Xbox Series X

The1Dickens
4 hours ago, Caroline said:

no one is buying discs because companies stopped offering games in said format because they think the whole world has 1Gbps internet but thing is world=south korea+japan+western europe+US for them.

Not even that, the entire midwest US has relatively slow and limited internet.

#Muricaparrotgang

16 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Not even that, the entire midwest US has relatively slow and limited internet.

the ENTIRE midwest USA, really

that is news to me

what kind of speeds are they maxxing out at?

8 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

the ENTIRE midwest USA, really

that is news to me

what kind of speeds are they maxxing out at?

It's not the entire Midwest, it's just that the Midwest has a lot of stretches of rural land and rural areas never get good choices. 

Any (or at least most) urban or suburban area in the Midwest will have the usual duopoly of Comcast/Verizon and then some other shittier local ISP. On Comcast I get 100/12 for $70 a month, and they have plenty of plans in my area up to 2 gigabit, I believe.

If you live out past the suburbs, though, you're probably stuck with either satellite or dialup. Maybe DSL if you're lucky. 

19 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

It's not the entire Midwest, it's just that the Midwest has a lot of stretches of rural land and rural areas never get good choices. 

Any (or at least most) urban or suburban area in the Midwest will have the usual duopoly of Comcast/Verizon and then some other shittier local ISP. On Comcast I get 100/12 for $70 a month, and they have plenty of plans in my area up to 2 gigabit, I believe.

If you live out past the suburbs, though, you're probably stuck with either satellite or dialup. Maybe DSL if you're lucky. 

can confirm, Midwesterner with satellite here

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

33 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

Yep.  Reason for a while I went back to a console.  No DSL nor cable.   Either you pay high prices for Sat with horrible data caps and pings or pay for a so called Unlimited plan with hotspot with a cellular company. 

On the topic of the upcoming Xbox, the shape don't really bother me, since I tend to just take any console, place it in a spot, and maybe only give it a glance when I power it on.  So, how one looks is not really a high priority in my opinion.  Of course, I be waiting out for when the console is officially out and reviews drop.  Curious when info for official specs will be released.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Waffles13 said:

It really depends on the specific city. I live in rural parts of MN and where I’m out our “best” option is CenturyLink DSL. It maxes out at 30mbs and is not terribly reliable. However, some cities around me have better internet and one even has Spectrum with 100mbs connections. So the Midwest is really a city-by-city basis.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:19 PM, Caroline said:

paid online and you can't "verify" games without being online

consoles are a joke

What are you talking about? Console games don’t require you to go online to do anything except get updates. You can pop in a disc, wait for the install, and play while being offline.

• 2 months later...

Here is Austin's video about the new Xbox:

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 12/19/2019 at 9:43 PM, Derangel said:

What are you talking about? Console games don’t require you to go online to do anything except get updates. You can pop in a disc, wait for the install, and play while being offline.

wasnt there a couple times an update was required to play certain games from disc though

cant remember though because thought I saw it in the news few yrs ago

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm 🤔........Only thing missing here is a dust filter. It would have been a tremendous help knowing they don't like people opening up their consoles. Hopefully they'll sell those desperately. 

Inside Xbox Series X - How Microsoft Redefined The Console Form Factor:

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

On 3/17/2020 at 4:23 AM, pas008 said:

wasnt there a couple times an update was required to play certain games from disc though

cant remember though because thought I saw it in the news few yrs ago

I live off grid and the vast majority of the time you can just play straight from disc but i tend to just download the day 1 patch and then cut the net off again, my consoles go months without getting connected to the net. 

On 12/12/2019 at 7:10 PM, Belgarathian said:

Not to be confused with the Xbox one X. 

The last couple of generations haven't been kind to Xbox.

Microsoft did that to themselves at the launch of the Xbox one. Then they backpedaled and did a complete 720.

On 12/13/2019 at 12:56 PM, The1Dickens said:

Project Scarlett has a face, and an official name.

Xbox Series X

All the stuff we have heard about previously, at least in writing officially now.

Claiming to have backwards compatibility from Gen1 Xbox up through to Xbox One available on day 1.

Doesn't say how many titles will be available at launch, but Halo: Infinite will be (so far, assuming no delays), and it also looks like Hellblade 2 will be (the trailer is in the article).

Depending on how this next year goes, and what other games are available at launch, I might find myself picking one of these up. I actually like the design, though I have a feeling it'll be divisive. They say there will be a new base controller, but I haven't seen anything on it yet, as well as the new Elite 2. Not quite sure how I feel about the name, though, and I can't really think of any way to follow the previous naming conventions. It's not the worst, but it does sound like it's allowing for some sort of sub-sets/variations/customizations (customized/themed consoles, etc.).

if this is 100% going to happen, i'm going to definitely pick one up.

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2