that happens regardless of whether it's PC, Console, AppleTV, or whatever.

Current gen "pro" versions of the consoles can do 4K. Period. "True" 4K. The next gen ones will also be able to do 4K - possibly at higher frame rates even - likely with much better fidelity than the current gen consoles.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

I have a PC and an Xbox One. I've mainly been using the Xbox as of late, it's just more convenient and fits in my wall unit better than my tower. If I were to build a PC for the living room I could build a Mini-ATX system that would fit well and use Steam Big Picture mode but I honestly wouldn't get enough use out of it. The Xbox is just easier for now. I don't know how the Series X will fit in my wall unit though. ? 

1 hour ago, Pumas_committed_bottleneck said:

I don't know why they are doing this when the Scarlet in coming out.

This is Project Scarlett. Same as the Xbox one X was called "Project Scorpio". Their project names aren't the final marketing names.

2 hours ago, Pumas_committed_bottleneck said:

I don't know why they are doing this when the Scarlet in coming out. Woudln't they want to drive the most people to the scarlett first?

This is scarlet. Scarlet is just the project name not the product name. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, JZStudios said:

You haven't read the previous posts have you?

But otherwise something about God Of War looked very off to me but I can't nail what.

It is the same. 4K is a resolution.

You also didn't read the last 4 comments.

No it isn't. It's not the same for obviously reasons. You take the same game and look at it on pc vs console at 4k and you can clearly tell the difference so to say they are the same is a straight up lie. 

8 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

At this point why not just stick to Windows? 

Because windows does a lot of shit in the background,  is the opposite of streamlined, has a ton of features I'll never use or that actively annoy me and the features for gaming specifically are a joke.

It's not that it's all bad - it works (mostly), it plays games, but the UI and structure is god awful and tedious to use. It's literally this windows in windows in windows concept that annoys me to no end,  there's no discernable structure other than "yeah, we have windows, how practical"  (it's not) 

It somehow feels straight out of the nineties,  never evolved other than getting more convoluted and impractical over the years.

Of course,  I have no idea if a "console OS" would be any better and how locked down that would be... 

If it means the difference between mods and no mods I take the convoluted,  old fashioned and highly tedious keyboard and mouse OS over the easy to navigate shiny console OS everyday to be honest. 

?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

40 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

No it isn't. It's not the same for obviously reasons. You take the same game and look at it on pc vs console at 4k and you can clearly tell the difference so to say they are the same is a straight up lie. 

Sure it’s not going to look the same. But that has nothing to do with 4K.  It won’t look the same at 1080p either but that doesn’t change the fact that 1080p is, in fact, 1080p. 

A computer running a GTX 980 at 4K/medium is not going to look the same as one running a 2080 Ti with graphics settings maxed. 

Yet both are, in fact, 4K. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I think the term @Brooksie359 is looking for is "rendering resolution." A lot of games on the PS4 Pro don't render at 4K natively, but they are scaled up to 4K and output that way.

Unless that's not what was meant. Then no, a rendering resolution of 4K is 4K regardless of what platform you run it on.

So apparently the product is just called the Xbox while Series X is just the specific model name, so that means that we've had three Xbox consoles in a row with essentially the same name.

For those of you not keeping track, that'd be the Xbox, Xbox One and... Xbox.

microsoft wyd

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

4K is just a resolution.

4K on a PC and 4K on a console is the same - they both have resolutions of 3840 x 2160.

Now if you want to talk about graphical fidelity - sure, a high end gaming PC running a modern AAA title at Ultra/maxed graphics settings is going to look better, in most cases, than the same game on a One X or PS4 Pro.

But that's not 4K. That's not resolution.

Further to that, were you not the one that claimed that consoles didn't do "true 4K"? Which is straight up false.

I don't disagree that marketing uses 4K as a catch-all that may imply more than it is - but that happens regardless of whether it's PC, Console, AppleTV, or whatever.

Current gen "pro" versions of the consoles can do 4K. Period. "True" 4K. The next gen ones will also be able to do 4K - possibly at higher frame rates even - likely with much better fidelity than the current gen consoles.

Ok I would like to first point out that I never once said that console 4k was not 4k but rather it wasn't the same as 4k on PC because they are two different experiences. I also explicitly said that consoles do technically play at 4k because they do so I do not see where you are getting me saying that it isn't real 4k. I was saying that quality settings matter because saying something runs games in 4k means jack all without determining visual quality settings. I imagine the new consoles 4k will likely mean alot more than the current gen consoles because the quality settings will likely be much improved. my main problem was people insisting that quality settings are irrelevant because in reality they are more relevant than some marketing gimmick saying it runs at 4k like that means anything without context.

40 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I imagine the new consoles 4k will likely mean alot more than the current gen consoles because the quality settings will likely be much improved.

That's true,  but I suppose it'll still run pretty bad mostly,  and they'll still be cutting corners (physics,  AI, etc) where you don't actually see it... 

Hope I'm wrong because it could be done a lot more interesting stuff with nowadays tech,  but it's all held back by race to highest resolutions, which ultimately is just a gimmick if it's the main / only focus. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather we stopped calling it 4K because it isn't really 4K... but that's a whole 'nother other battle...

As for the consoles, I'm actually interested in the higher refresh rates they want to push. TVs don't really do high refresh rates (MotionRate120 (and other 'brand flavors) is not real 120Hz refresh rate, let alone 144 or 240), but they do HDR much better than PCs. I'm in the market for a new TV, so I guess I'll wait a bit longer to see what I should pair up with the Xbox/PS5

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I think the term @Brooksie359 is looking for is "rendering resolution." A lot of games on the PS4 Pro don't render at 4K natively, but they are scaled up to 4K and output that way.

Unless that's not what was meant. Then no, a rendering resolution of 4K is 4K regardless of what platform you run it on.

Perhaps so - but even in that case, it's still incorrect. While a lot of games render at lower resolutions and upscale, some indeed do run and are rendered at native 4K - same with on the One X.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Ok I would like to first point out that I never once said that console 4k was not 4k but rather it wasn't the same as 4k on PC because they are two different experiences. I also explicitly said that consoles do technically play at 4k because they do so I do not see where you are getting me saying that it isn't real 4k. I was saying that quality settings matter because saying something runs games in 4k means jack all without determining visual quality settings. I imagine the new consoles 4k will likely mean alot more than the current gen consoles because the quality settings will likely be much improved. my main problem was people insisting that quality settings are irrelevant because in reality they are more relevant than some marketing gimmick saying it runs at 4k like that means anything without context.

I'll concede that you didn't outright say "4K on consoles is fake" - but you kept saying the same thing over and over again "4K on console isn't comparable to 4K on PC".

Which is false.

4K is a resolution.

That's it.

3840 x 2160 is the same on Xbox One X as it is on any PC capable of that resolution.

If you mean graphical fidelity, then say so. Stop talking about 4K when that's irrelevant. Start talking about the actual differences - higher graphical settings, etc.

And it's true, with some PC's. A PC running a 2080 Ti with graphics settings set to Ultra/Max is going to most likely look better than an Xbox One X running the same game - regardless of what resolutions are being used in either machine.

But that has nothing to do with 4K.

Examples of your language below:

On 12/13/2019 at 3:34 PM, Brooksie359 said:

4k on the xbox and 4k on pc for read dead redemption 2 is not really a good comparison seeing as the game has vastly superior visuals in the pc port of the game. 

On 12/16/2019 at 1:08 AM, Brooksie359 said:

But it is 100% relevant. The main point is that the 4k figure is kinda marketing bs because 4k on console isn't comparable to 4k on pc. 

17 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

43 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather we stopped calling it 4K because it isn't really 4K... but that's a whole 'nother other battle...

As for the consoles, I'm actually interested in the higher refresh rates they want to push. TVs don't really do high refresh rates (MotionRate120 (and other 'brand flavors) is not real 120Hz refresh rate, let alone 144 or 240), but they do HDR much better than PCs. I'm in the market for a new TV, so I guess I'll wait a bit longer to see what I should pair up with the Xbox/PS5

Pretty sure there are a few TVs that do true 120hz at 4K now and more will be coming in the next couple years as HDMI 2.1 gets adopted. Since DisplayPort was a nonstarter on TVs they’re stuck with whatever HDMI versions support.