LG patent phone with 16 lenses

NumLock21

LG has recently show off one of their patent, which involves their future smart phone might have 16 lens. There are currently a few phones out their with multiple camera lens, where each lens changes the outcome of what the person is about to take, for LG's 16 lens design,

the goal of the multiple cameras seems to be to offer different angles on a scene using the perspective of the different lenses.

LG’s patent also describes combining the different camera angles to create a miniature film, sort of like a superpowered version of things like Apple’s Live Photos or Lytro’s adjustable light field images. The patent also claims that it’d be able to use the different datasets from the different lenses to cut out things from the image (say, for things like portrait mode or even replacing a background entirely).

As of now, it's just a patent and LG's 16 lens camera might now see the day anytime soon, but with phone manufactures running out of ideas on how to make their phone stand out from the rest. Looks like LG's 16 lens camera might come out very very soon.

1306471721_Lglens.png.b71ac0f2d8863620a0509833fa2d841c.png

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/11/26/18112728/lg-patent-16-lens-smartphone-camera-array-photography

More pictures at

https://nl.letsgodigital.org/smartphones/lg-smartphone-camera/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

16 terrible cameras don't add up to 1 good camera

for some reason I feel like they are going to try and stitch the image together to get better res and wider FOV

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Why not just have one much bigger sensor and have actual good image quality that won't be plagued by bad software (because if we already can't get 2 cameras working properly then 16 is going to be interesting)

That's an F in the profile pic

I mean people are complaining that phones over the past 2 years havent changed much and reviewers praising more cameras. You people are doing this to yourselves.

Or you know just get a half descent DSLR and call it a day. People complain about phones not changing because there isn't anything more that can be done with phones. This happens to everything eventually, just look at cameras and TV's. They stopped making drastic changes and focused on making slight improvements. Because it turns out you can't just keep slapping on new features and hoping it works out.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

6 minutes ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

Or you know just get a half descent DSLR and call it a day. People complain about phones not changing because there isn't anything more that can be done with phones. This happens to everything eventually, just look at cameras and TV's. They stopped making drastic changes and focused on making slight improvements. Because it turns out you can't just keep slapping on new features and hoping it works out.

There is a point where changes need to stop and fine adjustments should be the only things happening. If not the device is constantly broke in certain aspects.

I am personally glad about the stagnant designs of current phones, laptops, tvs.

So it's going to be more like the Light camera. At least they're trying to do something different. Gotta give credit where credit is due. We wouldn't have the Note line without such attempts. I'd personally like to see something more like Panasonic's phone with a 1" sensor, but I don't imagine that'll happen until they find a way to shrink it down.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

31 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

There is a point where changes need to stop and fine adjustments should be the only things happening. If not the device is constantly broke in certain aspects.

I am personally glad about the stagnant designs of current phones, laptops, tvs.

I agree.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Or just put one big good lense...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, Rune said:

I want a phone that is a phone and mp3 player and has a two month battery.

Then buy new nokia 8110 4G phone and use it on 2g network mode without playing or doing anything other then calling and texting smss not so frequently on it.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

8 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Then buy new nokia 8110 4G phone and use it on 2g network mode without playing or doing anything other then calling and texting smss not so frequently on it.

This is uncannily specific...

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Remember that time Sony had a camera and they slammed a phone on it and everyone called it ridiculous? How is this any different?

I really don't get the point of having 2 cameras on a phone. One normal and one wide angle. And that's it. I've had Huawei Ascend P7 and it made amazing photos. Now I'm on Xiaomi Mi5 and it's making great photos. Both single camera. Currently it's literally a dick measuring contest and nothing else...

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Remember that time Sony had a camera and they slammed a phone on it and everyone called it ridiculous? How is this any different?

I really don't get the point of having 2 cameras on a phone. One normal and one wide angle. And that's it. I've had Huawei Ascend P7 and it made amazing photos. Now I'm on Xiaomi Mi5 and it's making great photos. Both single camera. Currently it's literally a dick measuring contest and nothing else...

I do think some of these multi-camera systems are getting a bit ridiculous, but two rear cameras?  That's actually quite useful.  I find myself using the telephoto lens on the iPhone XS all the time, because it allows me to compose shots that would be impractical on a typical phone camera.  It's certainly a luxury, but it's a genuinely useful luxury.

Next up: 

The Spider phone - from Spiders for Spiders

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

14 hours ago, RejZoR said:

13 hours ago, Commodus said:

I do think some of these multi-camera systems are getting a bit ridiculous, but two rear cameras?  That's actually quite useful.  I find myself using the telephoto lens on the iPhone XS all the time, because it allows me to compose shots that would be impractical on a typical phone camera.  It's certainly a luxury, but it's a genuinely useful luxury.

I use the Telephoto on my XS, but only for 2x optical zoom. Couldn't care less about bokeh, and I wish the Optical zoom would be prioritized over other things, since everyone is going to zoom their camera but I suspect only a fraction will use bokeh. If Optical Zoom could somehow be improved to say, 5x, then that would probably be one of the biggest advancements in smartphone design in the past 3 years. Imagine the marketing material comparing digital vs optically zoomed images at 5x, it wouldn't even be a contest. That being said I'm not an Optical expert and doubt something like 5x is physically feasible but I can dream.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Honestly.....I don't get it.

I love innovation as much as everyone else, but I'm still struggling to find an actual real-world use case for a phone which has 16 individual camera modules.

The source claims it'll be used to gather different scenes alongside features like object deletion, but those are oddly specific, and something that I don't think will be all that commonly used by many people aside from yours truly.

Personally, the camera setup on the LG V40 and Huawei Mate20 Pro are about as versatile as can be for general purpose phone photography (a main module that delivers good IQ across the board, with a secondary wide-angle/zoom module for certain situations. Not as good as the main camera but the added flexibility is seriously handy). I just can't see why 16 lenses are necessary, especially since LG's camera software processing is known to be kind of subpar.

I'd probably put more weight into improving the core photography results and experience.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1